FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMAGELLAN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: MAGELLAN
    Posted: July 10 2006 at 21:55
        I was reading "PENUMBRA'S' post about long symphonic prog pieces, and it occured to me
that there's a great band out there that never gets any mention.
        I'm talking about 'MAGELLAN'!
        Their first two albums, 'HOUR OF RESTORATION'' and 'IMPENDING ASCENTION' are must-
listen to's if you like this kind of music! Also, check out the title track of their trird album
'TEST OF WILLS', it'll blow you away.
        Does anyone else agree with me?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 22:03
I listened to Magellan roughly 10 years ago. I never got past Test Of Wills and I had an opportunity to hear Hundred Year Flood (is that what it's called?) once. Like the Trent Gardner side projects, the Magellan albums do not age well. I'd say the best one is probably still the first one, or ToW.  
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 22:23
A co-worker brought in Magellan's Hundred Year Flood and I had to shut it off because it was becoming so freakin' goofy. So glad I listened to them before buying anything. Music made me naseous.

E
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 22:42
Magellan is excellent.

Their first album, "Hour of Restoration" is really good, IMO. Sadly, it's overlooked and hugely underrated! The Magna Carta suite is their best song in their discography!

"Impening Ascension" is even better. Their best album, following in the same style as "Hour of Restoration", only better.

"Test of Wills" is good too. I haven't heard so much of their later stuff, though.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
razifa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 01:03
Originally posted by GHOSTNOTE GHOSTNOTE wrote:

I was reading "PENUMBRA'S' post about long symphonic prog pieces, and it occured to me
that there's a great band out there that never gets any mention.
        I'm talking about 'MAGELLAN'!
        Their first two albums, 'HOUR OF RESTORATION'' and 'IMPENDING ASCENTION' are must-
listen to's if you like this kind of music! Also, check out the title track of their trird album
'TEST OF WILLS', it'll blow you away.
        Does anyone else agree with me?

I agree completely with ya!!!

Magellan is an excellent band, as weird as excellent. I have almost all thier discography (HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO FIND "HOUR OF RESTAORATION"CryCry) and I honestly enjoy their mix of symphonic neo prog metal.

Hail to Trend Gardener!!!
**razifa**
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 03:34
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

A co-worker brought in Magellan's Hundred Year Flood and I had to shut it off because it was becoming so freakin' goofy. So glad I listened to them before buying anything. Music made me naseous.

E
I`m a pretty big Magellan Fan and have been for many years now , Steve Walsh from Kansas  has done some work with Trent Gardner and so Has Kerry Livgren  , I would recommend their First CD  Hour of Restoration   Magellan CD`s are a little hit and miss I think maybe you heard one of their weaker CD`s .  Wink  

A progressive classic I`m sure you will like is one of Trent Gardners (Magellan) side project it is called
Original Cast Recordings  Leonardo The Absolute Man   (on the Magna Carta label)   I think its great  probably better than anything Magellan the band have done,  theres this thing people say "Trent seems to save all his best work for his side projects"  in the Leonardo case I think it is true !  Smile  

Edited by Masque - July 11 2006 at 03:51
CrazyDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 05:27
uhm.. Am I the only one who thinks that impossible figures an symphony for a misantrophe are good albums?   Thumbs Up   Cry    Smile
CrazyDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 05:30

Question
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 05:36
Originally posted by Crazy Diamond Crazy Diamond wrote:

uhm.. Am I the only one who thinks that impossible figures an symphony for a misanthrope are good albums?   Thumbs Up   Cry    Smile
  I like both of those CD`s  , I just feel early Magellan (first two CDs) was more  interesting, like Trent Gardner had something to prove, his social commentary and progressive vision was greater over all in the early days for Magellan so were the songs . 

Edited by Masque - July 11 2006 at 05:39
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 11:32
Very good band !! Clap Trent Gardner is a talented composer !!

