Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHigh Tide - Prog Rock or Prog Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: High Tide - Prog Rock or Prog Metal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [71.88%]
9 [28.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 07:47
Originally posted by ivansfr0st ivansfr0st wrote:

Wait, so why should Prog-Metal be like High Tide? I get it not.

-- Ivan

Because prog-metal as it is now (well, most of it) is pathetic.

carefulwiththataxe
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 07:50
LOL It may seem pathietic to you ... but only if you expect it to be something which it never claimed to be.Wink
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 08:14
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

LOL It may seem pathietic to you ... but only if you expect it to be something which it never claimed to be.Wink

Like progressive?
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 09:11
LOL Now you're being pathetic. There are enough PM albums which are progressive beyond any discussion. We can argue about whether *on average* PM is less progressive than 70s Prog Rock though. But then again most "metalheads" wouldn't deny that.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 09:28
This time I was actually trying to be a little humorous, Mike.
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 09:35
^ you're always so dead serious ... give us an emoticon next time!Wink
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 09:36

-- Ivan

Because High Tide had a certain quality I miss within most of Prog Metal (with the odd exception). It is hard to put into words what it is; the best I can come up with is a certain "dirtiness" of High Tide, which I miss in most prog metal acts. They are heavy, yes, but somehow squeaky clean. There is a German expression, "die Sau rauslassen", "letting the sow out". High Tide could do that, most of prog metal can't, in my opinion, however hard they may be. It is strangely lifeless and sterile. As I said, there are exceptions, but not many.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 26 2006 at 10:53

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 09:39

^ you're always so dead serious ... give us an emoticon next time!Wink

That's how you interpret me. I don't like using these guys at all LOLWinkBig smileEmbarrassed. Have to start writing ha-ha-ha all the time, I guess.
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 09:42
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

-- Ivan

Because High Tide had a certain quality I miss within most of Prog Metal (with the odd exception). It is hard to put into words what it is; the best I can come up with is a certain "dirtyness" of High Tide, which I miss in most prog metal acts. They are heavy, yes, but somehow squeaky clean. There is a German expression, "die Sau rauslassen", "letting the sow out". High Tide could do that, most of prog metal can't, in my opinion, however hard they may be. It is strangely lifeless and sterile. As I said, there are exceptions, but not many.

Maybe you would like the Hammers of Fortune ... you should give them a try. I think there are some samples on their homepage (you find them in the websites list on my homepage).
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 10:55

-- Ivan

Because High Tide had a certain quality I miss within most of Prog Metal (with the odd exception). It is hard to put into words what it is; the best I can come up with is a certain "dirtyness" of High Tide, which I miss in most prog metal acts. They are heavy, yes, but somehow squeaky clean. There is a German expression, "die Sau rauslassen", "letting the sow out". High Tide could do that, most of prog metal can't, in my opinion, however hard they may be. It is strangely lifeless and sterile. As I said, there are exceptions, but not many.

I have never understood where you draw your conclusions from; most of the Prog-Metal I listen to is as emotionally powerful and engaging as nothing I have ever heard, and I have now completely resorted my reviewing time to my favourite artists(which is why I was made a Prog Reviewer, I guess), instead of offering just another opinion on oftenly covered, "famous" artists and prog greats.

Neither do I really understand what you mean by the "dirtiness of sound", as the albums you mentioned in this and your previous post didn't strike as something particularly "dirty".

Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

-- Ivan

That's like saying Led Zeppelin is Death Metal, because I think most Death Metal is pathetic, and I'd rather those "funny bands" sound like Zep. Even if one means "quality", "quality" is not measured by a number, and is just a matter of taste, experience, comprehension, as well as mere like/dislike.

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Like progressive?

Shhhhhhhhure, it'd be a great progress if all Prog-Metal bands decided to shut up, round up in a circle and sound like High Tide while holding hands together. Wink

-- Ivan
sig
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 12:24

-- Ivan

I have never understood where you draw your conclusions from; most of the Prog-Metal I listen to is as emotionally powerful and engaging as nothing I have ever heard, and I have now completely resorted my reviewing time to my favourite artists(which is why I was made a Prog Reviewer, I guess), instead of offering just another opinion on oftenly covered, "famous" artists and prog greats.

