FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeus Ex Machina

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deus Ex Machina
    Posted: July 07 2006 at 21:30
Recently I have been acquainting myself with this wonderful italian Jazz Rock Fusion band. There seems to be very little talk about this fantastic new band, I did a search to find little discussion. They are a great example that Italian Progressve music didn't die in the '70s. They also boast one of the most spectacular vocalist I have heard.

I'm only quite new to the band and have recently picked up

- Gladium Caeli
- De Republica
- Non Est Ars Quae ad Effectum Casus Venit
- Cinque

So does anybody else love this band? Or can give any suggestion to which albums I should try out next? Discuss!   
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 22:20
Yes, i love them, very innovative with it`s own style, agreed in almost everything with you, an extraordinary vocalist, great music, the drummer is superb, one of my favorite bands that i discovered here.

my suggestion would be Equilibrismo da Insofferenza!!!

Sure Jody will support this!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Someo Therguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 22:26
Yeah, I think DEM is a fantastic band. I have Cinque and Equalibrismo da Insufferenza, which has a horn section so it sounds like prog/fusion big band. In addition to the amazing singer, I think they also boast one of the best drummers in the scene.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 00:03
I had "Equalibrismo da Insufferenza" and got rid of it.
I understand, they are extra class musicians, but their music isn't my cup of tea.

Edited by NotAProghead - July 08 2006 at 00:05
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 00:17
Awesome band! Unfortunately i can't find any of their albums (besides Cinque). I'm really looking for De Republica...does anyone know where i can buy it?

(Sorry to hijack the thread like this Embarrassed)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 01:12
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

I will be sure to check out this album as soon as, thanks for the recommendation.

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 01:20
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Awesome band! Unfortunately i can't find any of their albums (besides Cinque). I'm really looking for De Republica...does anyone know where i can buy it?

(Sorry to hijack the thread like this)

No worries, I know their current label is cuneiform records but if from memory there only was Cinque available. If this is any help I used ebay... I don't know if they have anything on there at the moment, but keep your eye out and it will pop up eventually. I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

Edited by Black Velvet - July 08 2006 at 01:21
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 01:56
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

(Sorry to hijack the thread like this)

No worries, I know their current label is cuneiform records but if from memory there only was Cinque available. If this is any help I used ebay... I don't know if they have anything on there at the moment, but keep your eye out and it will pop up eventually. I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

I have been looking there for a few months now...but thanks anyway Smile

I've also checked the online vendors I use (Symphonic music [Greg Walker] and doug larson), with no avail. Hopefully Ebay will come through (i've gotten good stuff off there before).
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 03:19
The Laser's Edge have Equilibrismo Da Insofferenza and Cinque, but that's all.
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 13:46
These guys are indeed great, got all if not most of their stuff...kind of like the Italian Mahavishnu Orchestra...don't they also have a new album coming out soon?
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 15:19
As the site's leading DeM fanatic (I dare anyone to challenge that!!  LOL), I love these guys, and have also wondered why there is so little discussion about them.  In fact, on one of the prog polls about Italian prog, I noted that DeM was not even included!!

I have everything they ever recorded, and then some.  [N.B.  For those looking for DeM albums, contact Raoul Caprio at Kaliphonia Records in Italy.  He used to be the home label for DeM, and still carries almost everything by them.  Mention me and he'll treat you even better!]

I also agree that Equilibrismo is possibly their best studio album, with De Republica a close second.  I also highly recommend their live album, Diacronia Metronomiche.  It is among the most astounding live prog albums ever.  Of the others, Cinque is my fave, though I also love their early work, as it shows their roots in heavier rock and jazz-rock.  While early influences include such unlikely groups as The Who and Led Zep, they eventually settled into full prog mode with influences from Mahavishnu Orchestra, Gentle Giant, ELP and others.

I consider DeM the best group of prog musicians playing today.  In fact, Claudio Trotta may be the single most under-appreciated drummer in prog, and almost unarguably one of the best, if not the best currently playing (and that includes Portnoy...)

Anyway, I am always happy to talk about my favorite prog band.

BV - Just get everything you can get your hands on.  You won't even be disappointed by DeM.

Peace.
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 15:49
Really great band... excellent vocalist, awsome musicians and wonderful songs... I have De Republica and Cinque but I heard most of the other albums (thankx to my friends) but if you reaaly want to feel the DEM experience listen PROGFEST 95... when they play live are totally amazing...

