Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 282>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glass house Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 09:31
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 10:03
Gone... but I foresee new attacks! Unhappy
Guigo

~~~~~~
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 12:07
I'm not sure that this is a review of the album at all...

=======================================

RADIOHEAD — Ok Computer
Review by jrfernan
Well, what can I say! greenback pretty much said it all in his/her review:

"I think it is a music for people who like to live forever with messy desperate humors, like the untidiness in an apartment of a bunch of marginal, unemployed pot smokers, who completely have no sense of structure and elegance! "

LOL!!!!!!!

That has to be one of the funniest things I have EVER heard or read! The sad thing is that it's probably not far off from being the absolute truth.

I won't argue whether OK Computer, or Radiohead, deserves to be categorized as prog or not. From the looks of it, anything can fit into the prog category these days. I will say this though: this record epitomizes the current state of world affairs and the decadence of the arts.

Whenever I listen to Radiohead's music ONE vision comes to mind: MISERY.

I understand that there is a place for dark music. There always has been and there always will be. But the problem I have with OK Computer is that it's terribly composed and executed. Radiohead sound like a bunch of school kids learning their instruments, TOGETHER! I say this in all seriousness: I have NO DOUBT that my 10 year old son(who's a flautist) and a couple of his school mates can composed MUCH more interesting music than any of the garbage on OKC.

I sit here in disbelief at how waste like this can sell millions of copies, yet IQ cannot make a living from their music! IQ band members have to have day jobs, yet Radiohead make it onto Jay Leno! AMAZING is an understatement.

I place Radiohead into the same exact category as Boards of Canada. Both are despicably OVERRATED and cater to dope heads and adolescents. They are both dark and boring, while offering very little originality. Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground had pioneered this style of "Heroin Grunge" approximately 30 years ago. In the case of the VU the band members had "some" sense of compositional structure and progression, but Radiohead takes this style to a cheaper, darker and deeper pit.

I'ts sad that progarchives only allows a minimum of one star.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=92087

===========================================

Many generalisations and not a review of the album in my opinion.

Edited by Tony R - September 26 2006 at 12:08
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OpethGuitarist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 14:14
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=92087

this review pissed me off, and im not even a big radiohead fan

EDIT: Appears Tony beat me to it

Edited by OpethGuitarist - September 26 2006 at 14:15
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fassbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 14:21
...and the story continues...:

LATTE E MIELE — Papillon

Review by prevacid_bzd

5 stars I am very impressed how you can build webpages! Please visit my site too:

Good luck! :), I am very impressed how you can build webpages! Please visit my site too:

Good luck! :)

Posted Tuesday, September 26, 2006, 14:15 EST | Permanent link

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 14:30
^
dealt with thanks!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 15:23
Please do not report any more of the spam reviews ("love the site" etc.) They are easily spotted and will be dealt with OK.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 15:25
Radiohead review noted, will be dealt with.
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaywardSon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 18:21

This review says nothing really about the album that is supposed to be reviewed

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=92398

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 18:44
Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

This review says nothing really about the album that is supposed to be reviewed

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=92398

Handling on...Confused
Guigo

~~~~~~
Toccata View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toccata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 11:11

Just some thoughts about two reviewers – progmanc and vangelis02:

both appear close to each other, sometimes the same day and even the same hour;

both give almost the same (or very similar) valuation of  albums;

both have rated all top three Pink Floyd albums with 5 stars;

both gave less favourable valuation for top three Yes albums;

both gave even less favourable valuation for top Genesis albums;

as if agreed, both gave only 2 stars for “Lamb lies…”;

but both didn’t rate Rush, King Crimson, Marillion or DT.

Don’t you think they are one person duplicating (with some slight variations) reviews? And don’t you think all of them should be deleted?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 11:57
Cheers Toccata, we'll check them out.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 17:00
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=92485

sularetal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sularetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 22:11
Gordian Knot's first release, "Gordian knot"

5 stars "Beautiful, great power....is one of the best music that i never hear. Yeah! Very recomended!! ( 'Code/Anticode' ) 'Grace' is a lovely song. 'Srikara Tal' is a 9:25 song..trance.. 'Rivers Dancing' is a powerful sound Masterpiece. John Myung from DREAM THEATER!!!. but...PAUL MASVIDAL DOESN´T play .... :-( ... Spanish guitars, Chapman Stiks , electric guitars, drums, synth, NO vocals , SEAN MALONE BASS...great."

IMO not a very helpful review...
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 22:15
Originally posted by sularetal sularetal wrote:

Gordian Knot's first release, "Gordian knot"

5 stars "Beautiful, great power....is one of the best music that i never hear. Yeah! Very recomended!! ( 'Code/Anticode' ) 'Grace' is a lovely song. 'Srikara Tal' is a 9:25 song..trance.. 'Rivers Dancing' is a powerful sound Masterpiece. John Myung from DREAM THEATER!!!. but...PAUL MASVIDAL DOESN´T play .... :-( ... Spanish guitars, Chapman Stiks , electric guitars, drums, synth, NO vocals , SEAN MALONE BASS...great."

