Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 10:38
I bought it the day it was released and I expected more like W&W but it didn't deliver the goods in any way shape or form.  I remember I kept listening to it expecting to all of a sudden discover it's greatness but it never happened.  I just kept thinking I should like it because I loved Genesis so much.  Finally I realized that it was a bad album, which is okay.  Not every slugger hits a homer every time he steps to the plate.  There was a lot of turmoil in the band's individual lives at that time and I think the resulting sub-par compositions reflect that fact.  The real irony is that they got their breakout single from it and it turned their attention away from prog and towards the MTV generation for the rest of their career.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 10:55
I like it, always have. I've always felt there was enough great prog tracks like 'The Lady Lies', 'Burning Rope' and 'Deep In The Motherlode', plus two of Tony Banks' very best songs in 'Undertow' and 'Many Too Many'. There are no weak songs there, imo.
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 12:35
Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

You know what song really rules on "And Then There Were Three" ?
Say It's Alright Joe.

Man, that song is suicidal. I like the weird stuff.

Also, "Get out of the way fat man, you've got something to do", ughh...it's called......can't remember. Something like "Go West Young Man". Really killer killer Rutherford song. Deep in the Motherloade? Is that it?  

That song is "Illegal Alien", funny, man !! LOL
And the video too !! LOL
cevor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:00
the penultimate album in Genesis's progression ( imho) then Duke ended it..
perhaps due to Phil's solo career not happening yet, don't know, but I still love Then There Were Three...the tour was great to with the mirrors above the stage and all....
who was breaking away from the pack

http://www.childhoodsend.net
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:16
Well...

Definitely underrated (though probably not quite as good as some of the fanatics would have it (LOL)).

Still, in many of my reviews of neo-prog albums, I have made the (quite surprised) comment that the overall "sound" that Genesis created on W&W and ATTWT is among the most influential "sounds" ever, given how many bands and albums evoke that sound.

I am an unabashed fan of ATTWT, and make no apologies for it.  It has two of their absolute best "ballads" (Snowbound and Undertow), one of their best "heavies" (Down and Out), and even an excellent "extended" composition (Burning Rope).  And all of the other songs have their positive qualities and help to round out what is unquestionably Genesis' most underrated album.

Peace.
Hector Gilbert View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:18
A lot of it sounds like a watered-down Wind & Wuthering, with the exception of the final track "Follow You, Follow Me" which is about as faceless as Genesis with Phil Collins ever got in my eyes (even before all the 80s stuff). I was never hugely impressed by it. In fact much of Wind & Wuthering lost its charm after a few listens as well, a lot of it was quite syrupy.

I do however like Duke and Abacab, the two albums where I felt the three-man Genesis found a character of their own. I wouldn't be as keen on them as I would be with any 70s Gabriel-era album, but I enjoy them nonetheless.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:58
Although there's some good material on ATTWT it sounds unfocused, almost like a set of demos for 3 seperate solo careers polished up with a few collaborative pieces padding it out.

Duke is a much better album IMO - more coherent, and the last great Genesis album.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 15:57
Not as good as anything before it by Genesis, but quite good. Better than anything they released after, except Duke.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 16:12
Not a big fan, I do rather like abacab though.
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 16:14
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Not a big fan, I do rather like abacab though.

I like Abacab more too, it's more consistent and enjoyable.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Harold Demure View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 16:48
Quite a good album, with some great tracks like "Burning Rope", but also some rubbish like "Follow You Follow Me". The same with the album "Duke". I think it would be a good idea to choose best tracks from both of them and record on a one disc. Then it would be a fantastic "album"
You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice
dralan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 16:53
 Actually this album was my first exposure to Genesis, so I'll always have a soft spot for it. After going back and discovering the rest of their catalog there are better albums of course. But this disc still has the mid-period trademark Genesis sound (sans Hacketts guitar), the songs are just shorter. Its kind of sad to listen to though because in hindsight it was the beginning of the end of Genesis' progressive era.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 17:25

Although taste is subjective, I honestly cannot see how anyone can say that Abacab is a better album than ATTWT.  The only truly stand-out songs on Abacab are the title track (maybe), Me and Sarah Jane (maybe), Dodo/Lurker (unquestionably), and Like It or Not (maybe).  No Reply At All is Collins-pop, Keep It Dark is silly, Who Dunnit is out-and-out stupid, Man On the Corner is Collins-pop again, and Another Record is uninspired and weak.

