Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 04:48
Originally posted by Prog-man Prog-man wrote:

W&W... GREAT ALBUM!

NOT THE BEST OF THE COLLINS ERA (SECONDS OUT, W&W & ATOTT WERE MORE PROGRESSSIVE).

Collins era begins with Nursery Cryme!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 05:14
Originally posted by Royalist Royalist wrote:

W&W... GREAT ALBUM!

NOT THE BEST OF THE COLLINS ERA (SECONDS OUT, W&W & ATOTT WERE MORE PROGRESSSIVE).

'Collins era' refers to when Phil Collins became lead singer. Not when he joined the band.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 05:16
He became a lead singer on "Trick of a tail" as I know.
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 13:56
Hailin' "And then there were three" is definately something I can agree with... it's a wonderful album with beautiful songs, some of them ranking among the very best Genesis ever did ( Undertow !!! ), to me, it's the last "great prog"-Album they did, although anyone can easily complain about the absence of Steve Hackett... see, he may have been right with "Wind and Wuthering", to me it's a rather tired ( not tedious ) Album that could have been better ( Inside & Out on it and it WERE ! ), but "ATTWT" is great and powerful...
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 15:29
Originally posted by pero pero wrote:

He became a lead singer on "Trick of a tail" as I know.

Correct. Fine album.

Liquid Len View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 17:22
Originally posted by necromancing777 necromancing777 wrote:

My favorite Phil era studio albums in order:

1- A Trick of the Tail
2- Wind & Wuthering
3- Duke
4- And Then There Were Three
5- Abacab
6- Genesis
7- Invisible Touch
8- We Can't Dance

I wish I had a choice for my favourite 'Phil era' album, apart from Trick I can't stand any of them, with W&W being truely awful!!

Edited by Liquid Len - June 28 2006 at 17:38
Can you tell me where my country lies?
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 18:06
Originally posted by Liquid Len Liquid Len wrote:

I wish I had a choice for my favourite 'Phil era' album, apart from Trick I can't stand any of them, with W&W being truely awful!!
Odd. I find TotT and WaW to be two peas in a pod (except that Trick doesn't have anything quite as banal Your Own Special Way on it).

Eleventh Earl of Mar, Wot Gorilla and the closing trio from Unqiet Slumbers to Afterglow is as good as almost anything he band has ever done, even counting Gabriel era. And Blood on the Rooftops is a Phil-led Genesis ballad done right - certainly better than Ripples on TotT.
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 18:26
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Originally posted by Liquid Len Liquid Len wrote:

Odd. I find TotT and WaW to be two peas in a pod (except that Trick doesn't have anything quite as banal Your Own Special Way on it).

Eleventh Earl of Mar, Wot Gorilla and the closing trio from Unqiet Slumbers to Afterglow is as good as almost anything he band has ever done, even counting Gabriel era. And Blood on the Rooftops is a Phil-led Genesis ballad done right - certainly better than Ripples on TotT.

Clap this sequence is absolutely stunning - definitely high on my top ten Genesis. I like both TotT and WaW a lot, always have. I also agree that And Then There Were Three is an excellent album in its own right with some top notch songs, just without the overt progginess. Had it been released by anyone else then it would probably be considered a masterpiece!
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 19:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Absoloute drivel.

Thankyou for that insight. Would you care to expand on this a little??

Being foolish yes I can - how's about pathetic.Genesis died on this album when keyboards replaced Steve Hackett's guitar leads.The songs were grossly inferior and the writing was on the prog wall; Genesis were no more and coming to a cinema near you soon a totally pop ridden version of a once giant of progressive music.Collins and his two other cohorts disgust me.

But great to see you listening to Olias of Sunhillow a truly stupendous album.
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 21:12
  TO JOOLZ:
  ' Had it been released by anyone else then it would probably be considered a masterpiece.'

Well, if not a masterpiece, certainly a very, very good prog. release. I agree wholeheartedly with your views and, get quite dismayed at the attitude expressed by FRAGILE and others.

"Collins and his two other cohorts disgust me" ....... WHAT THE......?

This is either unhealthily bitter and twisted or a contrived comment designed to provoke unfavourable responses and therefore repugnant to the PA ethos. We all understand the ' sold out' argument. It's been debated ad nauseam. FRAGILE must renounce all earlier GENESIS work in which Collins, Banks and Rutherford were involved if this really is the strength of his/her convictions on the matter. That's a matter for him/her.

