Topic ClosedIron Maiden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Maiden
    Posted: August 07 2006 at 12:29
   Iron Maiden is my favourite heavy metal band. I'm kind of an  Iron Maiden completionist because this band never disappointed me. I like even the albums many other Maiden fans I know seem to dislike. An example would be the Blaze Bailey era albums (The X Factor and Virtual XI). I like the two albums (The Angel & the Gambler was indeed too long). Maybe (again) you've discussed this topic, but I'd like to know what do you think of these two albums.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 13:15
I grew up listening to Iron Maiden,and was listening to their debut at a time when if you talked about it,the response you inevitably got was...Iron who?????????

I like the DiAnno albums for obvious sentimental reasons,and really dig their output up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

I detest the Bailey albums,the chemistry was just all wrong.

Favorite IM albums for me are Killers,Piece of Mind and Powerslave.

I do think their newer albums since re-uniting with Bruce are pretty good too.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 13:45
   Well, sorry I am younger,  but... nevermind
reality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 16:55
X factor is a solid album and I realy liked it after a few listens (which is rare, because I usauly know exactly what I like). It dissapointed me at first... Let me relive that moment: My brother and I were sitting at my house and he pulled out a brand new copy of X factor, I was ready to hear how Blayze would sound with maiden (I had a couple of wolfsbane albums which he was pretty good). Sign of the cross came on and we sat in amazment, "wow this song rocks" and it fit blayzes vocals perfectly (still one of the best songs they ever did and now its with bruce). Then the rest of the songs came on "wow Blayze stinks" but the songs are pretty good. If I heard those songs first it might of been different. Anyway I got used to it and now I accept it as I should. Its a dark and bass heavy work that holds up well, though below the brilliance of the peak albums. Virtual XI is pretty weak in many areas (compared to other maiden albums) and I was getting tired of Blayze (though strangely enough I loved him on the last song about the Falkland islands war). But I like it because its Maiden. I do not think I will ever dislike anything they will ever do because I like them, and I enjoy how they play and how they think and the Maiden sound they put out. I do not say this as a fanboy but people are too disloyal to bands they once liked. I think its just ego and a sense of entitlement with being a self proffessed critic. it is a shame that people listen to music so superficialy.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 17:09
Iron Maiden= muyCool

They basically brought me into the whole metal genre (before seeing them I had this misconception that the lot of metal was either "death metal" or "numetal") and I still love their stuff, new album in December I believe, hopefully they'll tour the States again!

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 17:19
The X Factor has some good moments, however, mediocre
Virtual XI is far worse (uninspired)

Edited by aapatsos - August 07 2006 at 17:19
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 17:55
I'd say they were my favourite metal band of all too. What is hugely inspiring about them is that Steve Harris has never sold out, ever, making him fairly unique amongst metal musicians. It's something he's rightly given credit for a fair bit in the rock press.
I didn't like 'The X Factor' at all- Steve himself says it's one of the best albums he worked on, but I don't get it. Bayley's vocals are all wrong for Iron Maiden; although Di'anno's singing is far rougher than Dickinson's, Di'anno was perfect for the material they were doing at that point (as he often says in interviews...). However, Steve Harris' writing moved on and matured somewhat ('Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter' aside) from the punkier, rawer Di'anno years. Bayley's voice just wasn't dramatic or elaborate enough to handle it, imo. I never did feel the urge to bother with 'Virtual XI'.

That said, it was a good idea to give Bruce Dickinson a breather, which is all the Bayley era amounted to in the long run. The last two he did before the split were lacking a little- 'No Prayer For The Dying' was the most boring and basic album they ever recorded, 'Fear Of The Dark' was better but arguably still laden with half an album of forgettable fare- which made their superb Bruce comeback albums seem all the better.
Zoot Allures View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 18:01
[QUOTE=TheProgtologist]I grew up listening to Iron Maiden,and was listening to their debut at a time when if you talked about it,the response you inevitably got was...Iron who?????????

I like the DiAnno albums for obvious sentimental reasons,and really dig their output up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

I'm hearing ya! Grew up with them myself and pretty much stopped listening after 7th Sign..Thumbs Up

I played Maiden Japan so many times I wore the grooves out in my vinyl.LOL

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - Hunter S. Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply