Topic ClosedJon and Ian - criss cross

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon and Ian - criss cross
    Posted: August 30 2006 at 14:51

Let’s imagine, shall we?

There is Jon Anderson. And there is Ian Anderson. It’s obvious for each prog fan. But what do you think: Jon and Ian replace each other --> criss cross. Jon lives in music world of Ian, and Ian in Jon’s one.

What would happen then?

Jon Anderson is a member of Jethro Tull. OK, Jon hasn’t got a beard (sometimes Jon has got, nevermind), he is lower than Ian, hasn’t got strange eyes like Ian. His voice is quite different. Jon – on stage – is rather quiet, static person.

Can Jon play on flute? I have seen the great concert of Yes: QPR 1975. Jon tried to play on flute. Just forget it!

Is Jon a leader of Jethro Tull? I can imagine this situation. Jon, despite of his appearance, has strong nature.

Is Jon a main creator of music? It’s difficult to say. Jon, as a member of Yes, had big influence on music of Yes. But Jon - as a main, maybe unique, creator of music of Jethro Tull?

What music style does Jethro Tull represent? Blues rock, progressive rock? Or maybe celestial rock?

Do you like Jethro Tull during their concerts? I don’t. I’m asking where Ian is! All musicians of Jethro Tull are static...

Would Jon sack Tony Iommi from Jethro Tull? Would Jon cooperate with Steve Howe in Jethro Tull? Steve didn’t want to cooperate with Ian... Would Jethro Tull be new Yes with Jon and Steve then?

What about Ian in Yes? Ian and Chris Squire found Yes in 1968. Does Chris want to cooperate with Ian? Why not? Is Ian keen on Simon & Garfunkel?

OK, Ian wants to be a leader of Yes. There is a lot of problems with it. Chris also wants to be main person in Yes...

What about incoming of Steve? Or maybe Robert Fripp?

In which way is created music of Yes: Ian as a unique/main maker or in mutual cooperation?

Will music of Yes change with presence of Ian? Folk progressive rock?

Who would be a new vocalist of Yes on “Drama”?

Wink

yarstruly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 14:53
I don't know about all of that, but they have essentially the same name, as Ian is a Scottish derivitave of Jon...

Edited by yarstruly - August 31 2006 at 09:13
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 15:20
    I don't know about most of that, but I do like thinking about the replacement vocalist. Trevor Horn was from the New Wave of music. What if they went even more unique, and invited Peter Murphy. Now that would have been interesting.
Under View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 15:21
Jethro Tull with Jon would be smooth, spiritual music.
Ian would leave Yes more often than Rick Wakeman did. Chris Squire would try to be the lead vocalist but failed. Ian would come back and Rick would leave. Steve Howe would be on an iland in the band and be early replaced by Trevor Rabin. Wakeman would return. He always desired to play with Rabin. Now they started to make commercial prog and become a popular band. Their peak would be when they ask that vocalist from that unknown band, being Jon in Jethro Tull, to do the backing vocals.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 15:21

Well, I guess that in conditions you've described we would have had neither Yes nor Jethro Tull, firstly because the names would be different (well, maybe with the exception of Yes, because as Dan Hedges states, the name was invented by Peter Banks, friend of Chris) - there would be no Jethro Tull, The Warriors perhaps..

Speaking of music - Jon and Steve could create a great composer - lyricist duo, but could they obtain partners equal to them? I guess not, no member of Jethro Tull, with the exception of Martin Barre was aa great musician, bassist, keyboardist or drummer as Chris, Bill or Rick... We are missing Martin Barre of course in your world.

Ian and Chris could not get along very well, and in Mabel Greer's Toyshop there are still rows about the direction - in the band there are still Peter Banks and Tony Kaye, and Bill Bruford never met the band, graduated at economy in Leeds, and  Larks, Starless, Red trilogy never happened...

Summing it all up, the both bands could not make such an artistical and commercial impact as they did.

yet you still have time!
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 16:53
Hi Matti,

check out this old thread. I think it would be very useful!Wink

Edited by Andrea Cortese - August 30 2006 at 16:53
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 17:14
yeah, but this time it is not exactly a comparison thread, more like prog history speculation...
yet you still have time!
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 17:25
...hmmmm, do you really imagine Jon Anderson playing flute standing on one leg??

A horror movie, or rather science fiction!!DeadLOL

Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 20:40
this thread may have been interesting if you named two people that would have actually worked with the other band if you had switched them

Aaron
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 21:06
aha...ok, that was good, but I have a better one

Lets pretend for a while that Robert Fripp and the president of USA change places for a week!!! Ohhh!!! What crazy musical directions would Bush take the boys now? Will Fripp use his power for good? Will Bush break the band up? Can Fripp be trusted with "the button"? IS the world going prog? Is prog going republican? Whats next...?Shocked

"You want me to play what, Robert?"
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 21:48
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

aha...ok, that was good, but I have a better oneLets pretend for a while that Robert Fripp and the president of USA change places for a week!!! Ohhh!!! What crazy musical directions would Bush take the boys now? Will Fripp use his power for good? Will Bush break the band up? Can Fripp be trusted with "the button"? IS the world going prog? Is prog going republican? Whats next...?

It would be great for the USA, but horrible for KC. First, they would most likely be some sort of country band, and then W would want to invade all of the other genres.
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 04:46
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Hi Matti,

check out this old thread. I think it would be very useful!Wink

Hi Andrea!

ThxClap
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 04:53
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

aha...ok, that was good, but I have a better oneLets pretend for a while that Robert Fripp and the president of USA change places for a week!!! Ohhh!!! What crazy musical directions would Bush take the boys now? Will Fripp use his power for good? Will Bush break the band up? Can Fripp be trusted with "the button"? IS the world going prog? Is prog going republican? Whats next...?

It would be great for the USA, but horrible for KC. First, they would most likely be some sort of country band, and then W would want to invade all of the other genres.

HT, you're a genius...ClapClapClap. I can just imagine KC (to whom I'm listening just now) turning country (the horror!Dead), and Bush invading the other genres... Talk about "alternative scenarios"!LOL
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 19:02
Originally posted by yarstruly yarstruly wrote:

I don't know about all of that, but they have essentially the same name, as Ian is a Scottish derivitave of Jon...

Well, as far as I'm concerned Ian is indeed a Scottish (or a Gaelic?) variant of John, but John and Jon aren't the same name. John means (roughly) "God had mercy" whereas Jon means "dove, pigeon".
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 22:01
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

HT, you're a genius...ClapClapClap. I can just imagine KC (to whom I'm listening just now) turning country (the horror!Dead), and Bush invading the other genres... Talk about "alternative scenarios"!LOL

well this is just not fair, I make the joke and bhikkhu gets all the credit...Angry

...its all goodHug
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply