Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollage vs. Satellite

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [21.74%]
10 [43.48%]
7 [30.43%]
1 [4.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collage vs. Satellite
    Posted: July 29 2006 at 08:21
Really getting into some of the Polish bands lately. Riverside on the more metal side, and Collage and Satellite on the neo side. Good stuff over there.

On the neo progressive side, which band do you prefer and why? I used to prefer Collage; however, Satellite's two discs are absolutely stunning. Just have to go with Satellite.

E    
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 08:26
They are similar - basically same group, what else can we expect. However Collage is fresh and "original" neo, while Satellite is more boring usual cheesy too polished neo.
My vote goes to Collage without silghtest hesitation.

carefulwiththataxe
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 13:23
Collage, but I don't like either band a whole lot.
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 13:51
Satellite. I have their first album "A Street..." and itīs really comforting in a strange way.  Amazing band!
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 18:22
I can't separate them actually. They are similar as both use the same band members and the songwriting is continuous from one band to the other. I voted I like them equally. I own both Satellite albums, and Moonshine and Safe by Collage. If I had to choose my overall favourite album of the four, I would probably go with Evening Games, but all four are excellent. Too close to call really.Clap Along with Pendragon, these are my favourite neo-prog bands.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 18:53
I think they're really similar, Satellite inheriting the best of Collage's sense of beauty and melodic flavour. So far, Satelllite's discography has been more consistent in terms of quality and rgularity than Collage's, but they're yet to create an album as amazingly mgical as "Moonshine". They might, someday...
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 21:08
I have both Satellite Cd`s  and I think they are great !  I havent yet managed to get my hands on Collage but I will soon !   Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 02:34
I have Evening Games, and I just don't really like it. I keep hear people praising Satellite, but I just find them artificial. Marillion may be subdued and often introspective, but at least they don't process the hell out of their instruments. I like an organic feel to my music, and that is just basically what Satellite is not.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 10:25
I watched the live DVD Evening Dreams last night and am a bit underwhelmed. You see bands like Marillion and Dream Theater and they know how to perform. Satellite just seems so lifeless on stage.

And why in the world do they perform "Evening Games" twice??!! I'll give it another try, but it's just not a very dynamic performance.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 10:26
<<I have both Satellite Cd`s and I think they are great ! I havent yet managed to get my hands on Collage but I will soon !>>

Masque, I only have Moonshine and Safe. Good discs, with Moonshine being a bit better than Safe. They're worth having, however.

E
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 07:24
I voted similar and "like" but I really mean "like" because they are not too similar.
Of course there are resemblances because some bandmembers are the same but I feel there is quite some distinction.  Although it's hard to discribe. It's mainly the sound that's different. I think Moonshine was somewhat rougher and more bombastic than the two Satellite albums. On the other hand Moonshine also contained some romantic songs and so do the Satellite albums. So it's not easy to define the differences.

At least I can say they are both splendid bands, real assests to neo prog and two of the finest around.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 08:11
agree with Eugene and Stoney here - COLLAGE by a million miles margin. Give me another mindblowing album like "Moonashine" was to me, and I'll give away to you my house

Woitek is awesome drummer and gifted writer, and I miss his talents on SATELLITE where drumming is plain boring and songwriting is predictable not to say primitive. 3-star level AT MAX for me, sorry
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 07:32
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

I think they're really similar, Satellite inheriting the best of Collage's sense of beauty and melodic flavour. So far, Satelllite's discography has been more consistent in terms of quality and rgularity than Collage's, but they're yet to create an album as amazingly magical as "Moonshine". They might, someday...

I had forgotten about this poll!! Well, I created another one, with only tow options: C or S.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 07:49
I've gone for Satellite by a narrow margin....
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 10:15
Satellite for me... by a nostril.
Guigo

~~~~~~
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 18:37
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Collage, but I don't like either band a whole lot.

Bullsh*t! I'm a liar. I changed my vote to Satellite for being more consistent, although nothing surpasses Moonshine.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 13:43
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

agree with Eugene and Stoney here - COLLAGE by a million miles margin. Give me another mindblowing album like "Moonashine" was to me, and I'll give away to you my house

I agree that Moonshine is mindblowing and simply gorgeous, and since I heard it, only about 2 years ago, I have been seeking anything that could be construed as in the style of this melodic emotional masterpiece.  The closest I have come is the 3 clepsydra albums - "More Grains of Sand", "Fears" and "Alone".  Any other suggestions!  I love Satellite but to me it is not really the same style - it's somewhat colder and darker.  but satellite has been more consistent and prolific than collage.

Ken

Edited by kenethlevine - December 26 2007 at 13:43
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 18:08
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Really getting into some of the Polish bands lately. Riverside on the more metal side, and Collage and Satellite on the neo side. Good stuff over there.

On the neo progressive side, which band do you prefer and why? I used to prefer Collage; however, Satellite's two discs are absolutely stunning. Just have to go with Satellite.

E    

I go with Satellite as well; it's a little bit more adventurous and inspired than Collage, for me at least.
 Post Reply Post Reply