Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zep!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 15:12
Originally posted by Kleynan Kleynan wrote:

If Zeppelin were added, so should green Day. Just check their song "Jesus of Suburbia"... ... ... So no! Zeppelin should not be added IMO.

Uffffff   Green Day?   Bad Joke Thumbs Down !!!!!

Have you ever listened Led Zep?

Cool, i agree with people whose suggest prog hard rock...it's something real

It's a hard fight against the bias toward DP... a less creative band (OK some albums are good!) Censored

Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 15:25
Oh please the main influence on Led Zeps music is, as anyone can hear, THE BLUES, WILLIE DIXON, et al.....

"Prog Hard Rock with Blues in it"???!!!!
Uther View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 19:41
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I have deep reservations about Led Zeppelin's inclusion. 'In The Light', 'Rain Song' and 'No Quarter', maybe 'Ten Years Gone', are perhaps prog related tracks, but this is in a distinct minority. At least Deep Purple started out as basically the UK version of Vanilla Fudge , and were quite early in doing the much maligned rock orchestra project. Uriah Heep's early albums are all prog rock albums- you can't really fail to hear the prog in their first 4 albums, imho.

I do however support the 'hard/heavy prog' section alongside Sean. Not to just throw in heavy rock bands such as Zep et al. that flirted with prog occasionally, but a good resting place for the bands that are already here like Heep, Purple, Rooster, Warhorse, Quatermass et al. 'Art rock' where all these bands are is a bit of a dumping ground for bands that don't fit the clearer cut genres, imo.

Phisycal graffiti (X2), House of the holy and led zep IV can be entirely prog albums, a kind of prog that mix folk and  rock and some ethnic elements.
OK, in the first 2 albums you can say " ow no mostly blues rock... no apply..." but since the third we can find something interesting.  If we read the prog definition on this site we'll be close to agree.
But the worst issue i read was about Vanilla Fudge. Come on! Vanilla is better ever than DP....light years. The best album of DP is the first, well the early records Censored

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 19:44
Originally posted by Uther Uther wrote:

I have deep reservations about Led Zeppelin's inclusion. 'In The Light', 'Rain Song' and 'No Quarter', maybe 'Ten Years Gone', are perhaps prog related tracks, but this is in a distinct minority. At least Deep Purple started out as basically the UK version of Vanilla Fudge , and were quite early in doing the much maligned rock orchestra project. Uriah Heep's early albums are all prog rock albums- you can't really fail to hear the prog in their first 4 albums, imho.

I do however support the 'hard/heavy prog' section alongside Sean. Not to just throw in heavy rock bands such as Zep et al. that flirted with prog occasionally, but a good resting place for the bands that are already here like Heep, Purple, Rooster, Warhorse, Quatermass et al. 'Art rock' where all these bands are is a bit of a dumping ground for bands that don't fit the clearer cut genres, imo.

Phisycal graffiti (X2), House of the holy and led zep IV can be entirely prog albums, a kind of prog that mix folk and  rock and some ethnic elements.

OK, in the first 2 albums you can say " ow no mostly blues rock... no apply..." but since the third we can find something interesting.  If we read the prog definition on this site we'll be close to agree.

But the worst issue i read was about Vanilla Fudge. Come on! Vanilla is better ever than DP....light years. The best album of DP is the first, well the early records [IMG]height=17 alt=Censored src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley35.gif" width=34 align=absMiddle>

You have any other interests other than promoting Led Zep as a Prog Band.
I have an idea,why not contact the band and ask them if they consider themselves to be a Prog Rock band?

Remember though that Jimmmy practices the Dark Arts...
Uther View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 19:52
Bad joke man

If you feel angry with a common comment please try to keep yourself  quiet
It's only a topic
Don't be rude Censored
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 19:53
Forum Admin & Moderator
crimson thing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 10:56
Actually, Tony, I've just finished Keith Shadwick's tome...er, I mean coffee table book...on Led Zeppelin ("The story of a band and their music").....and I made a mental note of a quote by Page that (at one point) at least, they did consider themselves to be proggy......shame I didn't follow up the mental note with a yellow post-it sticker, but I'm not wading through...er, I mean reading the book again to find it....Wink

FWIW, I reckon Zep should be here; they're more inventive than most bands, used funny instruments (including the Holy Mellotron, and Lol Creme's "gizmotron"), were different from the vast majority of their contemporaries, produced music influenced by a wide variety of styles (blues, yes, but also folk, rock, jazz & even a bit of country), and had a sense of humour to boot....and I've never understood why blues influences per se should debar a band from PA....Geek

To be fair, Shadwick's book is actually very informative, although admittedly heavy going with lots of dense text. My biggest criticism would be that, although published in 2005, it stops abruptly at the moment of Bonham's death (this is deliberate & justified by the author as solely a book about the band). Nevertheless, I'd like to have seen how Shadwick saw Plant, Page & Jones's subsequent careers as compared to Zep's. 

And how come JPJ's solo stuff isn't listed here? I'd have thought albums such as Zooma would tick most of the boxes for inclusion?
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 11:56
Originally posted by Uther Uther wrote:

But the worst issue i read was about Vanilla Fudge. Come on! Vanilla is better ever than DP....light years. The best album of DP is the first, well the early records Censored

For the record, where did I say that Deep Purple's early work was 'better' than Vanilla Fudge??ConfusedDead It's very similar to the point that members of Deep Purple have admitted their influence derived heavily from Fudge...
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 05:55
I think Led Zep are prog IMO they complete the Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson arc of the 1970s british prog acts

Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 17:37
I have a personal vendetta to keep Led Zeppelin out of the archives
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 11:20
Led Zeppelin is not Prog. Simple as that. They have a couple of Prog tracks, but not enough to get them included. 
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 08:01
personally i'd love to see LZ on PA....... but only with everybody's full support ! really too controversial at the moment.

Prog Archives Tour Van
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 08:08
Weren't they rejected already? Ermm I wouldn't need them here.

Should the list of rejected bands be nailed on the top of this zone?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 11:20
We're awaiting a decision on LZ from M@x.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 15:38

M@x has confirmed that Led Zeppelin are approved for addition. They must be classified as Prog related.

Now which of the proposers is going to do it?!

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 15:44
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

Weren't they rejected already? Ermm I wouldn't need them here.

Should the list of rejected bands be nailed on the top of this zone?

Seems that list is not worth the screen its emitting from!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 16:06
This is simply M@x confirming his decision announced over a year ago.
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 23:38
I say nay. I'm a big fan of Zeppelin, but I would never in a blink of an eye consider them prog related. Sure they've had their moments here and there, but the "if group A is here, then why not group B?" argument is getting terribly dire at this point and an addition like this would only lead to the calling of even less prog related groups. I mean, we could make a case for Sabbath because Rick Wakeman was on one of their albums!

We shouldn't really be focusing on Prog Related groups, anyway. Look at the title of this website, progarchives, we should really be concerned with Progressive Rock and not groups that aren't really even progressive at all. I could make a strong case for The Who to be on this site, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's best for me to get into a controversial addition solely because we seem to focus too much these days on groups that aren't really progressive at all and not new, exciting, unknown groups that deserve more right of inclusion than others.

The Iron Maiden addition is more tolerable than others because Maiden do (IMO) have some progressive tinges in their material (tell me Rime of the Ancient Mariner isn't prog), but you have to really ask yourself, are Led Zeppelin really even that progressive? Not really, in my opinion, and obviously in the opinions of many other members.

You could make an argument for John Paul Jones as a solo artist to be here, though, as his solo material is leaps and bounds more progressive than Led Zeppelin ever was.

Let's focus our efforts on prog groups, people, not groups that aren't prog (or should be in prog related).
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 05:43
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

...we could make a case for Sabbath because Rick Wakeman was on one of their albums!

In my opinion their first album and "Sabotage" make them more worth to add than Rick's contribution.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 06:53
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

I say nay. I'm a big fan of Zeppelin, but I would never in a blink of an eye consider them prog related. Sure they've had their moments here and there, but the "if group A is here, then why not group B?" argument is getting terribly dire at this point and an addition like this would only lead to the calling of even less prog related groups. I mean, we could make a case for Sabbath because Rick Wakeman was on one of their albums!

We shouldn't really be focusing on Prog Related groups, anyway. Look at the title of this website, progarchives, we should really be concerned with Progressive Rock and not groups that aren't really even progressive at all. I could make a strong case for The Who to be on this site, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's best for me to get into a controversial addition solely because we seem to focus too much these days on groups that aren't really progressive at all and not new, exciting, unknown groups that deserve more right of inclusion than others.

The Iron Maiden addition is more tolerable than others because Maiden do (IMO) have some progressive tinges in their material (tell me Rime of the Ancient Mariner isn't prog), but you have to really ask yourself, are Led Zeppelin really even that progressive? Not really, in my opinion, and obviously in the opinions of many other members.

You could make an argument for John Paul Jones as a solo artist to be here, though, as his solo material is leaps and bounds more progressive than Led Zeppelin ever was.

Let's focus our efforts on prog groups, people, not groups that aren't prog (or should be in prog related).

Clap I agree with this 100 % ..

Edited by Jimbo - October 19 2006 at 06:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>