Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedyour opinion on illeagaly downloading music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: should it be leagal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [16.67%]
20 [47.62%]
3 [7.14%]
4 [9.52%]
8 [19.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: your opinion on illeagaly downloading music?
    Posted: July 25 2006 at 03:19
i was thinking this morning about how some of steve hacketts newer albums are designed so that they can be listened to on the computer, but the songs cannot be removed. i was thinking that this would probably be good to prevent them losing money to the inconsiderate souls who download their music for free off programs like limewire. But this also prevents them being loaded on my ipod, which is the primary portable listening device. I mean, all mp3 devices, irivers, i pods and anything else that uses a computer to load its music onto it is now useless. If this keeps up, there will be a decline in illeagal downloading, but people will no longer listen to music on their portable music devices, meaning that the musicians will get less listeners. how is this fair?Ouch and tell me, is this convoluted or what?AngryAngry
krring View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 05:36
'Should it be made legal?'? There is such a thing as legally downloading music, and... making it legal to illegally download music...? Confused 'Too convoluted to make an opinion' is my answer, then.

Otherwise, illegally obtaining music is a great way to explore without the commitment of rewarding the artist for their work. All data albums in my collection that i revere I do strive to buy.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 05:57
NO

Use Napster instead - at least if you're living in a country where a service like Napster is available, there is no excuse for not using it. And if you happen to own an iPod ... well, you should have thought about that before you bought such a proprietary player.Wink

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - July 25 2006 at 05:59
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 05:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

NO
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 06:27

Confused

hackett acolyte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 06:43

NO

Use Napster instead - at least if you're living in a country where a service like Napster is available, there is no excuse for not using it. And if you happen to own an iPod ... well, you should have thought about that before you bought such a proprietary player.Wink

everytime you download a song from these programs you take away the artists cd sale. You are STEALING from them. It seems to me that it isnt the right thing to do.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 06:47
Originally posted by hackett acolyte hackett acolyte wrote:

NO

everytime you download a song from these programs you take away the artists cd sale. You are STEALING from them. It seems to me that it isnt the right thing to do.

That's just not true. Maybe you should do more research on how these services work?

In a nutshell: Everytime a user *listens* to a track on Napster, this information is made available to the rights holders of the track - usually this is the record company. Napster pays 70-80% of the subscription fees to the record companies, and they can use the playback statistics to forward a part of the money to the artists.

So each time I listen, I'm paying the artist.Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 07:10

NO

That's just not true. Maybe you should do more research on how these services work?

In a nutshell: Everytime a user *listens* to a track on Napster, this information is made available to the rights holders of the track - usually this is the record company. Napster pays 70-80% of the subscription fees to the record companies, and they can use the playback statistics to forward a part of the money to the artists.

So each time I listen, I'm paying the artist.Smile

i wonder if limewire has the same policy? surely not.
Im glad there are SOME fair downloading services out there, but i know there are many shifty ones which are definately not paying royalties.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 07:12
and by the way, before i forget, nice avatar, i like the whale.Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 07:25
^ aha ... you're talking about the old Napster service. It was shut down by the music industry a couple of years ago and then re-launched as a legal service.

BTW: The whale is from the Gojira album from last year ... if you like experimental metal, check them out. I also believe they have some free tracks on their website.
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 07:55
Illegal downloads suck, they are destroying music and the problem is basically eveyone does it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 07:59

^ aha ... you're talking about the old Napster service. It was shut down by the music industry a couple of years ago and then re-launched as a legal service.

BTW: The whale is from the Gojira album from last year ... if you like experimental metal, check them out. I also believe they have some free tracks on their website.

quite possibly, but there is a service in Australia which is called lime wire, which im not sure if it is actualy a version of napster, but is definately follows the same program. So does share bear.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 08:44
FIFTH AMENDMENT!!!Tongue
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 09:01

quite possibly, but there is a service in Australia which is called lime wire, which im not sure if it is actualy a version of napster, but is definately follows the same program. So does share bear.

If you go to www.napster.com you'll see that it doesn't have anything in common with services like limewire, share bear, kazaa or edonkey ... Napster isn't about file sharing anymore.Smile
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:27
I voted "too convoluted to make opinion"

Without filesharing, I wouldn't be writing this, because I wouldn't have discovered Prog. I download albums to check out an artist. If I like it, I order it or go out and buy it immediately. Lately though, I have been able to decide wheter to buy an album or not without downloading it first, thanks to the free mp3 streaming on this site, a really good initiative! Clap

I am not in favor of illegal downloading, it's a handy way to discover music, but the artists does lose money. One of the main arguments of people who are pro-filesharing is that today's record prices are far too high, however, there are plenty of legitimate online stores where one can buy music (and especially prog, I've found Smile) at acceptable prices. So with limited free streaming on artist websites, aswell as better information (possibly an advertisement banner on an artist's website) on where to order CDs at good prices, the filesharing could probably be reduced heavily.

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:31
In small doses for me. If the album is rare or expensive I'll download it.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:37
I buy mostly used vinyls... AND THE ARTISTS GETS NOTHING! Cry But I get a cool vintage artifact, which nobody can share via net. As a crime, file sharing is nothing compared when people get stabbed to the face on the streets. Have you seen it ever happen?

Edited by Eetu Pellonpää - July 25 2006 at 10:37
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:37
It is a problem indeed; but they should see it coming.
¡Beware of the Bee!

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:47
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

I buy mostly used vinyls... AND THE ARTISTS GETS NOTHING! Cry But I get a cool vintage artifact, which nobody can share via net. As a crime, file sharing is nothing compared when people get stabbed to the face on the streets. Have you seen it ever happen?

This is a great point, as I, too buy a lot of used vinyl.  It's a great way to expand your collection legally at relatively low cost.  However, the artist doesn't see a dime of used record money.

What hasn't the RIAA cracked down on those communist used record store owners??!!??! Wink
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 12:49
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

This is a great point, as I, too buy a lot of used vinyl.  It's a great way to expand your collection legally at relatively low cost.  However, the artist doesn't see a dime of used record money.

What hasn't the RIAA cracked down on those communist used record store owners??!!??! Wink

A used album has already been paid for by the original owner. The artist will only 'lose' if that person retained a copy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>