Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmplifiers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 07:52

I don't know what are you going to play (only prog, or hard rock, or something else?) but I can say that Fender Deluxe or (better) Deville are really good, but I'm a Marshall man!

I play bass and I use a Marshall Superbass JCM800 combined with a 100W case and the sound is great. I can say the same thing for guitar, using JCM900 Lead.

I'm don't like too much digital effects as used by "Certif1ed" but I'm a raw freak rocker (I use big muff, echoes, phaser and so on)!

Space Stoned Rock
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 11:53
tube amp rules!
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 17:06
If I had the cash I'd get a Cornford Harlequin. Man these guys sound fantastic.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun00/articles/cornford.ht m

Edited by sigod
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
The Silent Man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 10:51
Has anyone got a Flextone III, from Line 6.

I got the big f***er, stereo speakers, 150W XL. I like it lots but does anyone find the Marshall models a bit flat? They just don't have any bite or... oomph, or something is missing. It's the same with a lot of the models. The Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier is the one I like though. It sounds nice and bright. It'll have to do until I can afford a real Mesa Boogie!!

Anyone got any tips for some interesting Flextone settings?
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 12:04
Originally posted by The Silent Man The Silent Man wrote:

Has anyone got a Flextone III, from Line 6.

I got the big f***er, stereo speakers, 150W XL. I like it lots but does anyone find the Marshall models a bit flat? They just don't have any bite or... oomph, or something is missing. It's the same with a lot of the models. The Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier is the one I like though. It sounds nice and bright. It'll have to do until I can afford a real Mesa Boogie!!

Anyone got any tips for some interesting Flextone settings?

Welcome Silent Man. The guitarist in my band has a Flextone III, I'll ask him over the weekend and see if he agrees.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 20:20
I do know I have to turn the bass way down on my Line6 POD or eveything sounds way too 'boxy'. The Marshalls aren't quite right, and I think it's the upper mids...a little extra EQ up there might help you out. I've also found that running through a gain stage (like a preamp or EQ pedal or even just a distortion pedal) really beefs up the POD sounds, though you lose a little smoothness on the heavy tones. 
The Silent Man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 21:53
Hey, thanks for your tips. As you can see I'm new to this forum. I've been checking out progarchives for ages! I'm glad I started joining in this. You're right about the upper mids. I found a very old Boss Overdrive pedal and just plugged it in with the eq set up nicely and I can already spot a more lively tone. Perhaps I'll look at getting some sort of eq. I think that the amp just lacks colour. It drives nicely, it was just flat. What amps are you using? Can you do better for the same amount of money? I like to get a huge clean sound that can break windows but I need to have a very smooth distortion with sounding too metal with plenty of sustain. ( I use a US Strat with Kinman pickups)
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2005 at 06:12

For clean, it's hard to beat the Fenders...I personally love a good Twin. Fender distortion never really did it for me on its own, though.

For 'natural' amp distortion, the best thing I ever played was a Carvin Legacy. But I didn't spend too much time with it, so I don't know how it that well.

rexsvecia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 09:03
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I totally agree - Line 6 Pods are AMAZING - with a capital AMAZING.

It's like owning a set of great amps (and effects) - and you can stick it through any cheap practice amp and it'll still sound great. Plug it into a computer running almost any sequencing software and it sounds utterly professional.

I haven't checked out their Pod/Amp combis, but I'd bet they're pretty unbeatable for the pirce.

I would definitely go for the POD. As stated, with this thingie you can get really great sounds and not disturb anyone (and plug your CD into it and jam with your fav records).

AND, when/if you think you need an amp in the future you have great set of stomp boxes and other cool effects!

Never trust a person who claims to tell the truth.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 15:30

Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

I do know I have to turn the bass way down on my Line6 POD or eveything sounds way too 'boxy'. The Marshalls aren't quite right, and I think it's the upper mids...a little extra EQ up there might help you out. I've also found that running through a gain stage (like a preamp or EQ pedal or even just a distortion pedal) really beefs up the POD sounds, though you lose a little smoothness on the heavy tones. 

I've been noticing that too - mostly we just add some top in post, as we only do studio work, but recently I've been getting more adventurous in what I ask from my Pod, and have to kill the bass as there's just too much.

the musical box View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 08:48

My current setup was "orchestrated" by my dad (although i can play well, i dont understand the techniqualities of gear): a Fender SuperAmp from the late 60's (like this, but better condition):

He then somehow runs this through an overdrive pedal and an old Korg synth....I dont get it but it works well!

Edited by the musical box
something pretentious
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 10:16

I've got an old, old Vox AC30 and it just about does it all as far I'm concerned. Bright, glassy clean tones with just the right amount of edge through to super-creamy overdrives. To boost I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer.

I do have a Fender Stage 112SE solid state 160w monster I used to use for some live work and i must admit I like the clean tones and even the gain stage on it (though solid state) is quite nice, definitely different but quite usable - they were doing something they called 'tube tone' or something at the time (mid 90s)

For recording at home nowadays though, I use a Korg AX1000G - as a modelling processor it's a bit long in the tooth now but I can work it and get some nice tones, though the wah pedal is pretty rubbish.

clemdallaway View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 14:08

One of the best amps for a beginner is the fender bullet, its only 15 watts, but has a good sound for a little amp. If you are planning on playing in a band then you will better off with something a bit bigger, look at aroung 50 watts to start.

I use a Laney Linebacker 100watt with twin celestion speakers, has a great sound especially when I use my old Zoom 4040 with it!!!!!!!!!

Don't eat the yellow snow!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12