Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrees hip-hop sampled.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trees hip-hop sampled.
    Posted: August 21 2006 at 15:20
This is Ridiculous.  Apparently, hip-hop artsist Gnarles Barkley sampled Trees' version of "Geordie" on his new album St. Elsewhere.  Yes, I am aware the "Geordie" is popular child folk tune, not by Trees.  The matter in questions is that Gnarles Barkley their version of the song, and perhaps more astonishing, is the level of obscurity in which Gnarles Barkley chose to sample the song. 

This is truly astonishing.  How deep into the bag of musical obscuity does hip-hop artist have to go to make it seem he/she has created something original and unique.  I am writing this post aghast at the ignorance demosntrated by all who extol Gnarles Barkley as talented artist.  Moreover, this goes to show that anyone who priased St. Elewhere is equally ignorant of the "musical butchery" that has in recent years taken place in the hip-hop scene.  I read ealier this year that Gentle Giant was hip hop sampled, however, i never follwed up on that report, but will not question the veracity of the story.  But, Trees? The obscure prog folk band who released to superb albums The Garden of Jane Delawney and On the Shore.  This incident underscores the new depths hip-hop artists stoop down to, all in an dismal effort to be "popular," "appealing" "unique." 

What's next hip hop artists sampling Mellow Candle, Forest, Spring, Vashti Bunyan, and Fuzzy Duck?

Your Thoughts on this unfortunate news?

Info:  "Geordie" On the Shore
          "St. Elsewhere" St. Elsewhere
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 15:23
Well, the result probably sounds... uh.. "very cool" or something. Dead

LOL I just love TREES, but it's better to not have anything too sacred in your life, as it will surely be blasphemized some day.
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 15:36
If it could lead to any recognition of this great band something good would have come out of it. Guess not though. It really amazes me sometimes that Hip Hop artists get away with the (often copied) crap they're making.
Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 15:55
Oh gimme a break...how many times does this "sampling is evil" discussion have to take place on these forums? No one ever comes to a consensus. Live and let live!

BTW, I love Trees. Heard of Gnarls Barkley, but haven't heard them. Apparently they are actually an interesting act.
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 16:02
Not so difficult to be interesting if you copy material from the Trees.
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 16:35
Who givs a flying sh*t anyway... All those lame-assed trendmongers just rave over this Gnarls Barfly dude in hope someone find them and their petty opinions interesting until the Nexxxt Big Thing appears. They don't care who or what is sampled as long as they get attention from chicks.
Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 16:43
It continues to amaze me how incredibly ignorant most people here when it comes to that kind of music. You should be happy that the music of Trees is reaching a new audience rather than acting like the bitter, closed-minded prog stereotypes you're perpetuating.

I'm positive Gnarls Barkley gave proper credit to Trees on the album, just as I'm positive that most people listening will be aware that the sample used in the song is not an original composition (it's kind of obvious, and it's supposed to be). If people hear the song and like it, maybe they'll look up Trees and who knows, maybe even get into prog as a result. Probably not, but it's a posibility, whereas I'm not aware of any negative effects that could come from the sample being used.

Quote This incident underscores the new depths hip-hop artists stoop down to, all in an dismal effort to be "popular," "appealing" "unique."

No, it doesn't. And that quote underscores how little you know on the subject. If anything, it shows that artists like Gnarls Barkley have diverse musical tastes and are willing to use interesting, quality music rather than the generic beats that most people associate with rap.

I just think you're misunderstanding the whole concept. They're not trying to fool anybody, and they're certainly not trying to pass off the original song as their own. They're just doing what they do best - taking existing music and making it into something new and fresh. If you don't like the finished product, then that's fine, but don't go thinking they're "stealing" or trying to deceive anybody, because they're not. I can understand your concern, but I assure you, it's unwarranted; this is definitely not "unfortnuate news"; it's simply a rare chance for an otherwise totally unknown band to get a little bit of mainstream exposure, and have their music re-invented in a way they never would have done themselves.
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 17:15
^Well as i said before if the Trees get some recognition by the samples that would be great. I'm not too hopeful though, I remember Robbie Williams covering "She's the one"a song by World Party. It was never mentioned by any DJ on MTV at all (which might be for the best because this song is by no means World party's best effort Smile). Probably it's in small letters on the Williams album somewhere but i don't think World partư became more well known by this cover.

I tend to agree with people here that the sample is no big deal, it's not as if the world is collapsing. It's just somewhat irritating that people get so much acclaim for copying the work of others, that's all.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 03:47
Originally posted by Ty1020 Ty1020 wrote:

It continues to amaze me how incredibly ignorant most people here when it comes to that kind of music. You should be happy that the music of Trees is reaching a new audience rather than acting like the bitter, closed-minded prog stereotypes you're perpetuating.

I'm positive Gnarls Barkley gave proper credit to Trees on the album, just as I'm positive that most people listening will be aware that the sample used in the song is not an original composition (it's kind of obvious, and it's supposed to be). If people hear the song and like it, maybe they'll look up Trees and who knows, maybe even get into prog as a result. Probably not, but it's a posibility, whereas I'm not aware of any negative effects that could come from the sample being used.

Yup , if properly accredited, this could rekindle interest in the TreesThumbs Up  >> maybe enough to reforest the planetTongue

I actually loved Run-DMC's version of Walk This Way and Eminem's version of Dream On.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 10:54
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yup , if properly accredited, this could rekindle interest in the TreesThumbs Up  >> maybe enough to reforest the planetTongue

I actually loved Run-DMC's version of Walk This Way and Eminem's version of Dream On.

But it wont, There wont be Renaissnace in British Acid Folk, people will take the song for what is and move on.  If you can cite ten people who have listened to Gnarles Barkley and opted to pursue material from Trees after listening to the song "St. Elsewhere" you will have earned my respecte and won this debate. 
Hemispheres View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 15:56
it doesnt overly upset me
[IMG]http://www.wheresthatfrom.com/avatars/miguelsanchez.gif">[IMG]http://www.rockphiles.com/all_images/Act_Images/TheMothersOfInvention/mothers300.jpg">
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 03:56
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

But it wont, There wont be Renaissnace in British Acid Folk, people will take the song for what is and move on.  If you can cite ten people who have listened to Gnarles Barkley and opted to pursue material from Trees after listening to the song "St. Elsewhere" you will have earned my respecte and won this debate. 

Not a renaissance, you would be surprized ... ever heard of Wyrd Folk???

And if there are some 2000 albums sales resulting of  this sampling just because of the exposure, it can only benefit the artistes, rightWink

Another thing >> do you think you could post in normal characters? It sounds/reads like you are all the time pissed off or constantly shouting? Smile

ThanksWink
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 04:49
I can't think of one single negative thing about Trees or prog in general being sampled.
Gnarls Barkley is far from the worst music I've heard. They're good at what they do. 
Its possible to be interested in prog folk and hip hop or whatever at the same time. I know I am.  

BTW: Most music interested people I know like Madvillain and Gentle Giant.

You all should really hear Mos Def - California. Brilliant use of 'You Know, You Know' by Mahavishnu Orchestra. Best use of a progsample I've ever heard, and a very moving song. Actually that song is the reason I got into Mahavanisnu myself.

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
 Post Reply Post Reply