Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarl Palmer - Working Live (Volume One)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carl Palmer - Working Live (Volume One)
    Posted: March 06 2004 at 05:06
I wonder how many people are familiar with Carl's solo band project? Basically a few years ago Palmer formed a new three piece band with 2 guitarists to play ELP tracks mainly.Slightly bizarre but it works despite the lack of a keyboard player.Prog traditionalists may have a problem with this but personally I like it a lot.The ELP tracks such as The Barbarian,Tank and Bullfrog are given the 'heavy treatment'.They even succeed in playing Toccata which is no mean achievment.This would appeal to those who love their prog 'heavy' with a touch of Hendrix thrown in.

Edited by richardh
shark View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 06:01

I saw them play live at Jazz Cafe in London on their very first tour, so I bought the CD. Unfortunately, the CD doesn't quite live to what I saw and heard on the night in question. I bought it with the memory of a trio producing an exciting heavy-prog-metal with slight jazz rock overtones fimly lodged in my mind. But what I hear on the CD sems to lean far more towards the heavy that I remembered.Maybe it's just the average quality of the recording that does it.

Having said all this, I salute Palmers's efforts to break away with a new trio. On the night he played with great passion and energy to the point that he was severely out of breath at some point and had to stop playing for a good ten minutes.

Post Reply Post Reply