So he vanished from my sight,

And I plucked a hollow reed,
And I made a rural pen,
And I stained the water clear,
And I wrote my happy songs
Every child may joy to hear.

William Blake

Rest in Peace you beautiful boy

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 23:15

Maybe a bit too late, but ...

R. I. P., Syd Barrett Cry Also the same day the argentinian drummer Carlos Moro (ex - Serú Girán, La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros, etc ...) died (R. I. P., Carlos Moro).... I was in shock. Both two were talented musicians ...

Cry
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 23:40
Originally posted by Barla Barla wrote:

Maybe a bit too late, but ...

R. I. P., Syd Barrett Cry Also the same day the argentinian drummer Carlos Moro (ex - Serú Girán, La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros, etc ...) died (R. I. P., Carlos Moro).... I was in shock. Both two were talented musicians ...

Cry

Oscar Moro you mean, this guy shocked me more, not because Syd's death wasn't a tragedy, but because it would happen at any moment and all of us knew it.

Oscar on the other hand died of a sudden ulcera bleeding at the age of 58, his son said that he had a very agitated life (Well, being friend and having worked with Charly García you can expect anything).

Here in Perú, El Comercio the most respected newspaper has published whole page about Syd Barrett's death with a nice picture that can't be found in their web page.

For those who understand Spanish:

Adiós diamante loco (Goodbye Crazy Diamond)
A los 60 años murió syd barrett, cerebral miembro fundador de Pink Floyd sufría de diabetes pero se desconoce si la enfermedad tuvo que ver con el desenlace fatal, ocurrido, según reportes, hace algunos días

Los cables de ayer rebotaron la noticia como una espada: ha muerto Syd Barrett. Pero el deceso de quien fuera el cerebro inicial de Pink Floyd llevaba varios días oculto en la privacidad. También es secreto el porqué de su muerte, y ya entra en el campo de las especulaciones si fue por causa de una complicación de la diabetes que lo aquejaba o por una sobredosis de drogas, quién sabe. La única certeza es que murió descansando, en casa, a los 60 años. Y que sus funerales serán privados.

El aura de Syd Barrett era pendular entre la genialidad y la locura. Lo blanco y lo negro. Ninguno de los extremos se tragó el otro, por más que en sus últimos 30 años transitara en la oscuridad; una cabeza como aquella solo necesitó de tres años --su tiempo en Pink Floyd, entre 1965 y 1968-- para estampar la eternidad de una música (psicodélica, ácida, caleidoscópica) en la historia del rock.

Sus continuos cambios de realidad, bajo los efectos del LSD, traducidos luego a indescifrables laberintos mentales (se ha hablado de esquizofrenia y autismo), propiciaron su anticipada salida del grupo: fue sustituido por David Gilmour.

Barrett, voz y guitarra, dejó en Pink Floyd un álbum completo, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" (1967), una canción --"Jugband Blues-- de su pluma loca en el siguiente disco, "A Saucerful of Secrets" (1968), y un cúmulo de 'singles' como "Arnold Layne", "See Emily Play" o "Apples and Oranges". Material breve pero tan fuerte que, para muchos, Pink Floyd se divide en un antes y un después de Barrett.

el último resplandor

Dos elepés como solista, "The Madcap Laughs" y "Barrett", ambos lanzados en 1970, y una recopilación de versiones alternas y material perdido, "Opel" (1989), son los espejos más ceñidos a su enmarañado estado mental. Barrett arrastraba con una voz tortuosa los últimos hálitos de genialidad, unidos al cordón de una cabeza colgada de la niebla y la oscuridad.

Una canción, la claustrofóbica "Dark Globe", por ejemplo, es considerada la narración de un esquizofrénico en primera persona. En 1975 sus ex compañeros de Pink Floyd le dedicaron la canción "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", incluido en el álbum "Wish You Were Here", con justicia un gran homenaje, un gran tema.

No hay mucho que decir de ahí en adelante. Barrett se replegó en sus cuatro paredes, al lado de su madre hasta que esta murió, y, según trascendidos, se dedicó domésticamente a la pintura y a la literatura. Sigue brillando, diamante loco.

That's very much for a Peruvian newspaper.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 13 2006 at 23:42

Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 23:55
Here in my country I read in the "Excelsior" newspaper a big article dedicated to Syd`s death. But I have to say that I learned that Syd died because I read it here in this Forum the same day that the news of his death was published. The newspaper published the news the next day.
imoeng View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 08:23
Remember when he was young, he shone like the sun... Rest in peace you crazy diamond...

Olias View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 15:53
Irónicamente desde el mes pasado he estado "viajando" Confused continuamente en mil y un artículos sobre el Diamante Loco.

Mas recientemente en el Screen Film del DVD "Pulse" (Alguien recuerda el primer show del Floyd en el Autodromo?)

Descanse en Paz
wooty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 19:02
Please forgive this unforgivably ignorant question, but what exactly was Syd barrett's cause of death?
"We turn and turn in the animal belly, the mineral belly, the belly of time. To find the way out: the poem."
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 09:32
Originally posted by wooty wooty wrote:

Please forgive this unforgivably ignorant question, but what exactly was Syd barrett's cause of death?

"complications arising from diabetes"
wooty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 09:11
Originally posted by Joolz Joolz wrote:

Originally posted by wooty wooty wrote:

"complications arising from diabetes"
thanks, you know in some of the most recent pictures of him (taken in 2002, I think) he seemed to be relatively healthy and vigorous, sort of like a wild - eyed Ben Kingsley. He did not seem to be very much overweight at all - much less heavier than he was during the time when he showed up for the DSOTM sessions.
"We turn and turn in the animal belly, the mineral belly, the belly of time. To find the way out: the poem."
wooty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 09:12
or rather, WYWH sessions.
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 08:10
There was a tribute night at our local for Syd, lots of local musicians played Syd and Floyd numbers........... it was a GREAT night!

Here is the link to a video I took of "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" featuring Nick Barrett (Pendragon) Andy (Riff) and Jool's Baker (Ex-Pendragon) I had to do some SERIOUS editing to get it to the required lenghth (had to lose about HALF!)  I hope my hacking dosn't upset too many folk!

Enjoy!

P-C
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2008 at 13:39
Shine on you Crazy Diamond!

R.I.P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456