Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 02:47
Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

You know what song really rules on "And Then There Were Three" ?
Say It's Alright Joe. Man, that song is suicidal.

Good call pointing out this ignored classic. "S.I.A.J." is extremely powerful, in an artsy way. Phil helps this along by really belting out the vocals on the final chorus.
LDL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 11:44
  One of my favourites as well.Smile
Dr4Wazo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 22:31
I can't stand Phil Collins singning on most of Genesis songs (until they got completely unprogressive) It's somekind of sickness that I have that makes me hide infront of Wind & Wuthering and ...And Then They Were Three.

"Mëem Otsilennhetëe Dros Sun Surra Steuhn Do Nansei"
Liquid Len View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 18:11
My favorite Phil era studio albums:

1- A Trick of the Tail
2- And Then There Were Three
3- Wind & Wuthering
4- Duke
5- We Can't Dance
6- Genesis
7- Invisible Touch
8- Abacab

And yes, all of the Gabriel albums are infinitely better! 

Can you tell me where my country lies?
Losendos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 06:52
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Originally posted by mgallard mgallard wrote:

Actually people that have a mind and opinion of their own couldn't care less what whomever rates something. Abacab, their worst album? That's plain and simply BS, though I am sure most prog snobs will get back to me on this one, but that's fine, they are in the end just snobs LOL.

It's a great album and certainly ten times better than most the music that was coming out at that time in 1981. Now, just for the record, I certainly enjoy Foxtrot or Lamb Lies Down more than Abacab, but I still enjoy it as a change from time to time too and the whole record is fun to listen to. I doubt anyone can mention a similar record from anyone in 1981, they are completely original even when making shorter songs.

People that don't know much about music, haven't heard it, or deny themselves the chance to hear it, refer to "ratings" and such stuff, is that your case too Melo-mini-ac? If so, open your mind, listen and get an opinion of your own.

Mogens
I bought Abacab some ten years ago, and tried as I might, I found it plain horrid.  I gave it enough spins to make my own opinion of it, believe me.  In the end I sold it to a used records store.  Just my taste!
About not knowing much about music, I will turn 32 this September and have been playing music since I was 10, and was already a Floyd fan at the age of 5, so I won't even bother with that.  Sorry that other people's opinions offend you that much !

Peace !
I also agree that Abacab is a very ordinary record only worsened by the terrible Invisble Touch . There were much better releases in 1981.
How wonderful to be so profound
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 12:01
Originally posted by Liquid Len Liquid Len wrote:

My favorite Phil era studio albums:

1- A Trick of the Tail
2- And Then There Were Three
3- Wind & Wuthering

And yes, all of the Gabriel albums are infinitely better!

My kind of list, except I think Trick is as good as anything they did with Pete.
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 11:01
[
My kind of list, except I think Trick is as good as anything they did with Pete.
[/QUOTE]

I can only agree !
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
mgallard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 12:30
Originally posted by Losendos Losendos wrote:

I also agree that Abacab is a very ordinary record only worsened by the terrible Invisble Touch . There were much better releases in 1981.

Just tends to confirm what I say, people give opinions on things they don't even know. Abacab DOES NOT INCLUDE Invisible Touch! Invisible Touch was published 5 years later, in 1986!

Listen to the records and THEN give an opinion.

Greetings

Mogens
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 18:19
anyone who enjoys and then there were three is just sorta lost when it comes to what makes great music.  The effects used on that, no matter how well you enjoy banks solos, the synth sound AWFUL.

The drumming is awful, the vocals are phil colins who is a disney singer fruit fly, omg its just miserable.

I will listen to music from the 80's when I turn homosexual and want to have a dance party with my gay friends and lather eachother u-p with vasaline to the sounds of 80's genesis and other awful bands from this era.  slap eachothers asses a little, dance around, get some apple juice and a bonnet

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 18:30
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

anyone who enjoys and then there were three is just sorta lost when it comes to what makes great music.  The effects used on that, no matter how well you enjoy banks solos, the synth sound AWFUL.

The drumming is awful, the vocals are phil colins who is a disney singer fruit fly, omg its just miserable.

I will listen to music from the 80's when I turn homosexual and want to have a dance party with my gay friends and lather eachother u-p with vasaline to the sounds of 80's genesis and other awful bands from this era.  slap eachothers asses a little, dance around, get some apple juice and a bonnet

¿So, what do you listen, now that you are an awfull homophobic who thinks that the secret of the univers regarding what makes music being good or bad is in his hand?. No offense.

¡Beware of the Bee!

mgallard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 19:07
Oh, now we have 9 year olds responding Prog threads (The Last Fart), no need to answer asinine posts like those.

Mogens
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 21:03
My post of June 28 suggested that this thread was in danger of being shut down. The quality of posts here has taken sudden but not unexpected turn for the worse which is a shame because it has provoked some interesting discussion. Would someone please do us all a favour and put this thread out of its degenerate misery. Those of us who have appreciated this thread will remember why!
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 22:14
<<anyone who enjoys and then there were three is just sorta lost when it comes to what makes great music.>>

Blanket statements like this are not only uncalled for, but pretty friggin' insulting. I like it and I'm far from "lost", my friend. Maybe you should keep generalizations like this to yourself. An rotten thing to say.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 22:15
<<I will listen to music from the 80's when I turn homosexual and want to have a dance party with my gay friends and lather eachother u-p with vasaline to the sounds of 80's genesis and other awful bands from this era. slap eachothers asses a little, dance around, get some apple juice and a bonnet>>

And the post only gets worse. Listen, the next time you have a thought, do us a favor and let it go.

E
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 22:32
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

No matter where I might stand on this issue, this could be the most immature, offensive, and idiodic post I have seen here.

That is, of course, just my opinion.

ldlanberg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 00:02
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

the excrement of Abacab.

Opinions respected but puleeeze...!!!!

Abacab makes the Porcupine Tree's and Neil Morses of today look tardy.....Genesis evolved until Invisible Touch ( that was regression) and even then tried really hard with WCD and CAS but Abacab was above the averages.....excrement my arse.

Abacab -- the full length title track -- was the darndest thing any of us had heard, at that time. Everyone thought that was the coolest jam. Its sudden appearance on FM airwaves was like a hook from left field, or, outer space.

It was very progressive for that time.

LDL
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 03:28

This thread has run its course, and is degenerating rapidly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567