Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBruce Cockburn - Progfolk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bruce Cockburn - Progfolk?
    Posted: July 24 2006 at 11:52
Probably not, but he did have his prog moments. I've been into him since the early 80's when I first heard Dancing In The Dragon's Jaw which I still consider my favorite album of his. Nice blend of folk/rock with a little jazz thrown in. Any fans out there?    

Edited by marktheshark - July 24 2006 at 13:07
Nanook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 19:48
I like his work, the disc I like best is Nothing but a burning light. Good stuff.

Stealing Fire and as you said Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws are excellent. The man is prolific to say the least, I lost count of the number of albums he's done. It's got to be in the high 30's.

When I bought my XM radio back in February, it just so happened one of the channels had a live in the studio concert of Cockburn. He did a great job, playing pretty much by himself. Still has a good voice, and plays guitar well.

Like most good music, he almost never gets any air play on regular radio. You may hear Rocket Launcher once in a while, but not much else.
Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.    
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 03:59
Before getting in consideration Cockburn, I think we should first look at John Martyn and Tim Buckley whose fused folk and jazz well before Cockburn has. And Joni Mitchell dids that in a few albums as well.

Noyt in the near foreseeable future and certainly not before Martyn and Buckley, will I be able to look at Bruce's case, >>> especially given that I consider my Prog Folk inclusion team colleagues AWOL, and soon MIA if not DOA
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 11:39
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Before getting in consideration Cockburn, I think we should first look at John Martyn and Tim Buckley whose fused folk and jazz well before Cockburn has. And Joni Mitchell dids that in a few albums as well.

Noyt in the near foreseeable future and certainly not before Martyn and Buckley, will I be able to look at Bruce's case, >>> especially given that I consider my Prog Folk inclusion team colleagues AWOL, and soon MIA if not DOA

You maybe right, but Cockburn has never once been mentioned here as Martyn and Buckley have. So I just thought I'd throw him in the pot with the other competitors.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 11:55
Originally posted by marktheshark marktheshark wrote:

You maybe right, but Cockburn has never once been mentioned here as Martyn and Buckley have. So I just thought I'd throw him in the pot with the other competitors.

But you did right, as when I first got aware of Cockburn's music in my early 20's , I did not give him much a chance. But I did follow his earlty career from afar. I fully agree with you that Dragon album being his apex in his oeuvre.

I promise to listen to him again in the coming monthsWink
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 00:48

Originally posted by marktheshark marktheshark wrote:

But you did right, as when I first got aware of Cockburn's music in my early 20's , I did not give him much a chance. But I did follow his earlty career from afar. I fully agree with you that Dragon album being his apex in his oeuvre.

I promise to listen to him again in the coming months[IMG]height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

I would probably say that the most proggy thing about him is his lyrics. They can get really out there, especially on the opening cut on the Dragon album called "Creation Dream". It's downright hallucinagenic! Musically he gets pretty prog, but those lyrics are something else.

CREATION DREAM

Centred on silence
Counting on nothing
I saw you standing on the sea
And everything was
Dark except for
Sparks the wind struck from your hair
Sparks that turned to
Wings around you
Angel voices mixed with seabird cries
Fields of motion
Surging outward
Questions that contain their own replies...

You were dancing
I saw you dancing
Throwing your arms toward the sky
Fingers opening
Like flares
Stars were shooting everywhere
Lines of power
Bursting outward
Along the channels of your song
Mercury waves flashed
Under your feet
Shots of silver in the shell-pink dawn...

See what I mean?

Edited by marktheshark - July 26 2006 at 00:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 03:16
I know.

I have the same envy to call Nick Drake also Folk Prog, partly because of his superb texts (and his music also) , but I fear we are rather out of focus (great band BTWWink) for the Archives
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
 Post Reply Post Reply