Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed10 cc in PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 18:53
I too am pleased 10cc are at last in PA. In the early '70s they were probably my favourite band, certainly from around '72 - '74, when my interest in Genesis and Yes and Floyd put them ahead.
Always loved the intelligent, witty lyrics, superb production, and beautiful harmonies of 10cc.
All four musicians could write, play, and sing. They all knew each other well long before the formation of 10cc, were session musicians, had appeared in the charts as Hotlegs with Neanderthal Man (Godly, Creme and Stewart anyway) and had had a successful album released as that group, with appearances from Gouldman as well.
I always preferred them to Queen (even though I enjoyed the early Queen period) and agree wholeheartedly that they belong in the art rock genre.
Sheet Music is probably my fave album, but The Original Soundtrack runs it close. Deceptive Bends, How Dare You, the self titled debut and Bloody Tourists were, and are, all fine albums.
All in all, they are a fitting addition to this site.
ClapClapClapStar
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 18:57

Edited by Yukorin - September 14 2006 at 05:59
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 05:30

What the peacher said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>>>> Clap

Cannot believe this old heathen just said!!!!!!!!!!ShockedEmbarrassedConfusedWink

Edited by Sean Trane - August 05 2006 at 05:31
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 12:30
The only reason I'm in this thread is to point out that the bio is continuing to perpetuate the common myth about the origin of the name 10cc.

Producer Jonathan King gave the band its name, which he says came to him in a dream.  From an interview:

"I started my own label in the early seventies called UK Records, and I picked up this master called 'Donna' by this group that was put together by a guy that I knew...  I had to give them a name there and then because I'd signed the record, and I went to sleep that night and had a dream that a band of mine on my label made number one on the album and singles charts simultaneously in America, and the band was called 10cc.  So I gave them that name the next morning.  Everybody then decided that this was apparently meant to be the amount of an average male ejaculation.  Which was absolutely far from the truth; it had not been a wet dream, I can promise."  (from Rock Names by Adam Dolgins)

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 13:04
Zappaholic:

Do you believe everything that you read in interviews?  LOL.  As perhaps the biggest 10CC aficionado (and historian) on the site, I can assure you that the meaning of 10CC's name is not an urban legend.  As an aside, their previous name - Hotlegs - did not come (...) out of nowhere either.  The members of the band had been playing with subtle (and not so subtle...) sexual references and double entendres for some time even before King became their manager.

All that said, there is one error in the meaning of the name.  While it does refer to semen, the average sperm count is 5cc's, not 10.  So the name does not refer to "one more cc than the average sperm count," but to masturbating (or having sex) twice.

Peace.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 04:07
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Zappaholic:

Do you believe everything that you read in interviews?  LOL.  As perhaps the biggest 10CC aficionado (and historian) on the site, I can assure you that the meaning of 10CC's name is not an urban legend.  As an aside, their previous name - Hotlegs - did not come (...) out of nowhere either.  The members of the band had been playing with subtle (and not so subtle...) sexual references and double entendres for some time even before King became their manager.

All that said, there is one error in the meaning of the name.  While it does refer to semen, the average sperm count is 5cc's, not 10.  So the name does not refer to "one more cc than the average sperm count," but to masturbating (or having sex) twice.

Peace.

Wow that makes my 15 CC even more out of norm >>> feel like a freakLOLClown
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12