Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAviv Geffen

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you want this artist at progarchives.com?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [33.33%]
2 [66.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aviv Geffen
    Posted: August 02 2006 at 18:30
My reasons:
o Beacuse he is a memeber in Blackfield which is by definition a prog-related band.
o Some of his albums are also prog realted in a way (such as "Hollowed")
o and also beacuse I believe there is a need for more israeli prog artists

Biography:
Aviv was born on the 10th of May 1973 in Tel Hashomer hospital, Tel Aviv. Coming from a well known family( his father Yonatan is perhaps one of the most important poets in Israel, and other family members include Ezer Weizman and Moshe Dayan.) anything he did would be classed as controversial. At the age of 8 he wrote his first song, taught himself to play six instruments, and devoted himself to music rather than to school.( He left after the eighth grade) He and his band The Mistakes stood out immediately against the Israeli pop mainstream. They were politically radical, and Aviv was visually distinctive with his costumes and make-up when compared with the usual jeans and T-shirts worn by most performers at the time. Musically he was influenced by British and American artists of the 60s who saw music as an instrument of social revolution, such as Bob Dylan, and The Beatles. He advocated conscientious objection.(His controversial and well publicised failure to serve in the IDF was based on these ideals, rather than health problems-He has a 20 cm metal rod in his spine) His first album It's Only The Moonlight was released in 1991 when he was 18 and instantly became a hit. His songs are poignant and beautiful, dealing with love, loneliness, alcohol, drugs, peace, in addition to problems within society in general. On 4th November 1995 at the peace rally in Tel Aviv he became the last person to embrace Yitzhak Rabin after singing his song I Cry For You after this he became a national peace symbol for Israel's youth. As time has gone on he may not be the angry young man that he once was, his songs have taken on a mellower quality, but the same messages are expressed, the world could be changed for the better if people continue to hope, and believe in peace and love.

Aviv's myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=50367704
"I'm on a roll, I'm on a roll this time, I feel my luck could change.. "
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 19:30

Only becuase he is part of Blackfield and that some of the songs on the album are his, I would consider him for Prog-related.

Yes, he has some proggish songs (not albums) which would make them prog-related, but not more than that.

If you are so keen on Israeli bands to be added here, we have more obvious ones (in prog or prog-related):
Sheshet
Hot Fur (Parva Chama) - will be added by the RIO Team, but you are welcome to provide a bio which will be credited to you.
Ktsat Acheret
Jericho
Artland
Rockfour (which You have suggested previously)
Kruzenshtern & Parohod -  I will probably add them at one point to RIO/Avant

There are more, but I can't recall right now.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 19:33
Anyway, if you want to add him to prog-related I can add him in your name, I can use the bio you wrote above and please send me a complete discography.
Thanks

Assaf
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 15:52
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 16:02