Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarmen Video on YouTube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carmen Video on YouTube
    Posted: July 02 2006 at 21:53
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 06:49
Brilliant!    Thumbs Up

Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 13:46
i bought this album, it sucks, not recommended

Aaron
soundsweird View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 20:09

I guess you had to be there at the time to appreciate Carmen......   I have import LP's (on Regal Zonophone) and CD's (on Line Records) of their first 2 albums.  The CD release of the first album, "Fandangos in Space", inexplicably cuts off the last minute of the first song, so having the import LP is essential (the US release had a surface noise problem as it was released during the oil embargo days).   The second album, "Dancing on a Cold Wind", is at least as good as the first (both albums have their share of poppy filler).  The third, "The Gypsies", isn't nearly as good (came out on a different label with inferior sound).  I remember that Midnight Special episode, hosted by David Bowie.   It caused an uproar due to the fact that Bowie brought in a transvestite to act as "master of ceremonies", but didn't tell the Midnight Special people in advance....

Ying Yang

oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 07:43
They were a fantastic band.    Very tight and full of energy.   Unique song-writing. 
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 04:25
Sucks eh? Funny how perceptions differ - I think it is the best album of ALL time - bar none! 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 20:26

Obviously lip-synching, which is strange, since I could have sworn they were playing live when I saw the original broadcast.  Of course, that was on a tiny black and white set.  Some of the vocals may have been "live", but that's about it....   Nice to see the aforementioned transvestite doing the introduction.

Ying Yang
Gomah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 22:25
Originally posted by soundsweird soundsweird wrote:

Obviously lip-synching, which is strange, since I could have sworn they were playing live when I saw the original broadcast.  Of course, that was on a tiny black and white set.  Some of the vocals may have been "live", but that's about it....   Nice to see the aforementioned transvestite doing the introduction.

Why do you think it's lip-synching?

Edited by Gomah - July 06 2006 at 22:25
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 01:03
         It's lip-synching, all right....

On "Bulerias", the first song, you can hear the synthesizer, although Angela Allen is standing out front, and you can see the synth sitting in the background unattended.  Also in the first song,  you can hear castanets playing, but nobody's playing them!  There are several edits to the song during the performance (to make the song shorter for TV), but it's still apparent to me that it's the album version you're hearing, with possibly some lead vocals done live (certainly not the backing vocals, which are much too polished and overdubbed to be live).

Ying Yang
Gomah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 01:38

On "Bulerias", the first song, you can hear the synthesizer, although Angela Allen is standing out front, and you can see the synth sitting in the background unattended.  Also in the first song,  you can hear castanets playing, but nobody's playing them!  There are several edits to the song during the performance (to make the song shorter for TV), but it's still apparent to me that it's the album version you're hearing, with possibly some lead vocals done live (certainly not the backing vocals, which are much too polished and overdubbed to be live).

Thanks, I was just curious to know. Now that I watched it again it's obvious you're right.

Edited by Gomah - July 07 2006 at 01:39
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 04:33
It's still great to see them in person - which, for me,  is amazing.   It's similar to the feeling I had when I first watched Gentle Giant perform on the DVD "Giant on the Box", which I found unbelievable and surreal.     One can see how the brother and sister duo of Ricardo and Angelo, obviously of Spanish heritage, form the heartbeat of the group.  
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 10:25

Agreed! Wasn't (most) TV coverage of music really horrible .... I am still cringeing. Nice to see them though
 Post Reply Post Reply