Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 10:31
^ My ex-girlfriend liked quite a lot of Genesis, mostly the mid to late 70's Collins era. ATTWT was her favourite album, but she broke with tradition as a female Genesis fan, and really didn't like 'FYFM' Her favourite track was 'Down & Out' from that album.

This is usually the album I play to new girlfriends, or female friends generally if I'm trying to get them interested in prog. The last woman I played it to, just rolled her eyes at every track, until 'FYFM' came on, and then announced 'Oh yeah. Thats better. I know this one. Is this really Genesis. I thought it was just Phil Collins'

I think that speaks volumes about that song...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 10:43
You should be playing something like Marvin Gaye to new girlfriends, mate.WinkYou'll never get a shag by playing them Genesis.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 10:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You should be playing something like Marvin Gaye to new girlfriends, mate.[IMG]height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>You'll never get a shag by playing them Genesis.

Hey! I've done it to Suppers Ready, you know!

tdreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 15:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You should be playing something like Marvin Gaye to new girlfriends, mate.[IMG]height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>You'll never get a shag by playing them Genesis.

I like that.
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 20:18
[QUOTE=Blacksword]^ Indeed, bloody keyboards!!

Fragile: There is plenty of guitar on ATTWT. In fact Rutherford emulates Hacketts style quite well in places I thought, although I would concede the band did really miss Hackett. The strength of this album is the songs themselves; the melodies and the atmosphere. Try to imagine the production being more like 'WAW' and dropping a few of the weaker tracks and you would have an album comparable in quality to 'WAW' IMO.

Yes, I'm enjoying Olias at the moment. It's taken me a while though. The production sounds well ahead of its time.[/QUOTE

Blacksword their time was over. I had been listening all through the early years until Trick which was a fine album.Wind for me was the start that the quality had begun to diminish.Then there was this next album.I don't doubt that through their subsequent releases there would be moments that brought back memories.But the product for me was indeed drivel.I cannot listen to it.Collins is not ome of my favourite people for what he did.
mgallard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 23:35
Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Blacksword their time was over. I had been listening all through the early years until Trick which was a fine album.Wind for me was the start that the quality had begun to diminish.Then there was this next album.I don't doubt that through their subsequent releases there would be moments that brought back memories.But the product for me was indeed drivel.I cannot listen to it.Collins is not ome of my favourite people for what he did.

This is, may I say it, baloney. Phil's the bad guy now? Their time over? Huh? Not only preposterous but insulting too! If you know anything of Genesis music and their solos you'll notice they were all taking a similar route and furthermore I believe all credits (if you take the time to read the credits for all songs) will be Banks/Collins/Rutherford which is a clear enough. The route they took was their own, a group decision and what they liked at the time. Listen to Banks or Rutherford's solos of the 80's, 82 - Acting very strange, 83 - The Fugitive. I do find it quite shallow to criticise as if your own limited tastes are motive enough to limit the artistic freedom of the greats of music (for they are among the greats for sure!). They are artists and as such can decide to do whatever they like, even if you don't like it LOL. I, in opposition, find the Genesis career very enjoyable as they include a large variety of music from the most progressive prog to lighthearted and sometimes even foolish pop (Illegal Alien... for example), I have no problem with that, none at all and listen to whatever part of the career I am in a mood to hear.

All this 'putting people in a box' and expecting them never to jump out of it is so... hmmm... egoistic, shallow and foolish that I want to puke Dead Tongue.

I have a feeling much of the output that was lighter, more harmonic and less prog started appearing as the members of the group started falling in love, started their families and were inspired by those events. As I am in love, have a lovely wife and have a fabulous small boy, I have no phobia on the subject, a love song is beautiful and makes me think of my wife and kid and I enjoy it as much as any other Genesis song, it's not drivel as stated by some of the cynics here, I can see the beauty in it without any prejudice.

ATTW3 is the first album that takes a healthy distance from all the proggy subjects, no mice, cats, Lamia or squonks in that one, just people, love in general, a healthy fear of death (kids do that to you), animism, more down to earth subjects. I think many of the naysayers will change their minds and open up a bit once they really fall in love and start building a family, that will change and/or eliminate those phobias that make them suffer so much and close their minds to anything that resembles a love song (or similar) for example.

