Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThoughts on Peter Gabriel Then and Now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on Peter Gabriel Then and Now?
    Posted: July 26 2006 at 17:35
I was just listening to a few PG3 songs and 80's gabriel stuff and thought a few songs are pretty great.  One in particular is Family Snapshot which i think its a beautiful song.

But, as for the Genesis fans here, I am a huge early Genesis fan...with posters surrounding me as I speak, I find watching Gabriel and how he performs today is still pretty enjoyable at times.

But how do you guys feel?  I was watching a performance of snapshot from 86 and it is really emotional and great.

A very different feel from a Genesis performance ofcourse, but still an enjoyable watch.

I cant get into alot of his 80's stuff because I dispise alot of the instrumentation used after 1975.

Any thought on Gabriel then and now?
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 17:42
Once Jill, his ex-wife, watched Peter Gabriel while performing macho Rael in his leather jacket during The Lamb, she cried "I wish he was that macho at home"  .. because Peter Gabriel private was usually a tea drinking vegetarian ...Confused .. Later she betrayed Peter with one person of the road crew, finally they divorced and Peter went into psycho-therapeutical help. But nowadays he's happy Approve and I still enjoy his early Genesis live video/dvd footage, magical and the best progrock ever delivered!
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 17:44
I have only heard Family snapshot here on PA, but i agree it's a great song. I like his vocals on it, in particular. I also listened a lot to UP a while ago, ant i must say that most songs are good to great, with the exception of Growing up, which i like even less after i saw him performing it live (on tv...). I mean, that ball-thingy and.. all that jumping.. nah.
Dalezilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 17:46

Gabriel's solo output is outstanding! Approve

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 17:47
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Once Jill, his ex-wife, watched Peter Gabriel while performing macho Rael in his leather jacket during The Lamb, she cried "I wish he was that macho at home"  .. because Peter Gabriel private was usually a tea drinking vegetarian ...Confused .. Later she betrayed Peter with one person of the road crew, finally they divorced and Peter went into psycho-therapeutical help. But nowadays he's happy Approve and I still enjoy his early Genesis live video/dvd footage, magical and the best progrock ever delivered!
When exactly did the "psycho-therapeutical help"-part take place?
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 17:52
In the late Eighties when Peter his passive-agressive behaviour became a problem, many upper-middle-class UK suffer from that too. A few years ago some famous and successfull were on BBC TV and told in tears that they, despite their success, never had felt happy because of their up-bringing to hide emotions and to show you are superior and do not allow any weakness.
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 18:12

In the late Eighties when Peter his passive-agressive behaviour became a problem, many upper-middle-class UK suffer from that too. A few years ago some famous and successfull were on BBC TV and told in tears that they, despite their success, never had felt happy because of their up-bringing to hide emotions and to show you are superior and do not allow any weakness.
I'm guessing Phil Collins never had that :)
Duncan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 18:21
Quote I cant get into alot of his 80's stuff because I dispise alot of the instrumentation used after 1975.

Learn not to, because you're missing out. (And in regards to said instrumentation and technology, PG was pretty damn cutting edge.)

Quote ... up-bringing to hide emotions and to show you are superior and do not allow any weakness...

Wasn't this a PG lyrical theme as early as Here Comes the Flood (and the rest of the Mozo stuff)?
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 20:37
Hahaha...dont think I can train my ears to enjoy that.  Plenty would agree, and it is a matter of opinion, but there is a distinct sound tied in with most late 60's early 70's prog music, including the drumming, synth, guitar, and whatever else you want to throw in.  I love it, always.

But then the 80's came and ruined almost every band i love.

But like i said i enjoy a few of the gabriel things i have seen, but just viewing your video and seeing the shoick the monkey video makes me cringe in discontempt.  cant egt into it.
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 21:05
Thats unfortunate because you are denying yourself some great music.PG was one of the first artists to embrace the world music sounds.He introduced some great percussion sounds and the wonderful singer Yousou N'dour for example.By the way PG is a diagnosed bi-polar sufferer.To really experience his world music composing I would recommend his album "Passion" which was the soundtrack to The last temptation of christ movie.Brilliant.
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 21:57

Aha...mmm, well thanks you throwing some E! into the forum...LOLLOLLOLLOL
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Liquid Len View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 12:43
LOVE his 1st and 2nd albums then nothing does much for me until Us and Up, which are also brilliant.
I know I must be wrong (cos everybody raves about it) but he lost me on 3.
Can you tell me where my country lies?
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 12:56
The guy has been pushing musical boundaries for over 30 years. One of the most important and influential artists in modern music! Top drawer!
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 14:08
It's hard for me to name that many artists who have kept the quality of their work at such a high level for so many decades like Peter has.  He has stayed true to himself all the way through.  I recently re-viewed a concert that aired on the Disney Channel from his "US" tour in the late 80s and it still holds up extremely well.  He is one of a kind and we have been fortunate to have had his music enlighten us for so long.  I hope someday to see him in person.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
mgallard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 14:25
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

It's hard for me to name that many artists who have kept the quality of their work at such a high level for so many decades like Peter has.

Gabriel is one, Hackett another... hard to think of others...

Mogens
____VdGG____ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 15:07
Of his solo material, I only have III, So, Us, and Up, but I must say that Us and particularily Up are absolutely stunning albums. Us is almost world music at times featuring Manu Katche on percussion and is an album about relationships according to the liner notes. It has a lot of beautiful songs, but a couple of turds (Namely Steam) IMO, the best song on it is Only Us (with TL putting his very magical touch of gold on bass)
Up is just as beautiful, but in a different way. It is his best album and also almost stands up to his 70's era Genesis periood (but not quite) The best songs on it for me are Darkness, My Head Sounds Like That, Signal To Noise, and The Drop (the latter being the most beautiful song PG has ever written)
PG as an artist has covered a massive range of sounds and styles and kept the quality up throughout 4 decades
Iron throated monsters are forcing the screams;
Mind and machinery box-press our dreams
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 13:12
   Peter Gabriel is an amazing musician, inspired and most important a non-comformist. The P. Gabriel era Genesis was genious (still is because people still enjoy and love the music). What else can I say? Gabriel is an artist thet never disappointed me, I love his music which is always a challenge to the one who listens.The 1969-1974 works of genesis are timeless.

Edited by Cristi - August 01 2006 at 13:14
Mongo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 23:42
A true artist.
"The options are ever fewer on the ground these days" Fish
rushfan6588 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 23:47
if youre looking to discover what all peter has to offer i suggest the Hit compellation...gives a solid overview of his career not only from a comercially sucessful standpoint but also songs that he personally selected as favorites
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 23:57
Peter Gabriel took the necessary step to avoid finding himself doing the same thing over and over again. I respect that, since a true artist is always questioning the meaning of Art. On the other hand, mr. Banks...
¡Beware of the Bee!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>