Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zep!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 03:46
someone explain to me: why can led zeppelin be added to progarchives and underworld cannot? i believe it's because they're more popular. that's it. 
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 04:48
I don't remember Underworld ever being proposed.

Why not start a new thread in this section suggesting them, and see what the reaction is like.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 04:59
Originally posted by bryantm3 bryantm3 wrote:

someone explain to me: why can led zeppelin be added to progarchives and underworld cannot? i believe it's because they're more popular. that's it. 

Led Zep added to PA ?????news to me!Confused

bryantm3 -

if you have knowledge of Underworld and exactly why they have a strong case to be included any further info would be well appreciated!Smile 

if anyone believes a band they know about has been missed (a recording group with a discography)  tell us why!

Prog Archives Tour Van
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 11:30
Originally posted by crimson thing crimson thing wrote:

Actually, Tony, I've just finished Keith Shadwick's tome...er, I mean coffee table book...on Led Zeppelin ("The story of a band and their music").....and I made a mental note of a quote by Page that (at one point) at least, they did consider themselves to be proggy......shame I didn't follow up the mental note with a yellow post-it sticker, but I'm not wading through...er, I mean reading the book again to find it....Wink

FWIW, I reckon Zep should be here; they're more inventive than most bands, used funny instruments (including the Holy Mellotron, and Lol Creme's "gizmotron"), were different from the vast majority of their contemporaries, produced music influenced by a wide variety of styles (blues, yes, but also folk, rock, jazz & even a bit of country), and had a sense of humour to boot....and I've never understood why blues influences per se should debar a band from PA....Geek

To be fair, Shadwick's book is actually very informative, although admittedly heavy going with lots of dense text. My biggest criticism would be that, although published in 2005, it stops abruptly at the moment of Bonham's death (this is deliberate & justified by the author as solely a book about the band). Nevertheless, I'd like to have seen how Shadwick saw Plant, Page & Jones's subsequent careers as compared to Zep's. 

And how come JPJ's solo stuff isn't listed here? I'd have thought albums such as Zooma would tick most of the boxes for inclusion?

Yes, John was actually the most talented of the band, but that's my opinion... He said once that King Crimson was having an influence on him and, although I haven't yet heard his solo projects I bet they are more progressive than Led Zeppelin.

This is the way I see Led Zep... a very ordinary rock 'n roll band most likely to have pioneered heavy metal, and which on occasions would compose some weird folksy music or fusions with ethnic music... a bit of keyboards here and there.... But I think we're missing something here: ethnic elements, as opposed to academic, does not a progressive band make, and even when we have "prog folk", Jethro Tull was not mainly just folk with rock and blues, they also included academic attributes to their music, either jazz and classical, so there's more to it than just the idea of including a zithar or a banjo on a rock album; therefore I think they shouldn't be included but in prog-related perhaps, but nothing more.
Jesus Gabriel
bryantm3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 11:53
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Led Zep added to PA ?????news to me!Confused

bryantm3 -

if you have knowledge of Underworld and exactly why they have a strong case to be included any further info would be well appreciated!Smile 

if anyone believes a band they know about has been missed (a recording group with a discography)  tell us why!

i did submit them, look lower on the forums. apparently they're too 'dance like' to be progressive. if led zeppelin isn't too 'rock like' to be progressive, why is UW too 'dance like'? brian eno and kraftwork are on this website!

Edited by bryantm3 - October 26 2006 at 11:55
Uther View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 22:16

Hi to everyone

Well, a lot of things happened when i was out. I read Led Zep were added.

we overcame!  ClapClapTongue

Thanx to all the people whose supported this addition & the adm staff for the patience LOL

see ya!
What! can the devil speak true?
Macbeth, 1. 3
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2007 at 00:30
Since they have been added I think this thread can be closed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234