Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould Iron Maiden be classified as Prog-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 21:16
Originally posted by lastdodobird lastdodobird wrote:

Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

General remark: if Iron Maiden would be included, nobody could refuse the addition of Metallica, since they had a considerable influence on prog metal. And when both Iron Maiden AND Metallica are in, many more requests will follow. I actually agree that Iron Maiden might have enough reason to be here in prog related (and they're a great band, without question), but I wouldn't want ProgArchives to lose its focus: prog.

If that's the case, then maybe the whole proto-prog and prog-related subgeneres should be totally wiped out from PA...

No, they serve a purpose. I just don't think we should 'stray too far away'. I mean, the Archives' proto-prog and prog related sections should contain bands and artist that prog fans can at least relate to.
decypher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 21:47
oh, Mercyful Fate aren't in the prog archives?

Hm.
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 22:35
I think they have a strong case for inclusion in the archives as a Prog related band. Tracks like Phantom of the Opera, Alexander the Great and Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner are pure Prog IMO, not to mention a huge number of tracks with many Proggy moments. They were often compared to Marillion back in the 80s, also, so I don't see why it's such a huge leap.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 22:42
Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Alexander the Great, the entire Seventh Son album, Sign of the Cross, Paschendale, and the new album are all great prog-metal songs/albums. I'd go with their inclusion as prog related, cause prog metal is too much, cause they arent 100%. if not, i can always check stuff out on them at www.metal-archives.com although that site leans towards the death/black metal side of things too much sometimes

Edited by darkshade - August 31 2006 at 22:43
Dr4Wazo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 22:47
IMO: no

we would have to include Priest, Sabbath and compagny... great bands... not prog... Wink

"Mëem Otsilennhetëe Dros Sun Surra Steuhn Do Nansei"
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 23:25
Originally posted by Dr4Wazo Dr4Wazo wrote:

IMO: no

we would have to include Priest, Sabbath and compagny... great bands... not prog... Wink

I don't see why. Those bands aren't nearly as proggy as Maiden. The only other similar band that I feel should be added are Metallica.
floydisgod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 23:45

General remark: if Iron Maiden would be included, nobody could refuse the addition of Metallica, since they had a considerable influence on prog metal. And when both Iron Maiden AND Metallica are in, many more requests will follow. I actually agree that Iron Maiden might have enough reason to be here in prog related (and they're a great band, without question), but I wouldn't want ProgArchives to lose its focus: prog.

You can say exactly the same thing about Queensryche and Iron Maiden.
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 05:07
I know the topic has been discussed a trillion times, but my advice remains:

YES! They should be included!
I don't see many differences with bands like Queensryche and the like, and they have been a great source of inspiration to plenty of progmetal bands who have sprung out from the nineties on (one name for all: Dream Theater)

Same considerations apply to Metallica: where's the big difference between them and, say, Tool? And they use plenty of complex time signatures...

Give these songs a try and you'll tell me:

IRON MAIDEN
  • Remember Tomorrow, Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania (Iron Maiden)
  • Gengis Khan (Killers)
  • Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, To Tame a Land (Piece of Mind)
  • Aces High, Two Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Powerslave)
  • Alexander the Great (Somewhere in Time)
  • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Prophecy, Infinite Dreams (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son)
  • Mother Russia (No Prayer for the Dying)
  • Afraid to shoot strangers (Fear of the Dark)
  • Sign of the Cross (The X Factor)
  • The Clansman (Virtual XI)
  • The Ghost of the Navigator, The Nomad (Brave New World)
  • Montsegur, Paschendale, Dance of Death, Journeyman (Dance of Death)
  • many tracks on the new "A Matter of Life and Death" album (only listened to it once...I've got to re-examine it)

METALLICA:
  • Fight fire with fire (the blending of the intro with the main theme),The Call of Ktulu (Ride the Lightning)
  • Master of Puppets, Orion, The Thing That Should not Be (Master of Puppets)
  • Blackened, ...And Justice For All, To Live is to Die (...And Justice for All)
  • My friend of Misery, The Unforgiven (Metallica)
A flower?

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 06:43
Originally posted by floydisgod floydisgod wrote:

You can say exactly the same thing about Queensryche and Iron Maiden.

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Queensrÿche.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 06:46
Originally posted by BiGi BiGi wrote:

Same considerations apply to Metallica: where's the big difference between them and, say, Tool? And they use plenty of complex time signatures...

