Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedprog rap?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 18:12
Now for my personal views on the subject.

It has been said already, any kind of music can be progressive, so of course rap can be aswell. However, I think there will be a long while before prog rap artists get included in the archives. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure we'll ever have a prog rap section here. Don't get me wrong though, I have nothing against rap (certainly not if it's progressive!), and I have nothing against a possible inclusion of prog rap artists.

Finally, just a quick thought: It's important to let people like any kind of music. If one doesn't like a particular genre, one must still let other people like it.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 18:58
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Be an open-minded hater all you want to, Ivan, and maybe just stay away from the thread? It starts with an innocent and valid question.

Why should I stay away? People with all freedom say here they hatr Genesis, Yes,or in even more cases ELP, people say they hate Prog Metal, why should we stay quiet about Rap?

In firdst place this thread should be in non Prog music, because like it or not, Rap is not Prog in this forum and I believe in no Prog Forum.

Iván

I'm not to impressed by people that says they hate any kind of genre, and I can't see a good reason for you to contribute to this thread by saying: I hate hip-hop. Then you ask us why you can't hate hip-hop, when people that hate prog metal are 'allowed'? Has anyone here in this thread told you they hate Genesis, Yes or ELP? Aren't you a grown man way past your teens?

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 19:03
Rocktopus is right. You are acting a little immature Ivan. No offense, just saying as it is. 
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 19:04
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Again; DJ Shadow's Endtroducing... came out in 1996. Much of what's on Ninja Tune and Mo' Wax is definitely forward-looking and as far from the mainstream of Rap as good Prog is from mainstream Rock.
Ok i checked it out And i have to admit that it's pretty good. As for progressiveness, it seems to me that it might indeed qualify as such. I don't really see how it's only rap though, i'm not too good in all these genres but it sounds more like complex mellow dance, house and trip hop to me than rap. Indeed NLstore (an online music shop in Holland) lists this album as trip hop. The album is mostly instrumental and only the spoken vocals and sometimes the the drum beat do sound like rap to me. As for the spoken vocals , seeing you arguing repeatedly that TFK and SB are AOR because of the vocals i hope you are not going to tell me that vocals here are progressive because they are spoken. Good album though, i think you made something of a point here.
wodaemang View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 23:33
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Be an open-minded hater all you want to, Ivan, and maybe just stay away
from the thread? It starts with an innocent and valid question.

My answer is yes, of course. All genres can be progressive. No
intention of trying to get any Hip Hop included in the archives or
anything.

Again I'd like to reccomend Deep Puddle Dynamics: The Tate of
Rain...Why Kneel . Its really the whole Anticon (nine of them)
collective on one record. Not the most prog or experimental I've ever
heard, just the best. It's intelligent, complex and ends with a
multipart (five parts) suite.

deep puddle is amazing, i purchased that album just over a year ago, if u want to check out some other prog rap albums, check out anything by anticon, they are all relatively good, but maybe try el-p's "fantastic damage", or the self titled album by 13&god both take soem getting used to, but when u get used to it, its pretty good....and to the person with the deltron reccomendation, good call
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 00:21
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Rocktopus is right. You are acting a little immature Ivan. No offense, just saying as it is. 

But it's true, I hate it, all of what i heard, I can't stand it, isn't it valid to express your opinion?

I don't believe (For what I heard) that this should be a topic in a Prog Forum, that's my 100% honest opinion and I'm not used to lie.

Lately  there's almost always  a new thread about Prog Rap and /or Hip Hop, I don't simply agree with that, there was a poll, most people don't believe in it, why  must we be forced to have this threads again and again?

If this thread would have started where it belongs I won't probably even cared for it, It has been moved to non Prog and that's ok, that's all.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 06 2006 at 00:27

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 01:53
While some Rap might be called "progressive", I agree that it's neither "Prog" nor "Rock", and that's why it doesn't belong here. Metal and Jazz-Fusion are closely related to Rock, but any other sub genre like Country, Pop, Modern Electronic etc.. should be discussed elsewhere ... maybe on my website!Wink
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 02:20
Prog aint' Rock either, no more than it's Country, Jazz or Pop, anyway.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 02:22
^ Sorry, I didn't know that.Wink
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 03:51
^Just listen and compare, Mike. It's not rocket science.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 03:58
The term "Prog Rock" is valid ... just listen to Yes, Genesis or any other classic Prog band. Classic Prog is based on Rock, and Rock in general is indeed the common element of all the bands in the archives (although some from Progressive Electronic and Post-Rock/Avant are stretching it quite a bit).

BTW: If you really insist that Classic Prog doesn't have anything to do with Rock, I guess it would be best if you created a separate thread.Smile
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 04:35
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

But it's true, I hate it, all of what i heard, I can't stand it, isn't it valid to express your opinion?

I don't believe (For what I heard) that this should be a topic in a Prog Forum, that's my 100% honest opinion and I'm not used to lie.

Lately  there's almost always  a new thread about Prog Rap and /or Hip Hop, I don't simply agree with that, there was a poll, most people don't believe in it, why  must we be forced to have this threads again and again?

If this thread would have started where it belongs I won't probably even cared for it, It has been moved to non Prog and that's ok, that's all.

Iván

I guess Its a valid, but also a useless and pointless opinion to state. Threads get started in wrong areas every day here, then they eventually get moved. How can you even care about that? I don't understand everything you write here about some some poll or thread that was almost made(?), but now its all OK? You are very active in many threads that has a even less natural place here. This is about Hip-Hop which is a music genre. And do we believe it can be progressive? The rest of us says yes it can, and reccomend each other titles and artists we think are good examples. You say you hate it.

Wodaemang: I will defeantly check out more Anticon related. Already know cLOUDDEAD. I'm curious about most of the stuff mentioned here that I haven't heard yet. I'm not gonna pretend its easy to find lots of great hip-hop. El-p, funny name.

I think I'll start with Dalek.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 04:47
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

The term "Prog Rock" is valid ... just listen to Yes, Genesis or any other classic Prog band. Classic Prog is based on Rock, and Rock in general is indeed the common element of all the bands in the archives (although some from Progressive Electronic and Post-Rock/Avant are stretching it quite a bit).

BTW: If you really insist that Classic Prog doesn't have anything to do with Rock, I guess it would be best if you created a separate thread.Smile
I probably should, but seriously; sit down and listen to And You And I, Firth of Fifth, So Sincere, Starless and Pilgrims with open ears, and then point me to one single aspect of Rock n Roll music in any of that. It's not there in chordage, harmony, melody, structure or even timbre. It bears as much relation to The Rolling Stones as it does to Bob Marley, Tito Puente, Hank Williams or The BeeGees.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 05:05
^ I didn't say Rock n Roll, I said "Rock". That's a very broad genre, it surely includes Prog Rock. A song doesn't need to resemble "Rock Around the Clock" in order to be part of the Rock genre. And the songs you mentioned above are progressive ... that means that they expanded the boundaries of the genre, and are artistically advanced in comparison to "Simple Rock" music. But when you're determining the genre of a band you cannot just pick the songs that prove your point and discard those that conflict. Even Yes and Genesis wrote simple songs, and even in their prog epics there are passages which simply "rock". The band configuration and use of instruments also suggests that it's Rock - drums, bass, guitar, keyboards, vocals.

I wonder why I even bother to try to explain it ... it is so obvious.LOL

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - July 06 2006 at 05:07
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 05:25
Reggae has drums, bass, guitar, keyboards and vocals, so...what's your point with that?

And yes, it fits with Rock in the broad sense, but I now see all these aspects of Rock in the more narrow and directly Blues-based sense being accepted as something neither worth commenting on in a band's sound, nor something that would make the band be considered less of a Prog band, "since after all it's called Prog Rock".

You can't have it both ways. Either it's Rock in the broad sense, in which case Rock n Roll and AOR aren't natural matches with Prog, but part of a hybrid. Or it's Rock in the narrwo sense, in which case I have to ask where you hear much if that in the classic bands of Prog during their apex years.

The overt aspects of Rock-in-the-narrow-sense (which - please - is not analogous with "simple" - it's a specific melodic/harmonic/structural style) in the bands above is minor, no matter which songs you pick. Even something as rockin' as I've Seen All Good People modulates through several keys in a way most Rock n Roll doesn't, yet it is still an absolute anomaly in the Yes songbook pre-1980.

Or a track like Great Deceiver, which builds on a Blues base, still has many aspects to offset that, and again, is a bit of a standout in the KC ouevre.
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 05:39
Actually, there even is rap with some progressive tendencies in the more or less mainstream - anyone ever heard of Wyclef Jean from the Fugees? He made something of a concept album called Carnival. It uses classical music, he plays his own instruments and there are interludes with sound effects etc.

Besides, what is rock's relation to folk? We got prog folk here. I understand the rock-metal relation, but folk? And electronic?

Edited by Rosescar - July 06 2006 at 05:46
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 05:48
^Except Wyclef makes extremely pandering and chart-oriented music. Fugees were one of the bands that killed innovation in mainstream Hip-hop by making it all about crappy covers andusing old hit samples without adding anything to it but a bad Rap. Plus Wyclef can't Rap for sh*t - he's got as much flow as my Grandma, dead and buried.

That The Fugees (and Lauryn Hill) were briefly the darlings of Rock journalists who'd never heard much actual Rap and could use it as an easy way to seem open-minded doesn't help.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 06:06
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Reggae has drums, bass, guitar, keyboards and vocals, so...what's your point with that?

And yes, it fits with Rock in the broad sense, but I now see all these aspects of Rock in the more narrow and directly Blues-based sense being accepted as something neither worth commenting on in a band's sound, nor something that would make the band be considered less of a Prog band, "since after all it's called Prog Rock".

You can't have it both ways. Either it's Rock in the broad sense, in which case Rock n Roll and AOR aren't natural matches with Prog, but part of a hybrid. Or it's Rock in the narrwo sense, in which case I have to ask where you hear much if that in the classic bands of Prog during their apex years.

Why "hybrid" ... Prog Rock is not a combination of two genres, as "Prog" isn't a genre. It is a way of thinking/composing, an attitude, a concept. "Prog Rock" is a specialized form of Rock music which takes away much of the mainstream qualities and replaces them by elements of Art Music ... but it never completely loses the Rock heritage (you can argue about Zeuhl, but then again it is related to Krautrock thematically and through the musicians). Some bands are more progressive, others are closer to mainstream, some are both (depending on which song you pick).

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 06:14
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Prog Rock is not a combination of two genres, as "Prog" isn't a genre.
Are you actually saying that "progressive Rock" isn't a genre? That's a minefield you'll have to dance through on your own, thank you.

But you're right, it's not a hybrid. But I have to wonder how far you need to go "not to lose the Rock". Is there anything on seminal Progressive Rock albums like Foxtrot, Tales, Red or H to He that really sounds in any way like Rock music as defined by Rolling Stones? Is there even a three-second snippet that could be mistaken for a band like that? I'd say the answer is no.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 06:17
Alternativ rap is usually pretty progressive sometimes, at least experimental.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>