Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy was Syd Barrett a Genius???!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 23:40

YES.
GENIUS...
Arriving somewhere but not here
cowbell1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 00:10
He did do "Wish you were here"
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 00:30
Originally posted by cowbell1 cowbell1 wrote:

He did do "Wish you were here"
.........You know what? Three ellipses simply isn't enough. Here's some more: .......................................

You have a valid question, TLC, but you could have waited a few days to ask it.
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 00:33
Syd Barret was an innovator, a relic of his time, without him Pink Floyd would have never been what they are today.  He had profound influence upon the band's future output, even though he departed the band after their first album.  (he might have appeared on "Jugband Blues" on Saucerful of Secrets not sure though). 

As for a Musical and Lyrical Genius, in the truest sense of the word, it has to be Ian Curtis of Joy Division.  I have never heard more honest music than Joy Division's during JD's short yet poignant career.  Keeeping in mind, that honest music does not necessarily meaning flawless musicianship and great intrument interplay, soaring melodies, and amazing solos. 

DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 00:36
Quote I think Einstein and Mozart had it.

They had synaesthesia, which is the natural crossing of the senses. And I'm pretty sure Syd had it too, and it was wrongly diagnosed as schizophrenia, so he never received the correct treatment.

This is why many of his childhood works had heavy 'psychedelic' influences without actually being acid-inspired.
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 01:12

Edited by The Lost Chord - July 12 2006 at 01:21
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 01:21
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

Sorry if this is offending anyone by making this topic, but I think it is good to discuss this, and talk about syd and what he really did and why he would be a genius.  Sorry im not one to mindlessly mourn people when they die, i just dont see the big deal.

Certainly, though, the human race is innately selfish and will take Syd Barretts death to their own liking and try the best for themselves to benefit.

Sadly, no one will ackowledge what Syd would like done.  Perhaps Syd would like having a thread like this started.

I certainly dont want people wasting time after im gone.  its selfishness at its most natural.

Are you sad for Syd or just for the sake of feeling sad? hmf

Syd wasnt a genius in my opinion, and I just wanted to see why people would refer to him as such...and I found my answer.

So mourning a man's death is selfish.

Ignoring a man's death and focusing on one's own life is empathetic?

I don't follow.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 01:23
i dont want to start an argument its a personal belief im sorry!

dont worry about it, its nothing, i dont want to offend anyone here

back to subject...i am not saying you have to be old to be a legend, thats a misinterpretation, im saying it was sad that he died at 60 that is a young age to die, im just saying usually people are labeled legends when they dont do much after a big bang and kind of fade away like syd did.

say, lee mavers of The La's, considered a legend, a master, a genius...only released one album!  this is why, though, if he releases more he risks his reputation
The Ryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 01:33
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

This I dont get...I like early floyd alot and i enjoy syds solo albums, but why do people constantly refer to him as a genius?

Why, was it because he slipped into the shadows and all for so long and went insane to the world?  It seems everyone who does this is labeled a genius, I think the word is being miss-used

You know whos a genius?  Probably Roger Waters or David Gilmour over Syd, I feel they achieved and did a hell of alot more than Syd ever did in the music world, and thats not a reference to popularity but musical talent!

Genius?  Good song-writer, major drug problems, dying young...this does not consititude genius in my book.

I love your early work syd, rest in peace, but your no genius my friend!
Dude didn't he just die? Give it a week, damn.
Baggiesfaninuk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 01:47
An excellent question TLC and about time it was asked in my opinion.

I believe the Syd Barrett legacy far too thin to enable anyone to form an opinion on this objectively. Therefore it all comes down to how each individual regards what Syd created and indeed, what he has now left behind.

True - I like his compositions on Piper, Madcap, Barrett and Opel. But, many of his songs are quirky, verging on the banal, his guitar work was extremely limited and he relied more on the support of others rather than his individual technique to arrive at the sound many love on his work. He might have turned out to be a genius - who knows? But it is my opinion that Syd "died" many years ago and the romance, mysticism and legend borne by rumour, speculation and of course, "Wish You Were Here", has simply added to the myth that his prowess was far beyond anything I have heard on record in support of popular opinion.

Without Syd, Floyd would not have evolved into what they are now. But it was more due to his lack of creativity, rather than his capability that Floyd became one of the biggest bands on the planet. His looks defined him as a natural frontman - but little else did so - ironic therefore, that at their peak, Floyd reigned supreme without one.

The word genius, is regularly used where it should not be. That he was at the forefront of the underground culture - one where it was the 'scene' that was prevalent and not simply the music - speaks volumes. Long, drawn out improvisations based around sound effects and atonal, unstructured music, heard in isolation, is very difficult to listen too, unless supported by the psychedelic backdrops, primitive videos and of course, the drug-induced trips of the time. Syd wasn't responsible for all of that, merely part of it. And unfortunately, it eventually destroyed what little creative confidence he had.

Zappa was a genius in my opinion. He has the legacy to back up the claim whether one enjoys his music or not. I love some but not all. But there is no denying he left behind a vast repository of diverse musical creativity and his talent in both composition and execution are there for everyone to admire.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Syd. Not a popular opinion judging by this thread, but an honest and realistic one.

RIP Syd.