This is a thread about ATTW3 which if it continues in this vein is no doubt in danger of being shut down which would be a shame as it has raised some interesting debate imo.

Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 21:16
Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

WHAT A GREAT ALBUM. My favorite Genesis piece!!
A+++++++++
nah
____VdGG____ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 21:17
Not a masterpiece by any stretch... but the synth solo in Down And Out OWNS, and Many Too Many and The Lady Lies are solid songs too, IMO.
Iron throated monsters are forcing the screams;
Mind and machinery box-press our dreams
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 21:17
Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

Absoloute drivel.

I agree.

When I got this album in 1978 I knew an Era had passed. Genesis were not Genesis anymore, & never were again.
Agree.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 02:14

Absoloute drivel.

Thankyou for that insight. Would you care to expand on this a little??

Being foolish yes I can - how's about pathetic.Genesis died on this album when keyboards replaced Steve Hackett's guitar leads.The songs were grossly inferior and the writing was on the prog wall; Genesis were no more and coming to a cinema near you soon a totally pop ridden version of a once giant of progressive music.Collins and his two other cohorts disgust me.

Damn those pesky keyboards,the bane of progressive rockLOL

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 05:33
^ Indeed, bloody keyboards!!

Fragile: There is plenty of guitar on ATTWT. In fact Rutherford emulates Hacketts style quite well in places I thought, although I would concede the band did really miss Hackett. The strength of this album is the songs themselves; the melodies and the atmosphere. Try to imagine the production being more like 'WAW' and dropping a few of the weaker tracks and you would have an album comparable in quality to 'WAW' IMO.

Yes, I'm enjoying Olias at the moment. It's taken me a while though. The production sounds well ahead of its time.
Royalist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 08:56

W&W... GREAT ALBUM!

'Collins era' refers to when Phil Collins became lead singer. Not when he joined the band.

Why?
tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 09:22
Isn't it quite strange that this album (ATTW3) sold better than any previous Genesis album. Maybe it was because Follow You Follow Me was a hit. IMO it is the last great record they done. I like it more than Duke and appart from two songs thought Abacab was dire. I can listen to Genesis post ATTW3 but IMO they lost the spark they had. My wife likes this album very much too and she doesn't like prog all that much.

My personal opinion on ATTW3 is that it is a very deep and dark album that is ideal for winding down to.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 09:55

W&W... GREAT ALBUM!

Why?

I understand why you say it starts with Nursery Cryme. It's Phils first album with the band. But for as long as I've been into Genesis - 20 years + - the eras of the band have always been defined by who's singing. It's not my rule but I guess it makes sense, as both singers put such a different stamp on the bands sound. By 1977 Genesis bared little resemblance to the band they were just 3 years before.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 09:59
Originally posted by tdreamer tdreamer wrote:

Isn't it quite strange that this album (ATTW3) sold better than any previous Genesis album. Maybe it was because Follow You Follow Me was a hit. IMO it is the last great record they done. I like it more than Duke and appart from two songs thought Abacab was dire. I can listen to Genesis post ATTW3 but IMO they lost the spark they had. My wife likes this album very much too and she doesn't like prog all that much.

My personal opinion on ATTW3 is that it is a very deep and dark album that is ideal for winding down to.

I always thought it was a very dark and moody album too. This is strange as I've heard it reffered to as a 'bright' album.. I find the whole package beautifully sad.

It's selling power must have been 'Follow you Follow me' It was the bands first top 10 hit, so I guess it was the first Genesis album to really catch the attention of the masses. Mike Rutherford has often said that women never went to Genesis concerts until 'Follow you follow me' came out.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 10:20

Originally posted by tdreamer tdreamer wrote:

I always thought it was a very dark and moody album too. This is strange as I've heard it reffered to as a 'bright' album.. I find the whole package beautifully sad.

It's selling power must have been 'Follow you Follow me' It was the bands first top 10 hit, so I guess it was the first Genesis album to really catch the attention of the masses. Mike Rutherford has often said that women never went to Genesis concerts until 'Follow you follow me' came out.

Well, FYFM is the only Genesis song my wife likes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>