Greetings

Mogens
Baggiesfaninuk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 04:53
I don't have a problem with the evolution of Genesis from master progsters to pop superstars. They deserved success - they deserved the cash. It's just a shame they couldn't achieve that in their earlier days. Radio airplay - concentrating on singles rather than albums - made it very hard for the likes of Genesis and Yes to truly cash in on their finest music. Neither had a huge seller like Floyd's 'DSOTM' or Oldfield's 'TB'.

The fact that they did evolve proved many prog critics wrong. I liked that. Even though I didn't like their music quite so much. I remember buying Abacab, Genesis (shapes), Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance - looking at the track lengths and trying to pick out what would most appeal. I quite like the album version of the epoymous track from Abacab - mainly for the interplay between the keys and guitar at the end. I also enjoy Domino, Fading Lights, Home By the Sea, etc.... no, not as much as Supper's Ready, Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth - but they do offer some respite from the shorter poppy songs - I suppose being longer poppy / prog songs for want of a better description.

Going back on topic - ATTW3 - I find quite depressing actually. It is not an album to play when you wish to be cheered up. It sort of plods along in some parts, although Burning Rope and Many too Many do appeal - I think mainly because I do like Tony Bank's songwriting (hugely underrated). He has an ear for a fine melody and when in the right mood, some of his songs fit perfectly.

There is a strong argument for comparisons of Genesis' evolution with Collin's solo career, although, don't forget that Mike and the Mechanics weren't that far behind Phil either. Mr Banks gained little recognition for his solo work - although his collaboration with Fish on 'Another Murder of a Day' and 'An Island in the Darkness' (Strictly Inc.) still get more spins on my stereo than anything by Genesis from ATTW3 onwards - they are classics in my opinion.

As regards Duke, apart from Guide Vocal and Dukes Travels / End - I simply don't listen to it anymore. It's a shame, but with so much other good music around, I will only pick out the tracks from latter day Genesis albums that I truly like. Nothing else get's a chance. C'est la vie!

Edited by Baggiesfaninuk - June 30 2006 at 04:54
My father was a beekeeper before me; his father was a beekeeper. I want to follow in their footsteps. And their footsteps were like this. (Runs screaming) "AAAAAAAH! I'm covered in beeeeees!" - Izzard
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 05:33
Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

[QUOTE=Blacksword]^ Indeed, bloody keyboards!! [IMG]smileys/smiley7.gif" align=middle> Fragile: There is plenty of guitar on ATTWT. In fact Rutherford emulates Hacketts style quite well in places I thought, although I would concede the band did really miss Hackett. The strength of this album is the songs themselves; the melodies and the atmosphere. Try to imagine the production being more like 'WAW' and dropping a few of the weaker tracks and you would have an album comparable in quality to 'WAW' IMO. Yes, I'm enjoying Olias at the moment. It's taken me a while though. The production sounds well ahead of its time.[/QUOTE

mgallard makes some good obseravtions about the subject matter on ATTWT. Ballads like 'Undertow' are really quite overwhelming emotionally IMO. I'll never forget the impact these songs had on me when I first heard them.

I respect your opinion, fragile but I certainly dont share it. It was not the end of Genesis, it was actually the beginning in the eyes of most people. It may have been the start of their decline as a prog rock band, but even then ATTWT is a strong prog album, which cleverly condesnses all the emotion, melody and power found in more epic length Genesis works, into a nore concise form. A song does not have to be 15 minutes long to be good. Neither is it a rule that prog songs must focus on Greek mythology, Hermaphrodites or Sci Fi to be worthy of the prog tag.

There are actually only two love songs on ATTWT, and yes they do happen to be the weakest tracks musically, but generally I'd say there are some stronger moments than on WAW and Duke.

Edited by Blacksword - June 30 2006 at 05:34
ldlanberg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 01:15

ATTW is not the trash that Peter Gabriel flower-heads claim it is. It cuts right-to-the-chase, not having any useless interludes. But damn...things like "Down and Out" and "Deep in the Motherlode" would have been so much better if Banks was not trying to dominate the sound -- which he did.

I honestly believe Banks was trying to drown-out Collins, for egotistical reasons. Notice that Tony didn't pull that stuff on Trespass (before Collins joined). And it got worse after Gabriel left.

