3 [6.00%]
8 [16.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Director
    Posted: July 15 2006 at 10:28
Not enough options for these: Kieslovski, Brian De Palma, Scorsese, Wim Wenders, Hal Hartley, Frank Capra, Fritz Lang, Bertolucci, Pasolini, Robert Bresson, Ridley Scott, Roy Andersson, Billy Wilder, Jacques Tati, Jenuet & Caro. The list is endless...

I tried to be a bit less of a snob than I actually am, so I held my nose and included Spielberg, Lucas and Jackson. It feels very wrong, but I know they have a lot more fans than Robert Bresson.

There's atleast 15 directors here worthy of my vote, but I decided to go for Ingmar Bergman. One of the greatest and most important artists of the 20th century with countless classics. My favorite of his so far is Wild Strawberries.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Psychedelia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 10:43

Peter Jackson has never made a bad film from the comedy gore of Braindead, the perverted puppetry of Meet the Feebles to the epics of Lord of the Rings. He is the best

Another emotional suicide, overdosed on sentiment and pride
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 15:02
Not very original of me, but Hitchcock is my favorite.

Tim Burton and David Fincher (Fight Club, Se7en) are my favorite "modern" directors.

Twinpeaks just might be the best tv-program I've ever seen, but some of Lynch's films are not really to my taste. Mulholland Drive was great, though.

Good list!

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 15:49
Kubrick from your list

but the ace up my sleeve would be Spain's Julio Medem
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 16:11
There is, of course, a difference between "best" and "favorite."  If we are talking "best" - which would mean most influential and/or largest and/or most amazing body of work - then Welles, Hitchcock, Kusosawa, Fellini, possibly Kubrick.

As for "favorite," the above five, plus Spielberg and a couple of others.  As well, the absence of both Ridley Scott and Peter Weir is inexcusable.

Peace.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 16:38
Kubrick/Burton/Gilliam
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 17:18

I voted Coppola.  Apocalypse Now, the Godfather films, and Rocky are excellent examples of why he is such a brilliant director.  Especially Apocalypse now, that picture was filmed in a way only Coppola could.

Spielberg makes some excellent films too, whether it's War of the Worlds, Minority Report, or Close Encounters of a Third Kind, Spielberg will have some of the most unique camera angles.

Honorable mention of Wolfgang Peterson.  He makes all types of films, and his work is so different in each film, you can't really say that's his style.

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 17:46
He-he-he...Thumbs UpApproveBig smileWink

Thanks, Rocktopus!!!

Surely, an obvious... RWFBig smileBig smileBig smileThumbs Up...   ...   ...

Well, seriously now: Tarkovskij, without a doubt!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 17:58
Carlos Saura, Sergej Eisenstein, the brothers Kaurismäki (Aki and Mika) and Charlie Chaplin are also missing on the list. And I am sure I could come upm with a lot more names if I hought about it for a moment. And Chaplin definitely was one of the most influental directors of all times.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 15 2006 at 18:02

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 18:05
I really feel that Herzog might not actuella be the best, or even one of them, since many of his best films rely very heavily on the personalities of the actors/people he's doing his documentary on, but at the same time i feel he deserves a vote, if only for the wonderfully creepy atmosphere of Aguirre. (which, arguably, also owns a lot to the energy of kinski as an actor). I could just as easily vote for Von Trier though, i think he's a very.. "prog" director :)

Edited by Evans - July 15 2006 at 18:05
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 18:31
I can't, and wouldn't say who is best, and it's a great list aside from the ones you noted, Spielberg, Lucas, and Jackson.  I do think Jackson's Heavenly Creatures was well-directed.  And gotta say I liked Schindler's List. And THX-1138 is one of my favourite sci-fi movies (Brazil, Delicatessan, Stalker, 2001 are better still), as is Close Encounters... Hmm, come to think of it, maybe they do somewhat deserve to be in such prestigious company.

Of your list, my favourite may be Lars von Trier.  Or, probably Kubrick actually.

My vote could go for Kieslowski, Imamura, or Zhang Yimou.

I think I'll choose Zhang Yimou... it was largely because of him that I pursued film studies in the 90's.  And Gong Li may have had something to do with it too.

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 18:35
Oh, right.. i just remembered who my favourite was, thank you :)
Ever since i saw Chungking express i always knew that Wong Kar-Wai would have a special place in my dvd-rack, i just love films with melancholic people looking out over a rainy hong kong at night (or lovesick cops talking to their teddybears..).
imoeng View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 18:44
Don't know much about directors.. Who directed "Scary Movie"? I vote for him/her..

Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 18:51
I have to say George Lucas, even though all the non-Star Wars stuff he has made is pretty bad. Next would be Wes Anderson followed by Tim Burton, all good.Clap
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 18:59
I love Wong Kar-Wai movies... I must admit that his most commercial hit, in The Mood For Love was my favourite.  I almost mentioned him, I was really absorbed by this director a year or so ago when I was anticipating 2046.  I couldn't wait for it it to hit the cinemas here (took a long time for its North American release), and so bought a Hong Kong DVD of it instead.

I think it was the flimscore that really appealed to me -- it just worked so well with the images.  Must buy some Shigeru Umebayashi music (and Peer Raben and Michael Galasso).

A few more directors I like that haven't been mentioned are Peter Greenaway,  Lindsay Anderson, Chen Kaige, Bigas Luna, Agnieszka Holland, Juzo Itami, and Volker Schlondorff. And well, I could think of lots.

A couple classic directors that really deserves nods are Fritz Lang and Robert Weine.  Especially Lang for Metropolis I think.

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 19:04
Wes Anderson is really interesting, pretty alternative humor..
Probably nothing for someone who'd vote Fellini in this poll, though.
Some people think he's trying TOO hard to be alternative, to the point where it's just not funny anymore, but i don't know, the only issue i have with his three latest films are the overusage of 60's rock songs. But then again, iäd probably do the same thing if i were a director - stick all my favourite songs in wherever i could fit them :)
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 19:43
I always write best on topic, and favorite on poll question. Meaning; I'm trying to find out whose considered the best by asking for everyone's personal favorite.

On directors missing I'm fine with all suggestions except for Mika Kaurismaki. Don't think he qualifies in this company. But his brother Aki does.

Maani: Can't see Weir and Scott being more inexcusable than leaving out any of the ones actually in the poll. They've both (escpecially Scott) made more forgettable films than most directors I've chosen to include imo.

I sure thought Fassbinder would have atleast one certain vote, Fassbinder. Tarkovsky's Andrej Rubljov is in my own top ten. He is just as fantastic and important as Bergman.

Logan: I saw Ju Dou when I was too young to appreciate it. I've recently seen both Hero and House of Flying Daggers. Both ok, but too much of an pompous overdose of scenographic beauty. I know these are not the films that Zhang Yimou got his reputation from.

I love the three Wong Kar-Wai films I've seen. Including Chunking Express. Not as charming, but i thought In the Mood For Love was very beautiful.

Here's some more important names not mentioned yet: Quentin Tarantino, Cronenberg, the Coen brothers , Antonioni, Bunuel, Blake Edwards, John Ford, Eric Rohmer, Nicholas Roeg, Jean Cocteau (his version of Beauty and the Beast is stunning).

I don't know much about asian movies or directors, so I've probably left out a lot of great names.

BTW: I also love Star Wars (old ones), Close Encounters, Heavenly Creatures etc... but still I don't think Lucas, Spielberg or Jackson are among the top 25 best directors ever.

Edited by Rocktopus - July 15 2006 at 19:53
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 22:14
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Logan: I saw Ju Dou when I was too young to appreciate it. I've recently seen both Hero and House of Flying Daggers. Both ok, but too much of an pompous overdose of scenographic beauty. I know these are not the films that Zhang Yimou got his reputation from.

I love the three Wong Kar-Wai films I've seen. Including Chunking Express. Not as charming, but i thought In the Mood For Love was very beautiful.

I was alrready 20 when I first caught Zhang's work.

He earned his directorial reputation, I'd say, with his early ones with Gong Li: Red Sorgum, Ju Dou, Raise the Red Lantern, and The Story of Qiu Ju.  His trademark was the "pompous overdose of scenographic beauty" as you put it.  That's what really caught my eye with his early films, although he didn't film theThe Story of Qiu Ju like that.   He started out as a cinematographer and you can find it in the films he worked on before becoming  a director.  I find it satisfyingly magnificent.  Don't think I'll ever forget the sight of the sorghum blowing in the breeze.  I like breaks in action to pause and reflect, and am often more interested in image than plot, so I like stylization.

He has quite a few films that aren't like that: Not One Less is a beautiful little story simply told.  I actually haven't watched Hero or House of Flying Daggers, since between Chen Kaige'sThe Emperor and the Assassin and Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, hidden Dragon I felt I'd had enough of that kind of stuff for a while.  Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman was far more satisfying for me than Crouching Tiger.

As for Wong Kar-Wai, it's not a film I'd recommend to most, but have you seen 2046?  It's a quasi-sequel (more that it's related to) to In the Mood For Love.  Ashes of Time might be one to watch for for those who enjoy swordplay -- haven't seen it myself yet.

Since you reminded me of it, think I'll put on my Cronenberg Videodrome DVD now.  Long live the new flesh!

Oh, a couple of other prominent Canadian directors to mention are Atom Egoyan and Denys Arcand.

Too many great directors from around the world as you recognise -- it rather deserves to be split up by country.  Was Satyagit Ray mentioned etc. etc.?
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 22:28
Where's Peter Greenaway?

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 22:34
Peter Greenaway would be in the poll if it was possible. Same as with ca. 30 other worthy directors not included.
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>