Edited by Baggiesfaninuk - July 12 2006 at 01:48
My father was a beekeeper before me; his father was a beekeeper. I want to follow in their footsteps. And their footsteps were like this. (Runs screaming) "AAAAAAAH! I'm covered in beeeeees!" - Izzard
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 01:56
Originally posted by Baggiesfaninuk Baggiesfaninuk wrote:

Without Syd, Floyd would not have evolved into what they are now. But it was more due to his lack of creativity, rather than his capability that Floyd became one of the biggest bands on the planet. His looks defined him as a natural frontman - but little else did so - ironic therefore, that at their peak, Floyd reigned supreme without one.
Lack of creativity? Are you serious? You are free to dislike his music, but he was definately creative. I defy you to find me something from 1967 that sounds like PATGOD (other than the general '60s) And what are you talking about Floyd not having a frontman? Waters was their frontman.

Quote RIP Syd.
That's nice. Adding an RIP doesn't excuse you from spending a long time bashing everything he ever did the day after he died.
toolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 02:01

some personal points on the subject:

1.Syd was not a genius..
2.it doesn't matter what age he died at, tottaly irrelevant...
3.there are greater music talents out there, that's for sure...
4.no one, i mean NO ONE can ever guess how Floyd would be if he didn't leave the band...my humble opinion is that he would drag the rest down with him and Roger wouldn't have the space to conceive the brilliant music of WYWH, DSOTM, the Wall and Animals.. lets face it, the guy was a different kind of song writer...
5.Syd was a bohemian, drug addict, mediocre player. This doesn't add up to a genius...
6.by the time Floyd released PATGOD, Britain's psychedelic rock scene was already very active.. he was not as influential as you think...
7.boy, if i were stoned all the time too, hell, i could put a few words together and impress you...
Legoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 02:01
He basically made the psychedelic music genre.  Genius enough for me.
Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 02:13
Originally posted by toolis toolis wrote:

some personal points on the subject:

1.Syd was not a genius..
2.it doesn't matter what age he died at, tottaly irrelevant...
3.there are greater music talents out there, that's for sure...
4.no one, i mean NO ONE can ever guess how Floyd would be if he didn't leave the band...my humble opinion is that he would drag the rest down with him and Roger wouldn't have the space to conceive the brilliant music of WYWH, DSOTM, the Wall and Animals.. lets face it, the guy was a different kind of song writer...
5.Syd was a bohemian, drug addict, mediocre player. This doesn't add up to a genius...
6.by the time Floyd released PATGOD, Britain's psychedelic rock scene was already very active.. he was not as influential as you think...
7.boy, if i were stoned all the time too, hell, i could put a few words together and impress you...

Well said! I agree with every word.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 02:17
By the way guys, he actually died on the 7th.  The news was only released yesterday.
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 02:18
You guys are a bunch of jerks. :( I bet somebody would complain if I went and made fun of Jon Anderson the day after his death is announced, but when it's Syd the crazy man...

Yes, I do think the situations are comparable if you're a Yes fan.

Good point Gecko, although it's basically the same situation as if he had died today since nobody knew about it until today. (Well except for him and his family, of course. I think I'm not being all that coherent.)

Edited by Ghandi 2 - July 12 2006 at 02:20
Baggiesfaninuk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 02:19
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Originally posted by Baggiesfaninuk Baggiesfaninuk wrote:

Lack of creativity? Are you serious? You are free to dislike his music, but he was definately creative. I defy you to find me something from 1967 that sounds like PATGOD (other than the general '60s) And what are you talking about Floyd not having a frontman? Waters was their frontman.

Quote RIP Syd.
That's nice. Adding an RIP doesn't excuse you from spending a long time bashing everything he ever did the day after he died.

Grow up for God's sake. You are reading what you want to and not taking my whole post in context. Your choice I guess.

It is a matter of opinion as to whether this debate is better to have when someone is alive and can see what is said - as happens all the time here - I don't see you worrying about that.

I never said I disliked Syd's output; I enjoy PATGOD. But the question was asked regrding his status as a 'genius'. Period. That is the context of my response.

As for Water's being the frontman? Greatest influence - maybe. Frontman on stage? Not when I saw them live on many occasions.

Don't take such offence, just because someone disagrees with your opinion.
My father was a beekeeper before me; his father was a beekeeper. I want to follow in their footsteps. And their footsteps were like this. (Runs screaming) "AAAAAAAH! I'm covered in beeeeees!" - Izzard
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 02:26

It's not about whether or not the person being discussed can read what is written; it's about having a sense of propriety.

Maybe I am reading your post the wrong way, but overall your post seems very harsh to me.

Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 02:53
Originally posted by DeepPhreeze DeepPhreeze wrote:

[quote]I think Einstein and Mozart had it.

They had synaesthesia, which is the natural crossing of the senses. And I'm pretty sure Syd had it too, and it was wrongly diagnosed as schizophrenia, so he never received the correct treatment.

I was meaning Einstein and Mozart had Aspergers Syndrome not Schitzophrenia. Some thing Barett had it; I doubt it, because he a real extrovert in his youth, usually people with Asp. Syn. are extremely introverted growing up etc.

Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 03:07
Originally posted by CaptainWafflos CaptainWafflos wrote:

Syd Barrett was sixty years old. He didn't die young~

It's a hell of a lot better than people considering Kurt Cobain to be a musical genius, at least. Syd at least had an undeniable amount of musical talent.

Syd was a big loss. Greg Allman and Betts  died young and they were very good musicians.

And don't forget he founded Pink Floyd.

Edited by Australian - July 12 2006 at 03:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>