Meanwhile, as noted, ATTWT offers Down and Out (an excellent "heavy"), Undertow (among their best "ballads"), Snowbound (another excellent ballad), Burning Rope (a "classic" extended composition), Deep in the Motherlode (a solid rocker), Many Too Many (another good ballad), Say It's Alright, Joe (one of the most emotional quasi-Gabriel-esque songs they've done), and The Lady Lies (a reasonably good story-song).  Only Ballad of Big, Scenes From a Night's Dream and Follow You Follow Me are questionable.

With the exception of the fact that Dodo/Lurker kicks butt on anything in ATTWT, song for song ATTWT seems better thanb Abacab.

But, as they say, opinions are like noses...

Peace.
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 18:39
IMO, ATTWT is Genesis's second weakest album after Tresspass. It is just a collection of short 'POP' songs. At least subsequent Collin's era albums had an epic track. I saw them on The Duke Tour, and they played Say It's Alright Joe in the set, that was a major dissapointment!

Edited by Progger - June 24 2006 at 19:01
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 21:00
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Although taste is subjective, I honestly cannot see how anyone can say that Abacab is a better album than ATTWT.  The only truly stand-out songs on Abacab are the title track (maybe), Me and Sarah Jane (maybe), Dodo/Lurker (unquestionably), and Like It or Not (maybe).  No Reply At All is Collins-pop, Keep It Dark is silly, Who Dunnit is out-and-out stupid, Man On the Corner is Collins-pop again, and Another Record is uninspired and weak.

Meanwhile, as noted, ATTWT offers Down and Out (an excellent "heavy"), Undertow (among their best "ballads"), Snowbound (another excellent ballad), Burning Rope (a "classic" extended composition), Deep in the Motherlode (a solid rocker), Many Too Many (another good ballad), Say It's Alright, Joe (one of the most emotional quasi-Gabriel-esque songs they've done), and The Lady Lies (a reasonably good story-song).  Only Ballad of Big, Scenes From a Night's Dream and Follow You Follow Me are questionable.

With the exception of the fact that Dodo/Lurker kicks butt on anything in ATTWT, song for song ATTWT seems better thanb Abacab.

But, as they say, opinions are like noses...

Peace.

I think Maaini says it all to be honest!! Great respect for most of the A-B-A-C-A-B sound too...thank you.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
70sSoundquality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 00:08
Quote  Only Ballad of Big, Scenes From a Night's Dream and Follow You Follow Me are questionable.

Peace.

No they aren't!!
Ballad of Big is friggin' amazing. I love the arranging, vocals and harmonies are amazing, and I die everytime I hear that CP-70 piano intro with analog chorus. It's a trip! Scene's is another well written piece, and a really great rhythm. Follow you Follow Me  is the only song that I might consider "pop", but still, it doesn't really count as pop. It still has a "hippie" sort of feel to it, the synthesizers just kind of exclude it from standard pop in my opinion as it also uses classic Banks chord transitions.  

I don't understand how so many people can say there is "pop" on this album. Typically, I don't speak ill of an album unless I know I could do better. Better of course, is subjective. I dislike 90125 by yes, tremendously, but I'll never say its "rubbish" or "watered down" because I know I could never write melodies and songs like that. I think what is needed here is perspective.
If the trio said "f**k it, no more Genesis...we'll start a separate three piece band" and recorded ATTWT, I'm sure people's opinions wouldn't merely be based on what Genesis recorded 4 years prior when they were a completely different band. It's my favorite album by them, but I know that Lamb is just as good. It's just made with a completely different goal in mind. If they were "losing inspiration" I'm sure they would just not make an album. It's not like they needed the money. The creativity flows on this album, on every song. Just like all of the previous efforts as well (I've not heard anything past ATTWT, except the Tony Banks solo album from 1979 which is all badass).   

Edited by 70sSoundquality - June 25 2006 at 00:09
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 00:39
Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

Quote  Only Ballad of Big, Scenes From a Night's Dream and Follow You Follow Me are questionable.

Peace.

No they aren't!!

Ballad of Big is friggin' amazing. I love the arranging, vocals and harmonies are amazing, and I die everytime I hear that CP-70 piano intro with analog chorus. It's a trip! Scene's is another well written piece, and a really great rhythm. Follow you Follow Me  is the only song that I might consider "pop", but still, it doesn't really count as pop. It still has a "hippie" sort of feel to it, the synthesizers just kind of exclude it from standard pop in my opinion as it also uses classic Banks chord transitions.  

I don't understand how so many people can say there is "pop" on this album. Typically, I don't speak ill of an album unless I know I could do better. Better of course, is subjective. I dislike 90125 by yes, tremendously, but I'll never say its "rubbish" or "watered down" because I know I could never write melodies and songs like that. I think what is needed here is perspective.

If the trio said "f**k it, no more Genesis...we'll start a separate three piece band" and recorded ATTWT, I'm sure people's opinions wouldn't merely be based on what Genesis recorded 4 years prior when they were a completely different band. It's my favorite album by them, but I know that Lamb is just as good. It's just made with a completely different goal in mind. If they were "losing inspiration" I'm sure they would just not make an album. It's not like they needed the money. The creativity flows on this album, on every song. Just like all of the previous efforts as well (I've not heard anything past ATTWT, except the Tony Banks solo album from 1979 which is all badass).   

Easy my friend, It's O.K. It is a good album. The point is that it is Genesis, and is not as strong as their previous releases. You have to compare when talking about one band's output. It is a better album than others in the genre, just not one of Genesis' best. Of course, it is all subjective. If it's your favorite, great, but don't get hurt when others don't feel the same way. As a prog fan, it comes with the territory.   
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 04:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Its an album I've liked for a long time.Banks,Rutherford and Collins had plenty to prove after the departure of Hackett.It was just after punk was changing the face of the musical landscape.It really could have gone tits up but the remaining G Boys come out swinging for me.Ultra tight playing with a production that highlights the patented Genesis wall of sound and most importantly some cracking songs.A great mixture of 'commercial' radio friendly songs and short classic epics this album works beautifully.Its the last Genesis album I can happily listen to in its entirety.Duke showed a few too many cracks and the dam burst when they made the excrement of Abacab.

This echoes my feelings about this album.

This was the first Genesis album I heard in its entirity, on a tape cassette, hired from the library. It's a great album, full of strong melodies and memorable songs. It's the perfect bridge between 'WAW' and 'Duke'

I have to disagree about Duke, though. I think it's their last excelent album!

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 09:59
I happen to like Duke as well (only slightly less than ATTWT), and agree that it was the last truly listenable Genesis album (though Invisible Touch did have Tonight Tonight and the truly brilliant Domino suite to recommend it...)

Many people may not be aware that Duke was written by Collins during the break-up of his marriage.  This was the impetus behind much of the lyrics (Guide Vocal being particularly poignant), and, to my mind, one of the things that holds the album together; i.e., the raw emotion that was coming from Collins' real-life experience.

Peace.
harlequin71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 10:14
I actually prefer ATTWT to the previous effort Wind and Wuthering because of the stronger compositions, even though the former is more of a proggish-pop-A.O.R.  album compared to the more typical symphonic progressive of WAW.
However, neither come close to the majesty of the 1970-1975 era of genesis. Trick of the Tail was their last great LP in my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>