Shocked Actually, I'd be surprised to find more than a few similarities between Metallica and Tool. Probably all metal bands after Metallica are influenced by them to some extent, but Tool and Metallica are almost worlds apart, if you ask me.
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 06:49
Mercyful Fate are in no way Prog Metal, and the fact whether or not they are Prog-Related is a different question, and perhaps one difficult to answer. Even their most famous "progressive" albums Mellisa and Don't Break The Oath have quite intricate, unorthodox moments, that would later the extreme music scenes, however, are still full of quite basic Speed Metal with satanic lyrics. I also voted against their inclusion to the site, however, that had more to do with being in a team(the other two people also rejected the band, and I had mixed thoughts), rather than being biased or even having a strict opinion on their inclusion. I think MF are even more progressive than Iron Maiden and Metallica, but come on, we haven't even got My Dying Bride and Emperor as Prog-Related, and people still keep asking us to add bands with much lesser prog ingredients!
sig
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 06:51
Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

Mercyful Fate are in no way Prog Metal, and the fact whether or not they are Prog-Related is a different question, and perhaps one difficult to answer.

Proto-Prog-Metal? Tongue
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 07:07

Mercyful Fate are in no way Prog Metal, and the fact whether or not they are Prog-Related is a different question, and perhaps one difficult to answer.

Proto-Prog-Metal? Tongue

I don't like the category "Proto-Prog-Metal", speaking honestly. Many bands who are considered that, surely influenced a great variety of metal genres, prog-metal included, but no matter how their influence is undeniable and can not be overlooked, they are very often only remotely close to the sound of Prog. Complexity, unusual time signatures, long songs, keyboards and above average technique are all traits often associated with prog, but each one separately and often even few at once doeth not a prog band maketh.
sig
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 07:07
^ I don't like the term "Proto" in connection with genres ... I mean, albums should have a genre they belong to. If they are also precursors to other genres that's interesting ... but IMO not as important as the actual genre.

BTW: "Proto-Prog-Metal" isd ambiguous anyway - could mean "prog, but proto-metal" or "metal, but proto-prog" or "proto-prog, proto-metal".Wacko

Why can't we simply call those "progressive" Mercyful Fate albums "Complex Aggressive Metal"?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 07:10
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Why can't we simply call those "progressive" Mercyful Fate albums "Complex Aggressive Metal"?

Because ProgArchives isn't Progtology/Ratingfreak and we have to be much more concrete and straight-forward with categories, formalities and limitations?

Calling something "Classic First Wave Complex Aggressive Metal, 50% Atmospheric, 20% Black Metal" or something like that works on your website, but sadly it does not here.
sig
toolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 07:15

i don't see any progginess in any Iron Maiden track from their debut to Virtual XI... yes, Harris loves art rock and bands like Wishbone Ash and Camel but that's it...

i don't see why a former NWOBHM band that serves heavy metal for almost 30 years now with few prog moments in a huge discography should be considered even prog related?

and what would be the benefit of that, anyway?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 07:15
^ Agreed. Of course my suggestion implies that Mercyful Fate are not accepted in the archives.Smile
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 08:08
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ I don't like the term "Proto" in connection with genres ... I mean, albums should have a genre they belong to. If they are also precursors to other genres that's interesting ... but IMO not as important as the actual genre.

BTW: "Proto-Prog-Metal" isd ambiguous anyway - could mean "prog, but proto-metal" or "metal, but proto-prog" or "proto-prog, proto-metal".Wacko

I should have said Proto-Progmetal then (without the second dash, to avoid that problem).

But of course the real genre they belong to is "Experimental Agressive Proto-Death Proto-Thrash Complex Satanic Proto-Black Facepaint Proto-Progmetal".

Edited by Joren - September 01 2006 at 08:08
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 08:10

Proto-Prog-Metal? Tongue

I don't like the category "Proto-Prog-Metal", speaking honestly. Many bands who are considered that, surely influenced a great variety of metal genres, prog-metal included, but no matter how their influence is undeniable and can not be overlooked, they are very often only remotely close to the sound of Prog. Complexity, unusual time signatures, long songs, keyboards and above average technique are all traits often associated with prog, but each one separately and often even few at once doeth not a prog band maketh.

O well, they just sound proggy to me... but what do I know, I'm not a PMS. Wink

We'll see... maybe they'll get added, and maybe not. But there's no stopping them for sure if Iron Maiden and Metallica are included. Any case, I'll live. Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 08:10
LOL Break it down do individual albums and it becomes much more simple and obvious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>