Clap
... E N E L B U N K E R...
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 15:59
Read the reviews -- buy the T-shirt. Big smile

(I said it there -- Maani & others too.)Smile
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 17:49
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

As the site's leading DeM fanatic (I dare anyone to challenge that!!  LOL), I love these guys, and have also wondered why there is so little discussion about them.  In fact, on one of the prog polls about Italian prog, I noted that DeM was not even included!!

I have everything they ever recorded, and then some.  [N.B.  For those looking for DeM albums, contact Raoul Caprio at Kaliphonia Records in Italy.  He used to be the home label for DeM, and still carries almost everything by them.  Mention me and he'll treat you even better!]

I also agree that Equilibrismo is possibly their best studio album, with De Republica a close second.  I also highly recommend their live album, Diacronia Metronomiche.  It is among the most astounding live prog albums ever.  Of the others, Cinque is my fave, though I also love their early work, as it shows their roots in heavier rock and jazz-rock.  While early influences include such unlikely groups as The Who and Led Zep, they eventually settled into full prog mode with influences from Mahavishnu Orchestra, Gentle Giant, ELP and others.

I consider DeM the best group of prog musicians playing today.  In fact, Claudio Trotta may be the single most under-appreciated drummer in prog, and almost unarguably one of the best, if not the best currently playing (and that includes Portnoy...)

Anyway, I am always happy to talk about my favorite prog band.

BV - Just get everything you can get your hands on.  You won't even be disappointed by DeM.

Peace.

Ah it is always interesting to here a fanatic get to talk about one of their favourite bands. Yes I started the thread in confusion that this band never gets talked about even after producing fantastic album upon album. I think I will have to listen to the drumming a little more cearfully now.

I notice there earlier albums were released on Kaliphonia records yesterday when I was searching for intformation on the band, but couldn't see any of their titles immedately in their catalogue. So thank for that valuable information.

Well from this it looks like I am missing some of the essential albums which I am going to have to track down sometime soon when money permits. I have the other live album which I think I quite good at the moment but if this other one if better it seems like a must get. Where abouts was "Diacronia Metronomiche" recorded? Is this their '95 show at Nearfest?

eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 18:03
Diacronia Metronomiche is one of two albums by DeM I have (the other one is Gladium Caeli). Info in booklet is written in Italian - language which I do not speak at all, but I understood that it was recorded during two concerts at Bologna in 1994 and 1995 and masteres at Planet Sound studio, Firenze in 1996. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

I am very impressed by above two albums to say the least, and the rest of their discography is on my wish-list. Great band - highly recommended!!!

I am still not convinced that DeM is jazz-rock/fusion band, although some jazzy elements are obvious. I also find that vocals (although being absolutely wonderful) can be at times a bit over-dominating to my taste.

carefulwiththataxe
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Yes, i love them, very innovative with it`s own style, agreed in almost everything with you, an extraordinary vocalist, great music, the drummer is superb, one of my favorite bands that i discovered here.

Guillermo is correct.Discovering this band when I first came here was my launching pad to Italian prog(besides PFM).

I highly recommend Equilibrismo da Insofferenza,which is my favorite album of theirs.

Edited by TheProgtologist - July 08 2006 at 18:33

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 18:25
Yes I agree the vocals can be over powering, and I think this is one of the reasons from only listening to the albums once or twice, that the drummer gets over shadowed and misses a lot of credit for the fantastic musican he is. Now on repeat listens I have been focusing on the instruments as thoroughly as I can, and there is definately some amazing stuff happening behind the kit, not to mention the other instruments.

Thanks for the information about the live recordings. It is good to see more people know about this band than once thought
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 18:26

Progtologist:

Interesting - PA was your launching pad to DeM, and DeM was my launching pad to PA: I only discovered this site as a result of my mania for DeM.

Eugene:

Actually, Alberto Piras' wacko quasi-operatic delivery of Latin lyrics is one of my favorite aspects of the band!  I don't know a word of Latin (okay, maybe carpe diem...LOL), but I don't feel I need to when I hear DeM.

Peace.

eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 18:33
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Actually, Alberto Piras' wacko quasi-operatic delivery of Latin lyrics is one of my favorite aspects of the band!  I don't know a word of Latin (okay, maybe carpe diem...LOL), but I don't feel I need to when I hear DeM.

Peace.

LOL

Yeah, I know what you mean - the guy delivers kind of emotional storm all over the place by his voice, and, yes, you do not need to speak/understand the language to get it right through to your heart, but still, as I said, he is too dominating and really overshadowing the rest of the band. Do not take me wrong - I like the band - these are just my observations.

carefulwiththataxe
fungusucantkill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 18:36
YES!!
i just got some of there stuff it's excelent a must have
 Post Reply Post Reply