Neither do I really understand what you mean by the "dirtiness of sound", as the albums you mentioned in this and your previous post didn't strike as something particularly "dirty".

-- Ivan

That's like saying Led Zeppelin is Death Metal, because I think most Death Metal is pathetic, and I'd rather those "funny bands" sound like Zep. Even if one means "quality", "quality" is not measured by a number, and is just a matter of taste, experience, comprehension, as well as mere like/dislike.

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Like progressive?

Shhhhhhhhure, it'd be a great progress if all Prog-Metal bands decided to shut up, round up in a circle and sound like High Tide while holding hands together. Wink

-- Ivan

I didn't say anything about emotions, I said something about cleanliness. Although very hard, prog metal is vary rarely really dissonant; why, even the distorted guitars don't sound distorted anymore (which is probably due to over-production of albums). That's what I mean when I talk about "clean". Although I still am not satisfied with my words; somehow I can't convey how I feel about it.
And no, I don't expect prog metal bands to sound like High Tide. But I certainly wish them to be more daring. Playing hard and fast is not daring, in my opinion.
By the way, my posts are rarely about the standard artists either.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 26 2006 at 13:14

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 12:43

With all due respect, I have stopped expecting anything from this sub-genre for quite a while now. But same does not prevent me from listening to some of new recommended metal acts. This is probably because there is some hidden hope deep inside that I shall suddenly find something interesting. The freshest example - yesterday I was given "For the love of art.... " by Beyond Twilight, the album highly spoken about by all prog-metal-heads I know. After having listened to it, I was thinking how to better describe this album - and "pathetic" is the right word for it, I think.
From the other hand I have discovered one very interesting band recently - "Secret Chiefs 3" and I liked their album called "Book of Horizons", then I learned that the band is under "Prog-metal" label here in PA. But this means incorrect positionning of the band IMO rather than that I love metal again.

Oh, and I did not get this Led Zeppelin/death metal associations given by Ivan, thus can't reply/comment it.

carefulwiththataxe
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 11:49
Prog Rock / Proto-Prog-Rock
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 12:32

With all due respect, I have stopped expecting anything from this sub-genre for quite a while now. But same does not prevent me from listening to some of new recommended metal acts. This is probably because there is some hidden hope deep inside that I shall suddenly find something interesting. The freshest example - yesterday I was given "For the love of art.... " by Beyond Twilight, the album highly spoken about by all prog-metal-heads I know. After having listened to it, I was thinking how to better describe this album - and "pathetic" is the right word for it, I think.
From the other hand I have discovered one very interesting band recently - "Secret Chiefs 3" and I liked their album called "Book of Horizons", then I learned that the band is under "Prog-metal" label here in PA. But this means incorrect positionning of the band IMO rather than that I love metal again.

Oh, and I did not get this Led Zeppelin/death metal associations given by Ivan, thus can't reply/comment it.

I also think that Secret Chiefs 3 are not a prog metal band ... but you have to admit that Book of Horizons has some pretty heavy Death Metal like parts.Big smile

BTW: Why didn't you read the Beyond Twilight reviews? They describe the album pretty accurately, and it should be obvious that their latest album  contains some of the trademarks which often annoy "non metalheads". 
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 12:52
Of course, I agree - it's pretty obvious, but this minor use of death metal features does not make album or band "metal" - but we are in agreement on this point, anyway.

I am normally reading reviews when I am thinking about buying a particular album and want to know what other people think of it. In this particular case I was just given it to listen, and...yeah...right...what else could I expect...pathetic...does not matter what reviews say...leave it to those able to enjoy...not for me though..etc etc etc...

But, wait a minute, what we are talking here about? Yeah, High Tide!
I wish prog-metal follow and develop the direction HighTide initiated, but...life is life and metal is metal.Smile  
carefulwiththataxe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12