Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RIO festival in France for 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 04:15
Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

-Some girls from a sport-class, moving their matraces to the boys room when we came home from a concert

Nevermind the rest!! Please expand on this event!!!Big%20smileTongueWink

To really make me feel likre I lost outOuchWinkLOL
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 11:03
Hugues,
just a reminder of bygone  days, when an old geezer crawles home after the last concert to get some sleep ,while the youth ....isn't life so unfair....Cry
LOL

PS 1  you have NO excuse for not coming next year !

PS 2 I did arrangements with the sport class to do the same stunts next yearWink

Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 11:46

HI, RIO FOLKS, THIS IS CÉSAR INCA.

I haven't attended this RIO Festival, but surely you are quite aware of my interest in t5his genre and my deepst appreciation for NeBeLNeST's music. I have all their albums and "ZePTO" was one of my partiuclar fave albums of 2006, so I was a bit concerned about the commentaries on their performance posted here.

I guess my question for all attendants is: What was the main reason for their performance being so dissaponting or nothing special?

Kind regards, and thanks in advance for your attention.
Unbeliever View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 19:54
My impression of NeBeLNeST's concert, and indeed of their recorded output so far is that their music doesn't seem to develop. Sure, the albums document a development of the band, and their sound is progressive, but within the music I don't get the feeling that it is taking you anywhere - it doesn't progress in the same way that Guapo's Five Suns or a Present composition does (to draw comparisons to the other performers of the event).

That said, NeBeLNeST are good musicians, their gig was tight and well prepared and the visual show well presented. I just think they don't have the strength in composition of some of the other bands performing at the festival. the band are young, and perhaps this will change.

After their concert though I did get the positive feeling that there are still people making new challenging music and that it is still evolving. I think their inclusion in the RIO festival was essential as it epitomizes the original zeitgeist of the RIO movement to support new music and new musicians.
Egbe Mi O Carry Me I Want To Die
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 06:29
I think that if I had seen Nebelnest in a different context - at a festival with a lot of neo prog bands for example - I'd have been a lot more impressed. As Unbeliever said, they're good musicians and they have a sound that I enjoy, and there was certainly nothing wrong with their performance at the festival; as I think I said in my review, they seemed to go down well with the audience. In the context of the RIO festival, however, they were quite unexceptional. Guapo (probably the band closest to them in style) gave a much more exciting performance, both musically and visually, and seemed to fit the RIO mould much more comfortably. Nebelnest's compositions dont always have the unexpected twists and turns of RIO at its best, and there didn't seem to be much improvisation either. Bear in mind as well that Nebelnest were appearing alongside legends like Magma, Faust and Present; it was a bit like seeing IQ appearing at the same festival as Genesis, Yes and Jethro Tull (and not the crappy 80s incarnations either).

To put it in some kind of perspective, although I wasn't that impressed with their festival performance Zepto is still on my shopping list and, based on your description, I expect that I'll enjoy it.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 11:52
Thank you for the input. They clarified some concepts noted down in other previous message. A big salutation to all of you who enjoyed the festival.

Kind regards.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 06:13
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

I think that if I had seen Nebelnest in a different context - at a festival with a lot of neo prog bands for example - I'd have been a lot more impressed. As Unbeliever said, they're good musicians and they have a sound that I enjoy, and there was certainly nothing wrong with their performance at the festival; as I think I said in my review, they seemed to go down well with the audience. In the context of the RIO festival, however, they were quite unexceptional. Guapo (probably the band closest to them in style) gave a much more exciting performance, both musically and visually, and seemed to fit the RIO mould much more comfortably. Nebelnest's compositions dont always have the unexpected twists and turns of RIO at its best, and there didn't seem to be much improvisation either. Bear in mind as well that Nebelnest were appearing alongside legends like Magma, Faust and Present; it was a bit like seeing IQ appearing at the same festival as Genesis, Yes and Jethro Tull (and not the crappy 80s incarnations either).

To put it in some kind of perspective, although I wasn't that impressed with their festival performance Zepto is still on my shopping list and, based on your description, I expect that I'll enjoy it.

Although I had seen Nebenest a few years ago and had well enjoyed it, I feared a bit for them being out of their league with such a stellar line-up of this festival.

Clearly their music is more Crimson-based ( I always refer to their sound as the Live USA album improv track Asbury Park) and was not as appealing to RIO/Zeuhl fans. Posting also in Progressive Ears (where a fair bit of members were present), Nebelnest's performance was also not as well received as well.

Chris, I suggest you start with their bebut album , in case youi don't have it yet
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123