Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FREE Legal MP3 downloads of Prog music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 65>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Paw View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 11:58
Thanks a lot. As new prog fan I've to check nice stuff. Wink
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 12:35
https://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

Just made Bansheeface a free download. You can find plenty of reviews on this site so I don't have to try to describe it :)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 12:39
I thought I actually reviewed it but I didn't...an opportunity to relisten to it... 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 14:36
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

A live version of Easy Money by King Crimson (20.11.2015, Toronto) is available as a free 192 kB MP3 download. Recommended!

Good find, thanks!

The first album of UTU (crossover prog): http://utuofficial.bandcamp.com/album/songs-in-flesh-minor-2
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 15:38
The releases of jazz fusion band Yojo are free here: http://yojo.bandcamp.com/

I don't listened to it yet, but Octopus-4 reviewed their first album, seems to be good!

Edited by tupan - June 21 2016 at 15:39
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 00:29
I liked it a lot and is still in my portable player, but don't trust the reviewers. It's always about personsl tastes :)
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 06:40
Just to update you all - no more free stuff from Brotherhood of the Machine. We've recently spent a fortune on kit, and our experience of free music is that it just doesn't generate sales. You may have noticed that this thread is slowing down.... looks like other bands have come to the same conclusion. 

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 06:44
I'm afraid that you are right.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2016 at 03:39
I'm afraid I am. 
In typical fashion, as soon as I'd posted, someone went on the website and downloaded the free single. Did they download any payable material ? Nope. ;-) 

Now, I'm not having a go at anyone here, but looking back at sales since March, no one has actually downloaded any payable material as a result of first playing the "free download" stuff. (I get protests from "proper prog rock fans" on this site that they DO support artists. They seem to forget I get full analytical stats from my website...... they don't. )

Forget my example for a moment. Widen it to "all prog rock groups ". 

Everyone goes off and downloads the free stuff, don't support the artists, proclaim that they ARE paying for music when in fact, they're not, or are in a massive rarity if they do. This seems to be the case, and after a dalliance with free releases, most musicians seem to come to the conclusion that free releases do not generate sales. 

The result is that musicians just give up or play by themselves, rather than be ripped off. In a musically minor genre, that means effective death of new material fairly quickly. "Is this happening, Dave ? " - well, look how quickly this thread slowed down. Most musicians.... cannot be bothered. And who can blame them ? 

An argument is "Only proper musicians will continue to release music when there is no profit in it", which is not exactly the case...... the case is when you are putting years of effort into releasing music for people who are not fans (fans support bands) but behave more like freeloaders, you lose all respect for them. 

I'm not criticising this thread, I like releasing free stuff occasionally, nor am I criticising people who download the occasional free track. Feel free. Please, however, look at how much free music is being released and ask yourself a question about the future of prog rock if you do not actually support it..... properly. 

No griping or complaints here....... observation. Use the evidence provided by your own eyes, ladies and gents. 

Proper musicians will start playing amongst themselves - who needs the hassle of setting up gigs ? - or they'll operate strict fan clubs only. It's a two way thing. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - July 08 2016 at 03:44

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2016 at 03:43
However. Here's a link to the free single again. ;-)

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/free-single-ketamine-dream-machine

Join the fan club for £5 a month and you get 3 albums and an EP immediately. You can then quit, if you like. ;-) The money is, in fact, fairly meaningless, but having a proper two way relationship with real fans.... is. That's what we're in it for. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - July 08 2016 at 03:46

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2016 at 08:32
https://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/album/enter-the-sentai

"Enter the Sentai" the new Pseudo/Sentai album is completely free on bandcamp.

I'm perfectly fine with none of you paying any money for this as long as you intently listen.

Edited by Smurph - July 08 2016 at 15:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 09:06
Smile

Sardonite Calamity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sardonite Calamity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 17:47
Wouldn't 8-bit Prog be cool?
I used to have a really good signature but I forgot it...
simonwood44 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonwood44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 06:51
Kettlespider have a new project called "Building a Spider", in which they have been releasing a new song, or "leg" of the spider, each month since March! The project will continue until October, with all songs available for Free download! 

Kettlespider - Heavy Instrumental Prog

http://kettlespider.bandcamp.com

http://www.facebook.com/kettlespider

http://www.youtube.com/kettlespider

[email protected]

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 08:46
Perhaps crossing over more into "Electronica" than prog rock, here's our latest freely downloadable single, which is a bit "Tangerine Dream" in places. 

You might have noticed that this thread has slowed to a virtual standstill. We'll be releasing the occasional free single, but !!! Sad fact of the matter is that free singles do not equate to sales. If you support a band, buy some of their other discography. 

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/u-bahn-nr-105

Edited by Davesax1965 - August 29 2016 at 08:48

dinesha4n View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinesha4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 01:53
It is not secured so official downloads cannot be accessed right time
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 03:14
That's your browser security settings. 

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 07:44
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I'm afraid I am. 
In typical fashion, as soon as I'd posted, someone went on the website and downloaded the free single. Did they download any payable material ? Nope. ;-) 

Now, I'm not having a go at anyone here, but looking back at sales since March, no one has actually downloaded any payable material as a result of first playing the "free download" stuff. (I get protests from "proper prog rock fans" on this site that they DO support artists. They seem to forget I get full analytical stats from my website...... they don't. )

Forget my example for a moment. Widen it to "all prog rock groups ". 

Everyone goes off and downloads the free stuff, don't support the artists, proclaim that they ARE paying for music when in fact, they're not, or are in a massive rarity if they do. This seems to be the case, and after a dalliance with free releases, most musicians seem to come to the conclusion that free releases do not generate sales. 

The result is that musicians just give up or play by themselves, rather than be ripped off. In a musically minor genre, that means effective death of new material fairly quickly. "Is this happening, Dave ? " - well, look how quickly this thread slowed down. Most musicians.... cannot be bothered. And who can blame them ? 

An argument is "Only proper musicians will continue to release music when there is no profit in it", which is not exactly the case...... the case is when you are putting years of effort into releasing music for people who are not fans (fans support bands) but behave more like freeloaders, you lose all respect for them. 

I'm not criticising this thread, I like releasing free stuff occasionally, nor am I criticising people who download the occasional free track. Feel free. Please, however, look at how much free music is being released and ask yourself a question about the future of prog rock if you do not actually support it..... properly. 

No griping or complaints here....... observation. Use the evidence provided by your own eyes, ladies and gents. 

Proper musicians will start playing amongst themselves - who needs the hassle of setting up gigs ? - or they'll operate strict fan clubs only. It's a two way thing. 

You're right, man. Offering music for free was sort of a trend some years ago. The central idea, I think, it that the fans would support the band buying merch and going in shows.

This don't happened very often, I'm afraid. But many bands still release music for free even only as promotional singles.

I agree with you, we need to support the bands from the prog scene buying their albums too. And, of course, going to gigs and buying merch!

It's a business, after all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 07:58
Go on, folks, have another free track. This features the modular synth - see "The Mighty Modular Synth" thread in Tech Talk. 

If you want to download this for nothing, just put 0 in as the amount you'd like to pay. If you want to contribute to the cause, we won't stop you. You might just stop us if you don't, though. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 09:14
Actually, I've followed this up by making several tracks on the band website free downloads.

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/

I think there's four or five there. Download away, folks - we DO record your e-mail address. You do get the very occasional mail from us. Do us a favour. If you are going to download free music, respect the artist, buy some music from time to time. Or threads like this slow to a grinding halt. As you may have noticed. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 65>