Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed10 cc in PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 cc in PA
    Posted: August 03 2006 at 15:27
So 10cc is in PA (I remember Maani asking for that)
What is the best (more prog, if you want) of 10cc for you?
If you want to, tell us why you consider (or don't) 10cc prog-related.
Let the sunshine in
sm sm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 15:31
Perhaps when doing reviews of such albums put e.g. ***** for album content and e.g. ** for prog content.

That should apply to 10cc'a  later "things we do for love" type material
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 15:36
I feel 'The Original Soundtrack' is an album right up there with anything Queen recorded- clever, musically quite ornate and intricate, lyrically often wry and amusing, first class production but with a pop sensibility that will ultimately put die-hard proggers off them. Still though, their first few albums are great for the open minded prog fan, and IMO definitely prog related if ever there was a band that could be called that. 'How Dare You' is a more musically developed album but some of their quirkiness is sacrificed a little at times on that, imo. Still a great album though.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 15:45
Never heard the remotest prog in anything 10CC did - they are just well written, intelligent pop.
Ounamahl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 16:25
10cc here?.... I don't like reggae, uh, I love it...... ok 10cc IMO has nothing to do with prog =)
This is an electrified fairytale
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 16:33

I'd put them in the same category as Supertramp.  Up through "How Dare You" they were art-rock on the edge of prog.

Now Godley & Creme's first three, "Cosequences", "L" and "Freeze Frame" are definitely prog.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 02:24
Growing up as a teenager and nashing my teeth at yet another radio play of 'I'm Not In Love' I'm not sure I would of thought they were 'related' to ELP,Yes and Genesis.Confused
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 03:09
I'd say Original Soundtrack and How dare you are their proggier effort

Not any less proggy than Queen: this is why they are in the Prog-related category
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 04:11

Edited by Yukorin - September 14 2006 at 03:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 04:17
Originally posted by Yukorin Yukorin wrote:

Prog-related is such a pointless category. Reads like a whos-who of stadium rock. Even the severed greenfly currently dying a slow, painful, and ultimately pointless death on my desk who I will soon put out of its' misery by impaling it with my lit cigarette is fully aware of everything in prog-related.

Why no Bedjabetch ? Yog Sothoth ? Forever Einstein ? Resonance 2 ? Metabolist ? And for the love of God: No Eider Stellaire ? ! ? !

was only recently that The Mighty Xaal were added. Yes folks, The Mighty Xaal.

Jab

I agree that there are still some glaring omission on this site!

I am the one who included Xaal

I am working on Forever Einstein : currently waiting for Charles OMeara to communicate me the info and provide us with an intro and maybe samples.

Rome was not built in one day
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 04:21

Edited by Yukorin - September 14 2006 at 03:07
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 04:23

Edited by Yukorin - September 14 2006 at 03:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 04:29
I do not know of Eider Stellaire, so I will not include it myself

BUT

You can submit their candidacy on the suggest a band for admission.

The best bet is:

to provide a link and short historic of the artist including eventually a discography
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 09:32
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

I'd put them in the same category as Supertramp.  Up through "How Dare You" they were art-rock on the edge of prog.

Now Godley & Creme's first three, "Cosequences", "L" and "Freeze Frame" are definitely prog.

I agree, but 10cc never had their Crime Of The Century to solidify their status.

Original Soundtrack is a good place to start. Very arsty and with the epic "One Night In Paris"
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 15:52
As the person who fought for the inclusion of 10CC longest and hardest, I would like to weigh in here.

It is important to note that I did not fight for their inclusion because I thought they were "prog."  I fought for their inclusion because they are no less "prog" than Supertramp, Queen or Klaatu.  Thus, my argument - which can be found in numerous older threads - was that, if you are going to include Supertramp and Queen (among others) on the site, then 10CC's omission is arbitrary and capricious.

That said, I have never considered Supertramp "prog."  True, parts of Crime of the Century (and Even...) are "proggish," and there is a "concept" involved.  But to my mind, simply having a concept and "toeing the line" of prog does not make one "prog."  Indeed, I would argue that "Hide In Your Shell" - among Supertramp's most amazing, proggy songs - is far less proggish than 10CC's "One Night in Paris."

As for Queen, I fought as hard for their exclusion as I did for 10CC's inclusion, for the same reason: because despite occasional "cutting edge" proggish tracks like Bohemian Rhapsody, Prophet's Song and a handful of others, to my mind there is more to "prog" than simply having songs influenced by other genres, having admittedly exquisite harmonies and arrangements, and using numerous studio tricks.  (And no, I do not consider Queen 2 "prog" as a whole.)

Given that Supertramp and Klaatu were not about to be ejected, and especially given the even later inclusion of Queen (i.e., the 10CC debate preceded the Queen debate, and ultimate inclusion), I believe 10CC has as much right to be here as those three groups.  Indeed, Supertramp and 10CC were contemporaries who were not only close friends, but were constantly influencing each other, and have very similar sounds and approaches.  And Klaatu, in their first interview, stated that 10CC and Supertramp were two of their main influences.  (Indeed, Klaatu's debut album did not come out until 1976, at which point 10CC had put out their first four albums and Supertramp had put out their first five.)  So how can one justify including both Supertramp and Klaatu without including 10CC?  That was my original argument, and I maintain it.

As for 10CC's claims to "proggishness," let me make another point.

One of the arguments made for Queen's proggishness is the number of genre influences they use: from classical to jazz, from dance hall to vaudeville, etc.  If that is one criteria for proggishness, then 10CC can claim this right out the box.  The very first song on their first album, Johnny Don't Do It, is not simply an homage to the 50s, but a spectacularly brilliant homage to the 50s.  It begins with one of the most proggy guitar effects one can imagine (Eric Stewart being the most underrated and under-appreciated guitarist in rock), and has an arrangement that is no more or less "proggish" than many of the "homage" songs by Queen: if "Seaside Rendezvous" and "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" are proggish, so is "Johnny Don't Do It."

But even though 10CC can make claims of proggishness similar to Supertramp and Queen right from their debut album, it was with their sophomore album, Sheet Music, that they found their quasi-prog "niche" - which, as stated, is not "prog" as we all tend to define it (except broadly) - which they honed to frightening perfection on The Original Soundtrack and How Dare You.  And after the departure of Lol Creme and Kevin Godley (and why are they not here?), and the slightly weaker Deceptive Bends (which nevertheless has some amazing stuff), they returned to form on Bloody Tourists.  [N.B.  Now that 10CC has finally been included, I will be doing a complete series of reviews of their entire oeuvre.]

Finally, I believe that rather than classifying Queen and 10CC as "prog-related" and Supertramp as "art rock," all three groups should be categorized as "art rock," since they all came out of the same background - art school (which is where the term derives from: musicians who attended art schools in the 1960s and 70s) - and all have basically similar sounds and approaches vis-a-vis arrangement and production, especially re harmonies.

Peace.

Edited by maani - August 04 2006 at 15:59
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 16:05
Maani: Clap
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 16:32
Evolver:

Thanks for the support.  Embarrassed

Peace.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 17:00

Edited by Yukorin - September 14 2006 at 06:00
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 17:03
Many thanks Maani for your work in including 10cc on PA - i was even inspired to get off my lazy a**e and write some reviews!!Thumbs Up ...hope you like 'em!

Edited by mystic fred - August 04 2006 at 17:03
Prog Archives Tour Van
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 17:17
I just wrote my review about 10CC their captivating album The Original Soundtrack and then discovered this thread, good to read those mixed comments Wink !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>