Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMuse and Thom Yorke reviews by Dr. Thorpe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muse and Thom Yorke reviews by Dr. Thorpe
    Posted: July 02 2006 at 23:01
Dr. Thorpe, author of "Your Band Sucks" on somethingawful.com did a send-up of the new albums from Muse and Thom Yorke.  As long as you keep in mind that he's not totally serious (it's impossible to hate as many bands as this guy claims to...), it's really funny.  the Muse one made me cry a little with laughter.

I love this guy's column, if you're not familiar you should read some of the archived ones.  they're brilliant, but you really have to keep in mind that he's just having fun.  I even have to laugh at his columns where he makes fun of Tool and post-rock.

http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3888
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 00:39
Wasn't this the guy that reviewed The Mars Volta's Frances the mute?

This man is so annoying that is funny. You can't get more negative than that. I asure you. LOL

billbuckner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 13:39
His hate-mail sections are the best. Be sure to read the System Of A Down one. LOL
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 19:36
That's brilliant.

I think he genuinely hates almsot all of the stuff he write about; where he seemed unsincere was when he did the "your genre sucks" part, simply because it wasn't very funny. It's not possible to hate that many genres, although I think it's possible to hate all the bands he writes about, since most of them do indeed suck. Especially Tool. Wink

Are Egyptian Head a real band? Since I couldn't find them on Allmusic.com and judging from his general tone, I would guess not.

Edited by Ghandi 2 - July 03 2006 at 19:39
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 19:50
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Are Egyptian Head a real band? Since I couldn't find them on Allmusic.com and judging from his general tone, I would guess not.

Probably not.  They're likely something he just made up on the spot.  See his article on how to fake being a music nerd.

LOL
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Kleynan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 13:46
Check this :

When does a band "sell out?" It is even a viable term?

A band has “sold out” when their fans no longer get feel like part of an elite clique. This generally happens when a band attracts interest from a major label, who provides them with a higher recording budget, which results in just enough polish to make the band acceptable to a slightly wider audience; unfortunately, the better production generally reveals the band’s basic lack of musical talent, which hipsters could previously not see because it was hidden behind a blurry cloud of “lo-fi.”. What hipsters once assumed were “fractured pop songs” are revealed to simply be “bad pop songs,” and the hipsters aren’t smart enough to figure out why their favorite band suddenly seems to suck way more than before, so they blame it on “commercial production” and this mysterious and ephemeral force of “selling out.”

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 02:35
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Dr. Thorpe, author of "Your Band Sucks" on somethingawful.com did a send-up of the new albums from Muse and Thom Yorke.  As long as you keep in mind that he's not totally serious (it's impossible to hate as many bands as this guy claims to...), it's really funny.  the Muse one made me cry a little with laughter.

I love this guy's column, if you're not familiar you should read some of the archived ones.  they're brilliant, but you really have to keep in mind that he's just having fun.  I even have to laugh at his columns where he makes fun of Tool and post-rock.

http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3888

Funniest thing I've read for agesLOL .I love Muse but he does have a point:

The album’s second single, “Knights of Cydonia,” sounds like the theme song to a wild-west Highlander sequel set in Freddie Mercury’s butt. To call the album “bombastic” would be a gross understatement. It’s so grandiose that it makes chandeliers and Faberge eggs obsolete. It’s so flamboyant that it makes Richard Simmons look like Humphrey Bogart. It’s so ostentatious that it would make Liberace’s finest jacket blush.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 02:43
Personally I don't find the man that funny. Not because I''m outraged but simply because I find his style of humor to be done much better by other people. His jokes are juvenille, and most of the time he relies on profanity to make laughs. Though I did get a good laugh out of the SOAD hatemail.

EDIT: I posted that before reading this particular article which is actually pretty entertaining.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - July 06 2006 at 02:50
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 15:56
Elaborate masturbation LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL, genious

MUSE RULES!!!AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 08:25
^ like i said, keep in mind that he's not totally serious.  No one can listen to as much music as he does and harbor so much hatred for it.  Wink

but I also forgot to mention that some of my favorite articles on there are his "how to be a hipster" lessons. 
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
billbuckner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 12:47

Furthermore, it is beyond dispute that prog-rock is the nerdiest music in the world. Prog-rock is all about geeks writing computer programs to settle the Neil Peart vs. Mike Portnoy debate. Prog-rock bands are so desperate to be high art that they’re content to sidestep art altogether, resulting in fat guys in pillbox hats playing ten-minute solos on fourteen-string basses. Prog-rock is an elaborate, terrified denial of the fundamental rock and roll fact that no matter how virtuosic and sophisticated a band gets, some junior-high dropout could step up with a guitar with four broken strings and play a song with enough soul to blow them out of the water forever.

Call me paranoid, but I don’t think anyone could be stupid enough to combine emo, metal and prog-rock accidentally. It’s too plainly apparent that the result of the union would be the most ungodly abomination ever wrought on mankind. Coheed & Cambria are up to something. Maybe they’re trying to destroy music, maybe they’re some kind of elaborate performance art piece to demonstrate how stupid American rock fans are, or maybe they just enjoy making sane people cringe.

LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 14:08
^  Yeah, he often refers to prog rock and metal as the two most useless and socially awkward music genres ever created, and combining them yields ungodly results.

Wink
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 18:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

"The album’s second single, “Knights of Cydonia,” sounds like the theme song to a wild-west Highlander sequel set in Freddie Mercury’s butt. To call the album “bombastic” would be a gross understatement. It’s so grandiose that it makes chandeliers and Faberge eggs obsolete. It’s so flamboyant that it makes Richard Simmons look like Humphrey Bogart. It’s so ostentatious that it would make Liberace’s finest jacket blush."

That looks like praise to me - if I'd have thought of describing it that way, I would.

Perfect description of what Muse are about - more ostentatious than Liberace's jacket, and more bombastic than... something very bombastic... er... think I'll stick to my own style - but I think that guy likes it really (how could you not!!!)

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 20:47
Two Thorpe articles in one week?  He's been unusually productive.

I love something awful, and many of the goons are prog fans.
Wh'ghal ng'fth mglw'y Ry'leh, Cthulhu fhtagn...

Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 20:49
oh wait. nvm
it's from late June

Wh'ghal ng'fth mglw'y Ry'leh, Cthulhu fhtagn...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 16:27
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

"The album’s second single, “Knights of Cydonia,” sounds like the theme song to a wild-west Highlander sequel set in Freddie Mercury’s butt. To call the album “bombastic” would be a gross understatement. It’s so grandiose that it makes chandeliers and Faberge eggs obsolete. It’s so flamboyant that it makes Richard Simmons look like Humphrey Bogart. It’s so ostentatious that it would make Liberace’s finest jacket blush."

That looks like praise to me - if I'd have thought of describing it that way, I would.

Perfect description of what Muse are about - more ostentatious than Liberace's jacket, and more bombastic than... something very bombastic... er... think I'll stick to my own style - but I think that guy likes it really (how could you not!!!)

Indeed,which is why I found it funny Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply