Topic ClosedKrautrock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 03:58

^^ Strange question. I'm sure most krautrock listeners don't think in terms of rivalry
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 18:47
just curious

do any of the big Duul fans here think that Can sucks super monkey balls?

maybe it's just me

Aaron
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 13:47

VB,

I usually consider anything German, 70s, an' challenging as Krautrock. Some 8-tracks I've never got into (Gila, Mythos) but I accept their otherness. Never considered standard rock as part of the genre ala Scorpions an' Eloy (even took me 1972 plays of Thirsty Moons' debut to dig) but I gotta fair few 'Kraut Comps' that are more than happy to showcase their (and others) labels' acquisitions
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 13:34
Krautrock is defined in different ways. I consider any German band in the category of Krautrock from Guru Guru to Triumvirat. What are some of your takes on this?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2006 at 17:17
Originally posted by Yukorin Yukorin wrote:

Great list VB ! Agree with you that some are obscure for a reason. Any krautrock on 8-track ? ! A friend of mine had a couple of Amon Duul 2 an' Can on the format of the Gods

avestin

thanks for reminding me of 'And The Waters Opened' ! Beautiful record. I was convinced that the opening track had been heavily sampled by some trance artists. Or maybe Between lifted it themselves ? Anyways, nice one to 'ave a smoke with

I am still living in the ages of dark but have no prog on 8 track unless you consider Grang Funk Railroad  prog. Take Me toyour capitain etc.LOL
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 06:28

Haven't heard the Paternoster LP BV. Worth a shout ?

Talkin' of albums which, shall we say, 'take a while' I'm tryin' Yatha Sidhra's 'A Meditation Mass' yet again an' save for the excellent phasing on part 3 it still isn't doin' a lot. This has slow-burned for 10 years now...     It's pretty much a universal given that she's a classic however I'm glad that I didn't chance her on vinyl for 150 quid an' got the cd instead.

Must have been Dieter Dierks on the desk. Any better 'phasing' than Ash Ra Tempel's 'Flowers Must Die' ? That is phase central !
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 21:38

Listening to Sand's 'Golem' for the 100th time now an' I still can't make me mind up about it.

Talk about a slow burner...

Just listening to this now, thanks Wink. She definately is an interesting piece, spliting listeners in half, it's all or none with this one.

This beening said for my first listen through I am quite enjoyin this one, some very interesting moods and textures. I'm not being wowed, but it sound interesting enough to hold my attention. In controversy this almost reminds me of that Paternoster album, I think you should know which one I am talking about.

Yet another interesting project Klaus has dipped his toe in, he produced it if I am not mistaken?
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 19:44

Great list VB ! Agree with you that some are obscure for a reason. Any krautrock on 8-track ? ! A friend of mine had a couple of Amon Duul 2 an' Can on the format of the Gods

avestin

thanks for reminding me of 'And The Waters Opened' ! Beautiful record. I was convinced that the opening track had been heavily sampled by some trance artists. Or maybe Between lifted it themselves ? Anyways, nice one to 'ave a smoke with

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 14:36
Well, I have a lot of European stuff from the seventies not all of it Kraut Rock but the obscure stuff is not necassarily good. I don`t really know what your looking for but here`s a brief list of some of the rarer stuff I have in my collection on vinyl ( I`m still living in the dark ages )

Pell Mell Germany

Geronimo Germany

Ruphus Norway

Floh de Cologne Germany

Eiliff Germany

Midnight Sun Denmark

Edgar Allan Poe Italy

A couple of bands from Iceland and Greenland that I`ll have to search for which are hiding in my collection

Scorpio Hungary

These are only the ones I can come up with right now as I am not at home.
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 04:43
i hope you mean the albums.............Big smile
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 04:30
Ah, yes, I am very lucky to have them at hand when ever needs be. At the moment I am waiting in anticipation, as they are soon to be stocking the newly remastered copies of the first two Kluster albums, yummy . I'm thinking they are not going to be hanging around for too long  
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 03:46

I was thinkin' that meself SuperP..! Lucky ol' Black Velvet heh !
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 01:33
Black Velvet wrote:

"Just brought "Code III" yesterday while I was down at the local store. I have already put it on for a couple of spins and this is some great material. Kraut just how I like it."

I'd like to visit yr local store too!!!!!! wow..........what a locale u must live in hehehehe
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 21:49
I won't mention the whole list of Kraut I have and like, but I will mention one (apologies if it has been mentioned here).
I refer to BETWEEN - And The Waters Opened. 
Reviews and sources:

Between

A most unusual and unique group, the Munich combo Between (formed in 1970 as Between The Chairs) were the brainchild of musical theorist and experimentalist Peter Michael Hamel. As such, Between drew together a wide range of international musicians into a musical and cultural melting pot. Between were aptly in between everything, both musically and culturally.

Featuring avant-garde tendencies within a music that blended the medieval, the ancient and the futuristic, with jazz and rock musics, the initial results on their debut EINSTEIG were most inspiring. Arguably a step on from The Third Ear Band (sans the mantric rhythms) Between were invention in the extreme, in a music that was melodic yet challenging. Not surprising for a band that featured such acclaimed musicians as James Galway, Roberto Détrée and Robert Eliscu. There are some extraordinary cosmic excursions here too, all amounting to a revolutionary mixture of psychedelic and world musics. EINSTEIG is still as remarkable and fresh now as when it was created. Further albums developed the Between sound on an increasingly ethnic level AND THE WATERS OPENED with its atmospheric dronings from Détrée's moto-cello is probably Between's most innovative and fascinating, it's an album that oozes beauty and mystery. It's almost chilling! DHARANA and CONTEMPLATION were the most ambitious on a cross-cultural level, and were much more serious in their attitude. Both of these combined Indian and African musics into a larger more symphonic sound, notably so the lengthy excursions that encompassed the second side of each. Finally, with SILENCE BEYOND TIME Between moved both closer to esoteric ECM jazz realms, notably because of Roger Jannotta's presence and other influences, and also moved closer to traditional ethnic musics.

It's a great shame that Between split after this. Peter Michael Hamel has been quite prolific since, going on to work solo in systemic/new-age music and also serious avant-garde. Also, Roberto Détrée has continued his work with novel instrument creations. During Between's history Peter Michael Hamel also worked with Agitation Free, Bob Eliscu worked on and off with Popol Vuh in tandem with Between, and Cotch Black was also in the rock group Sinto, and the jazz/percussion ensemble Niagara. An oddity in Between's discography is the album HESSE BETWEEN MUSIC, which wasn't really a Between album as such, but a radio-play project of one Gerd Westphal with Between and guests. Its message is lost to non-German ears, and musically only some of it is real Between. Approach with caution!

Roberto Détrée (guitar, moto-cello), Jimmy J. Galway (flute), Bob Eliscu (oboe, flute, crumhorn, voice), Cottrell Black (tympani, congas, drums), Ulrich Stranz (viola), Peter Michael Hamel (organ, piano)

EINSTEIG
LP Wergo WER 1001 (1971)

AND THE WATERS OPENED
LP Vertigo 6360 612 (1973)

DHARANA
LP Vertigo 6360 619 (1974)

HESSE BETWEEN MUSIC (6/74)
LP Harvest 1C 062-29 546 (1975)

CONTEMPLATION
LP Wergo WER-SM 1012 (1977)

STILL ÜBER DER ZEIT/SILENCE BEYOND TIME (1979)
LP Wergo SM 1023 (1980)

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 19:56
Just brought "Code III" yesterday while I was down at the local store. I have already put it on for a couple of spins and this is some great material. Kraut just how I like it.

Also here is some interesting reading about those bands involved with Gardens of Delights

http://www.aural-innovations.com/issues/issue8/god01.html

I'm yet to hear Sand's 'Golem' But definately intend to, you unsure repsonse has intreged me.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 12:12

Listening to Sand's 'Golem' for the 100th time now an' I still can't make me mind up about it.

Talk about a slow burner...
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 11:52

Me spellings off ! Spiegelei !

http://www.electric-orange.com/kraut/dg2.htm

Definately some fried eggs here

Ah now I understand. A few familiar names there indeed. I'm not much of a Krauthead though. I enjoy quite a few Krautrock groups, but I'm far from an expert...
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 16:38
Originally posted by Aaron Aaron wrote:

i feel like some of the very obscure has become quite available as of late

like German Oak's s/t and Necronomicon's Tips Zum SSdkjgjafakd

Aaron

"Tips Zum Selbstmord" is a great album, but as I noted in my review, probably not worth the £1,500 price tag...

The re-issue (if you can find one) is a much better buy - I would say it's essential to any fan of Krautrock.

Edited by Certif1ed - September 10 2006 at 16:39
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 15:03

Me spellings off ! Spiegelei !

http://www.electric-orange.com/kraut/dg2.htm

Definately some fried eggs here
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 14:57