The only album I've heard from Magellan is the last one, "Symphony For A Misanthrope", and it's a good example of Modern Symphonic/Hard Music !! 

But there's a big confusion about this band: on this site, I first saw them classified as Prog Metal, then as Symphonic Prog and finally as Art Rock. LOL (well, definitely not prog metal, because they've just a couple of heavy riffs, now more ...).

So, which is their genre ? Wacko

progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 12:26
I heard Hour of Restoration and Impeding Ascention... good but maybe not my kind of prog... too pretencious IMO... Anyway I really like "Estadio Nacional" cos' the song talks about a sad chapter of the history of my country during the Pinochet dictatorship when the national stadium of Santiago de Chile was used as a prison for hundreds of people... songs like this makes me feel that what happened during the dark 70's in Chile can be known by the rest of the world...

Peace & Love...
... E N E L B U N K E R...
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 02:33
Meanwhile, I'm goign nut trying to reach any MagellanMusic album; not MAGELLAN; MAGELLANMUSIC.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 21:12
Originally posted by Barla Barla wrote:

Very good band !! Clap Trent Gardner is a talented composer !!

The only album I've heard from Magellan is the last one, "Symphony For A Misanthrope", and it's a good example of Modern Symphonic/Hard Music !! 

But there's a big confusion about this band: on this site, I first saw them classified as Prog Metal, then as Symphonic Prog and finally as Art Rock. LOL (well, definitely not prog metal, because they've just a couple of heavy riffs, now more ...).

So, which is their genre ? Wacko

Maybe they could be under "Various Genres"? Tongue

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
TOD KREMER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 02:51

I like 'em.

Stand up to the blow that fate has struck upon you.   Make the most of all you still have coming to you...
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 07:15
There was some discussion about DRM here quite a while ago, and that Trent Gardner guy posted here after being getting a mail where a member suggested offering limited lo-fi downloads and removal of DRMs so he could use the music in his mp3 player. Something like that. Anyway, Trent Gardner's reply was seriously upsetting. He was a real arse towards the guy who had sent the mail, and in the process insulted the other members active in the topic. Therefore I refuse to hear or support Magellan in any way. 
pirkka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 07:23
Originally posted by Masque Masque wrote:

Originally posted by Crazy Diamond Crazy Diamond wrote:

uhm.. Am I the only one who thinks that impossible figures an symphony for a misanthrope are good albums?   Thumbs Up   Cry    Smile
  I like both of those CD`s  , I just feel early Magellan (first two CDs) was more  interesting, like Trent Gardner had something to prove, his social commentary and progressive vision was greater over all in the early days for Magellan so were the songs . 

These are the two I own and yeah, you can listen to them but there is nothing special in them. Not bad, not very good.  Always as I look at the CD's I think that I probably should listen to them again. The covers are so fine and all! But usually I then pick up something else instead.

Pirkka
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 14:26
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

There was some discussion about DRM here quite a while ago, and that Trent Gardner guy posted here after being getting a mail where a member suggested offering limited lo-fi downloads and removal of DRMs so he could use the music in his mp3 player. Something like that. Anyway, Trent Gardner's reply was seriously upsetting. He was a real arse towards the guy who had sent the mail, and in the process insulted the other members active in the topic. Therefore I refuse to hear or support Magellan in any way. 

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4874&KW=muse+wrapped

This is the thread in question.  Trent was a favorite of mine, but after that...  screw him.
AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 14:30
I enjoy Impossible Figures.  It's not a regular listen to me, but they are excellent at combining metal, rock, and classical pieces togethor to make an interesting album.

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 02:04
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

And I missed it? Damn. What was up Trent's arse, anyway? Oh, the MP3 issue. I guess.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 17:24
The only album I have heard from Magellan was Test of Wills and I found it to be a collection of obvious ripoffs from everything grand that was done in prog, only poorly made.  Sold the album and forgot about them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>