Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone ever heard of Badfinger???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone ever heard of Badfinger???
    Posted: August 19 2006 at 14:53
I have seen them around when searching for other prog artsits.

Anyone know if they are prog-like?  or any good?

Thanks fo any info on this band!
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 16:35
They're more like the Beatles.  Their hits included "No Matter What", "Come And Get It" and "Day After Day".
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 16:49
they were originally the iveys and i believe they hail from wales-or did. they were picked up by apple and released several albums in the 70's. contractual problems and apparently a severe case of depression led to guitarist/vocalist peter ham's suicide, which ended the group i think somewhere around 1975 or 1978. tom evans, the bass player, and joey maholland (sp?), the other guitarist, reformed the band in the early 80's, but again ran into legal problems, this time ending in evans' suicide. joey released at least one solo album that i know of and there were reissues i think on rhino that included material unreleased from the second period. a peter ham solo had also been released posthumously. joey is currently the only member of the original badfinger alive i believe, the original drummer dying either earlier this year or last year. badfinger did do several songs that were penned by members of the beatles and appeared on at least one of george harrison's albums. they also did music for the movie the magic christian.

i have a japanese bootleg that was released of the first period material before it was reissued. the cds are in rather strange shape-it was brand new and the cds have pitting in the center ring and are not smooth on the edges, but they play. if you are interested in trying them out, contact me and i'll send them to you. i don't listen to them, now that i have drifted into that evyl screamin' norwegian music...
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 17:02
They were one of the first bands to be signed to the Beatles Apple label, and as Darksinger says, their early work had a Beatles sound. Their first single "Come and get it" was written by McCartney (I think).

Their second single "No matter what" was more distinctive, with some great guitar. "Day after day", the next single had a more sophisticated sound, but still very much pop.

George Harrison was reportedly delighted with their contribution to his "All things must pass" triple album. Ironically, history will probably remember them best as the writers of Harry Nilsson's crooning mega-hit, "Without you".

As DS also says, the band's is a tragic tale though, with 2 of the members committing suicide.

No releationship with prog though TLC, but a talented pop band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 17:12

Harry Nilsson's version of "Without You" is the most definitive...it was murdered over a decade later by Mariah "Help, my tits are caught in the piano keys" Carey...

i think to go a little more in depth on the tragedies, Evans had tried to leave the group in the first period, but Ham convinced him to stay, despite the problems. Ham eventually found that the problems were too much to bear and hung himself. Ham was the main vocalist on songs, including all of the hits. Evans hung himself when the problems rearose in the 80's. he did vocals as well at times, on siongs such as "night owl"
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 17:22
wow thanks for the info, pretty sad to hear most of them are gone.

I will probably check them out sooner or later, dont worry about sending that stuff, not worth the hassle.  Im sure I can just have a friend share some with me!

Thanks!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 17:29
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

wow thanks for the info, pretty sad to hear most of them are gone.

I will probably check them out sooner or later, dont worry about sending that stuff, not worth the hassle.  Im sure I can just have a friend share some with me!

Thanks!

it would be no hassle. i don't listen to them and all they do is collect dust right now. besides, i am always mailing cds here and there...what with belonging to barterbee.com and lala.com...
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 05:29
Just picked up a cassette copy of Straight Up for the equivalent of 35 US cents.  Gotta love discount bins!  BTW, Straight Up is a classic early 70s pop-rock album....on par with anything Big Star has ever released.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply