Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: should Jimi Hendrix be in Progarchives (Proto-prog)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
105 [42.86%]
140 [57.14%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 17:59
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Indeed, after adding progressive pop like The Beatles this site should add the late guitar genius Jimi Hendrix. His influence on the progrock guitarists is more substantial than the influence by The Beatles on progrock bands (the main reason for Chief M@X to add The Beatles to this site) so a big hand for Jimi on Prog Archives, Electric Ladyland rules Clap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well honestly... if Jefferson Airplane was added....  Hendrix will be as well I suspect... not the end of the world...  but how about leave his influence on an instrument aside.. less we start putting Les Paul here in PA's and concentrate on the music...  if Hendrix ...then Cream will be next... where does it end brothers..... LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:05
I think both the Proto-Prog and Prog Related categories are getting very out of hand. This is supposed to be a site for Progressive Rock. That does not include bands that influenced Progressive Rock or sound similair to Progressive Rock, in my opinion. I agree that adding notable influences such as The Beatles has a certain value, but really, since the music isn't Progressive Rock, what's it doing on a Progressive Rock website? I mean, if we're going to include all the direct and indirect influences on Prog, we need to add many classical composers and a whole lot of jazz artists, aswell as many more rock and pop bands from the '50s and '60s than we already have on the site.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:05
Well, Micky, Chief M@X with all his wisdom decided to add The Beatles, meanwhile Wishbone Ash was also added along bands like Rdiohead, Talk Talk and JM Jarre so ............. what's next Wacko , Paco De Lucia, the most progressive flamenco guitarplayer of all times Big smile ?
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:06
I'd like to see Johann Sebastian Bach added. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:09
Too poppy LOL !
Progressive?? View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:09
keith emerson has said that he has been more  influenced by guitar players like Jimi Hendrix , than by piano/keyboard players
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:14

H..ELP Wink !

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by Progressive?? Progressive?? wrote:

keith emerson has said that he has been more  influenced by guitar players like Jimi Hendrix , than by piano/keyboard players

For playing, yes. But how much of Hendrix's music do you hear in ELP's music? Compare the amount of Hendrix influence to the amount of influence from classical music.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Well, Micky, Chief M@X with all his wisdom decided to add The Beatles, meanwhile Wishbone Ash was also added along bands like Rdiohead, Talk Talk and JM Jarre so ............. what's next Wacko , Paco De Lucia, the most progressive flamenco guitarplayer of all times Big smile ?

I know... the man with the plan..makes the plan....  just throwing out my two cents as usual....

I agreed with the Beatles... Radiohead.. Jean Michel Jarre.... I do have a problem with the creeping in the psychedelic groups into this.. so I just voice my objections for what they are worth...  Prog grew OUT of psychedelia...  while related they are seperate in my book. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I do have a problem with the creeping in the psychedelic groups into this.. so I just voice my objections for what they are worth...  Prog grew OUT of psychedelia...  while related they are seperate in my book. 

Amen.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:22
ELP is a band that plays symphonic ROCK  , and even when you hear a lot of, say, Copland, they're still a rock music band.

HENDRIX IN THE ARCHIVES!!!!

Edited by Progressive?? - August 11 2006 at 18:24
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:23

they are a band that plays symphonic ROCK  , and even when you hear a lot of, say, Copland, they're still a rock music band.

I hear a lot of Copland, yes. But I don't hear anything of Hendrix.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:23

as a showman of course.... .that's a damn flimsy excuse to anoit Hendrix  prog LOL  Had he lived... he probably would have joined the prog movement... but alas did didn't...and he didn't...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 18:33
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

they are a band that plays symphonic ROCK  , and even when you hear a lot of, say, Copland, they're still a rock music band.

I hear a lot of Copland, yes. But I don't hear anything of Hendrix.

amen.... Prog is the elevation of rock to artistic standards.. don't focus on just symphoinic influences... anyone who has been here more than a week should know that prog is SO MUCH more that symphonic prog....    Hendrix was a blues artist though progressive in nature of course... pure and simple...  blues is about emotion... not art..  They are not compatible in my musical world-view.  That's it for my soap-box... this I'm sure will be M@x's decision to make. 
Richardw View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 20:35
Ahh  -  ''1983 .... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be )"

Who cares. if it is Prog or not.  It is one of the greatest tracks ever recorded. Light years ahead of some of the music already on this site, and far more progressive too.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 20:55
Originally posted by Richardw Richardw wrote:

Ahh  -  ''1983 .... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be )"

Who cares. if it is Prog or not.  It is one of the greatest tracks ever recorded. Light years ahead of some of the music already on this site, and far more progressive too.

to use a previous posters wise words...

Not all good music is prog music. Wink

it is a great track from an incredible album Clap  After I finish this DVD I need to put Electric Ladyland on... I haven't listened to that in so long. 

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 20:58

amen.... Prog is the elevation of rock to artistic standards..    Hendrix was a blues artist though progressive in nature of course... pure and simple...  blues is about emotion... not art..  They are not compatible in my musical world-view. 

could not disagree more. art is also a way to express emotions. if not, none of Peter Hammil's songs are art.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 20:59
why does Micky write so weirdly?

HENDRIX IN THE ARCHIVES!!!
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 21:05

why does Micky write so weirdly?

HENDRIX IN THE ARCHIVES!!!

Could you please try to offer valid answers to our arguements instead of calling our writing weird? You won't get anywhere with your quest unless you provide some solid proof that Hendrix did have a significant influence on the prog rock movement and the music it turned out as a whole. Again, that does not include influencing/inspiring individual guitarists. Micky and I have offered our arguements agains Hendrix's inclusion in Prog Archives as Proto-Prog, now we want to see your arguements, not just "he influenced many guitarists, in prog aswell" or "Hendrix in the archives!" screamed in caps. Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 21:06

amen.... Prog is the elevation of rock to artistic standards..    Hendrix was a blues artist though progressive in nature of course... pure and simple...  blues is about emotion... not art..  They are not compatible in my musical world-view. 

could not disagree more. art is also a way to express emotions. if not, none of Peter Hammil's songs are art.

I couldn't agree more.... art....great art can evoke emotions... but you miss the point... Prog IS art...intended to be treated as art.. to be reflected upon.. to be pondered and considered...  and subject to individual listeners attention.... blues tells a story... 

the blues ...  is not held to the same artistic standards the prog is...  why do you think that Prog was in part a break from the constraints of blues-based rock. Not that artists didn't incorporate the blues in the mix of musical styles that prog did.  IMO as always so don't get your panties in a wad LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>