Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedyour opinion on illeagaly downloading music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: should it be leagal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [16.67%]
20 [47.62%]
3 [7.14%]
4 [9.52%]
8 [19.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 13:22
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

I buy mostly used vinyls... AND THE ARTISTS GETS NOTHING! Cry But I get a cool vintage artifact, which nobody can share via net. As a crime, file sharing is nothing compared when people get stabbed to the face on the streets. Have you seen it ever happen?

This is a great point, as I, too buy a lot of used vinyl.  It's a great way to expand your collection legally at relatively low cost.  However, the artist doesn't see a dime of used record money.

What hasn't the RIAA cracked down on those communist used record store owners??!!??! Wink

Indeed that's a reason why they're pushing the download stores: Downloaded files can't be sold. I would never buy any tracks as DRM-encrypted files for the same price as the real CD.

But the Napster subscription ... that's an entirely different model, and I can only recommend you all to give it a try.Big smile
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 14:00
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

But the Napster subscription ... that's an entirely different model, and I can only recommend you all to give it a try.Big smile

Are Napster files free of DRM?  I've heard terrible tales about Napster, but I cant say that any of them are true.  I have heard that the files have DRM such that if you stop your subscription and you haven't backed up the files on CD or otherwise, they delete themselves.  I have no idea how this would work, it's just a scary tall tale I've heard.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 14:08
^ maybe the Napster subscription model is too progressive for some people to understand ... Wink

I'll gladly try to explain:

- It costs $10/month.
- You can download most of their catalog as DRM-encrypted 192kbps WMA and listen to the tracks as often as you want.
- Once you cancel the subscription the files simply cannot be played anymore.

Why is this so great? Well, simply because for the price of one CD each month I can listen to a different album each day. Hell, I could listen to 10 new albums a day.Wink

Why is it no problem that the files cannot be played back once the subscription is cancelled? Well, simply because I buy the albums that I really like. So I only use the Napster subscription as an easy, legal and cheap way to listen to new albums extensively before I buy them. I usually buy 10 albums each month, so the extra $10 don't hurt my budget that much, considering that I save much money by being able to listen to the music that much before I decide to buy it.

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 14:13
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Are Napster files free of DRM?  I've heard terrible tales about Napster, but I cant say that any of them are true.  I have heard that the files have DRM such that if you stop your subscription and you haven't backed up the files on CD or otherwise, they delete themselves.  I have no idea how this would work, it's just a scary tall tale I've heard.

As far as I know, it would be highly complicated and costly to program a DRM system like that, and it would probably not pay off for Napster in the long run. As a matter of fact, I seriously doubt that such a system is even possible to make...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 14:16
^ it's really quite simple. A DRM-encrypted file carries a licence, and Windows simply refuses to play the file if the licence says that it has expired. So everytime you play a DRM-encrypted file, the player analyses the licence and - if it is outdated - queries the licence server to find out if the licence has been renewed, or if it has expired.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 14:20
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

As far as I know, it would be highly complicated and costly to program a DRM system like that, and it would probably not pay off for Napster in the long run. As a matter of fact, I seriously doubt that such a system is even possible to make...

Well apparently they have.  Confused

I dont know, Mike....   The Napster deal sounds sort of enticing on the surface, but I just can't shake my (paranoid?) fear of DRM.  I, too eventually buy the CDs of the albums I like, but until then the files I rip from others or from CD's in the radio library are unencumbered by magical digital voodoo.  Wink

honestly though, you make a good case for Napster, and I might try it... someday... when I'm sure I'll have a steady $10 in my bank account every monthEmbarrassed
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 15:00
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

In small doses for me. If the album is rare or expensive I'll download it.

Same here. But I usually get the album eventually after that.

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
dralan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 20:18
I think ultimatley it should be left up to the artist to have control over their own music. I think free downloads are a great way for an up and coming artist to get his work heard to a wide audience.
As was mentioned if I like something well enough I prefer to have the CD for my own collection.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 22:33
I don't like downloading at all(legao or illegal) so no wai! It can be good to try something before  purchasing if you're unsure though.
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 23:28
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

I don't like downloading at all(legao or illegal) so no wai! It can be good to try something before  purchasing if you're unsure though.

I agree. There's something that I really love about having the actual CD/vinyl with the casing and artwork and pictures and lyrics and notes and stuff. Downloading a song can't do that for me. It's like an experience. Geek

Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 02:16
Mike, it's interesting to hear about the revised legal Napster. But can one find underground stuff from there? Like ASH RA TEMPEL, RUFUS ZUPHALL, etc. And are all of the files from official releases only?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 02:38
^ of course Napster only offers tracks from official releases. But there are some really rare albums available - it's certainly not only mainstream. For example they have Painkiller - Execution Ground, Mike Keneally - Wooden Smoke, Robert Wyatt (most studio releases), The Residents ... Big smile 
hackett acolyte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 04:23

i find i dont have a problem with people using these things as taste testers, but they have to buy the album aswell, or they are cheating and stealing.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 04:46

^ of course Napster only offers tracks from official releases. But there are some really rare albums available - it's certainly not only mainstream. For example they have Painkiller - Execution Ground, Mike Keneally - Wooden Smoke, Robert Wyatt (most studio releases), The Residents ... Big smile 

OK, thanx for info! Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 07:04
^ no problem! I even created a page on my website today which lists more albums:

http://www.ratingfreak.com/home/albums/napster.xhtml

Big smile
hackett acolyte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 07:18
wow, my first successful thread since my return, im proud.Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 07:40

^ no problem! I even created a page on my website today which lists more albums:

http://www.ratingfreak.com/home/albums/napster.xhtml

Big smile

It's honourable how much effort you put into things you see improtant! As a development hint, the list would be more useful if the material would be in alphabetical order in my opinion. Tongue

How does the material get into Napster v.2, are they from user shares or does the server upkeeper provide them? 

Edited by Eetu Pellonpää - July 26 2006 at 07:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 07:48
^ thanks! Currently the list is sorted by album name, I'll group it by artist later (currently I'm busy with work).

The tracks available through Napster are supplied by the music industry and hosted on servers owned by Napster. It's really got nothing to do with file sharing or P2P anymore.Smile
Dream Theater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 14:32
I hate download music from the Internet.. Angry
[IMG]http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Sacred-Travel/Machu-Picchu-350.jpg"> [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/panchopc1/machupicchu-1.jpg">
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 15:02
Originally posted by hackett acolyte hackett acolyte wrote:

wow, my first successful thread since my return, im proud.[IMG]height=17 alt=Clap src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif" width=18 align=absMiddle>

If you would have done a search you would have seen that this has been debated over and over and over again in the forum,and quite a few of those threads got closed because of arguments and such.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>