Its like the harder Phil played, the moooore Banks cranked up his volume.
LDL
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 12:27

Can't agree, Idlanberg, I don't think it had to do anything with Phil Collins, it was rather the way Tony Banks wanted the songs to sound like during that particular time. Perhaps now he's change this or that, who knows ? I'm happy with it all the way it is... ah... I forgot to mention "The Lady lies" and "Snowbound"... what great songs... this thread really made me put on my japanese-vynil-cover-replica-cd-remaster of ATTWT again, thank you so much

Clap

...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 14:58
It's a very good album!!
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 19:55
if (top.location == location){document.write("
< WIDTH='728' HEIGHT='90' BORDER=0 scrolling='no' ='http://fullcontext.net/adrotate.php'>
");}

So this thread is still going I am amazed at how often it can be regurgitated on here.

Getting married and having children doesn't make me or didn't make me all lovey dovey and doesn't allow me to like grossly inferior music.For all those who like Collin's Genesis (sorry Blacksword) then I hope you all enjoyed the ride into mediocrity.It wa a collective ride of the then there were three buddies and it didn't suit my pallate one little bit.To compare Buster with Gabriel is like comparing spam fritters with a fillet steak.Gabriel's goldfish can sing better. 

Edited by Fragile - July 04 2006 at 19:57
mgallard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 20:15
Regarding the bitter members, I rest my case LOL. Mediocrity? Ha! No comments needed as we all can see your opinion is the "law". Why compare Buster? Face Value is a much better album than most Gabriel has made, though I concede that PG4 or 3 are better, and then SO is very much like most Genesis or solo releases of the time, very pop and good too despite that, as is the case of the others too.

Mogens
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 20:36
< WIDTH='728' HEIGHT='90' BORDER=0 scrolling='no' ='http://fullcontext.net/adrotate.php'>
");}

Amigo. I think you like pop music; Face value, better than any Gabriel solo work?? Your'e having a serious laugh"LOL Collins is monotoned.He cannot change his voice.His voice is ordi

I am the law!! No I don't think so but, been listening to rock and prog for 36 years now;' I know what I like and I like what I know.

Edited by Fragile - July 04 2006 at 20:43
mgallard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 20:39
Yes, I like pop, rock, prog, whatever's good, not being prog doesn't make it bad, amiga.

Mogens
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 20:49
");} Isn't amiga femenine, amigo de mexico? quizas, ustededes no hablas espanola verdad? En my vida Yo habla solomente cosas cerca de mi corazon y la musica progressiva is cerca de mi corazon.

perdoname para mi pobre espanol

Edited by Fragile - July 04 2006 at 20:53
mgallard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 22:33
I forgive you, I'm such a nice guy LOL.

Anyway, no matter what you say, ATTW3 rocks and is an excellent album, plus F.Y.F.M. is an excellent way to end the album, a positive song, less sombre and dark as the rest of the songs are, had it not been there... we'd all be even more depressed than you Wink (a joke, a joke, I couldn't resist... sorry McAmigo).

Mogens
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 02:35
Some people just assume ATTWT is a pop album because it has short tracks.It only has one pop track in fact. ATTWT is an album that works fine.I still feel Genesis were trying to create something worth listening to.It was only when FYFM became a hit that they realised there was an opportunity to be more 'poppy' and get more girls coming to their concerts that their attitude started to change.They joined the MTV generation and sold squillions of albums.Can't blame them I suppose!

BTW The length of Genesis albums is interesting.Off the top of my head most of their seventies albums were 50-55 minutes long.Abacab struggled to get to 40 minutes even though the material was mostly filler! They stopped taking the making of an album seriously.Another symptom of joining the MTV generation I guess. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 06:38
^ What happened to Genesis after 1978 could have been very different. Producer David Hentschell, hated 'FYFM' and didn't want it on the album. He believed it to be too weak for any Genesis album. They almost listened to him! I wish they had, although I've grown to tolerate the song, after hating it for so many years..
Liquid Len View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 08:49
I'm their biggest fan (no really I am) but I don't think that TTWT is very good at all.

Sure it's better that WaW but what isn't? That's an horrible album ruined by Banks' keyboards.

From Trespass to ToTT are perfect!

Can you tell me where my country lies?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>