IMO not a very helpful review...

An old skeleton needing to rest in peace... Tongue
Guigo

~~~~~~
sularetal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sularetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 00:45
LOL
sularetal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sularetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 01:14
5 stars This is it. This is THE album of the ages. I don't need to say it was the beginning of progressive rock, so I don't know why I wasted my time typing that. What I do need to say, though, is that it is the closest to perfection any music has achieved, without being "The Musical Box" by Genesis, IMO. This was the album that got me into progressive rock, and still remains my favorite. I first rented it at the library and walked home listening to it on a beautiful rainy night. When I returned it to the library, I wanted to buy it, but I couldn't find it in any stores. It was enough to drive a man INSANE!!! And it nearly did, until I resorted to buying it for 25 American bucks from an English website. Later on in my life (perhaps a month), I saw it in EVERY BLOODY STORE I WENT INTO FOR 15 BUCKS!!! (Excuse the word bloody; I wish I was English) Whatever, the earlier the better, I say (although it was 10 bucks down the drain, so maybe I don't say that). Now, onto my review, which is what I know you came here for. All I need to say is that IMO Epitaph is the best song and liking Moonchild takes a bit of imagination. I always imagine I'm in a weird greenhouse with extremely white light covering the windows and a bunch of strange invention from perhaps a mad scientist, an artist, or a combination of the two. The rest of the album evokes dark, foggy catacombs with a navy blue tint in my mind. It reminds me of E.A. Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado" for some reason. It may be the cover, which is the greatest cover I've ever seen. Michael Giles is definitely the best drummer I've ever heard. No other drumming gives me as much feeling as his does. In a word, this album is a masterpiece, although I don't like "21st Century Schizoid Man" as much as the others. Greatest album of all-time.

This Is not a very good review but I happen to like it because the reviewer here describes the pictures that come into his mind while listening to it. The question is what do we do in those cases? This album for example has around 50 reviews from prog reviewers so there is no case this review will be read by many but reviews like this:
(http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=43057) should be seleted in my opinion.

5 stars This is one of the greatest albums I have ever listened to, I may be biased considering I love jazz. Greg Lake's vocals and basslines make me want to die. Everything has already been said about this album. Epitaph is substantial proof that talent does not drown emotion, and anyone who disagrees is confused.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 02:17
I just want to point out that the latest two King Crimson - Discipline reviews have something out of the subject of a music reviewing and of a natural interest.

The first, from bobesh, treats the accent of both a purist and a view angry enough to be unsubstantial.

The second, from startibartfast, has a paragraph that is a response to bobesh's negative view. Going only afterwards normal.

Obviously, I'm bothered by the second review's opening phrase more.

--

Both aren't real problems, still perhaps a thought on this?

(or are them just not my particular cup of tea?)
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote memowakeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 11:45
COLLAGE — Moonshine
Review by windcrazy

4 stars Moonshine remember the dark and romantic night, when the rain falls down and you stay in your dreams. Let's fly through the rainbow. It's very special prog cd, similar Genesis - And Then There Were Three

Posted Friday, September 29, 2006, 06:25 EST | Permanent link

just a personal reviewer´s feeling... nothing more...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
sularetal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sularetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 18:27
A few reviews from "thehttp://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=3056 (nothing personal):

1)1 stars I am sitting at my computer after a full viewing of this movie. I am literally disgusted, and feeling sick after viewing this. I will not say it was a complete waste of money, but dear god, this is AWFUL. I will never watch this film, ever, ever again. This coming from a fan, who loves plenty of Floyd albums...This is disgraceful.

If the entire band was into producing this, and thought it was successful, I have lost a TON of respect. I always considered them overrated, but now I am almost baffled at the fact that this album, let alone the movie, is so raved about. Comfortably Numb is a great song, but it is hard to find much else. The Final Cut is far superior to this.

This movie had me talking to myself in disgust while watching it...my hand on my chin in absolute shock at how miserable a movie could possibly be.

I still am stunned!! Wow, wow, wow! I need to go put on animals or something to try and redeem the greatness I once saw in some Floyd stuff...

2)2 stars Give me a break Crimson fans! This here has to be one of the most dissapointing albums i have ever purchased. I mean, I love king crimson, i think they have written some great stuff, but this? Terrible. Cirkus builds you up to a potentially good corus, and hits you with this flat horn eerie annoying sound, like whoa, is every song like this!??!

And ofcourse, they mostly are, track 1-3 are miserable, not to say uninspired tracks, but more inspired by crappy sound. Lady of the dancing water is simple, and nice, anyone couldve written it, its no Cadence and Cascade by any means.

Lizard...hahaha, wow, WHY DID THEY DO THIS!!!!?!?!? I still, to this day, have no idea why this song is 23 minutes long. The first part of this song is, to say the LEAST, amazing. Jon andersons vocals and the melody struck me so hard, I can safely say it is one of if not THE best crimson song, or part of a song, ever. Sadly, it should have ended after the first 4 and a half minutes...but not, it drags on for another 20 minutes.

Those 20 minutes of lizard are terrible, annoying horns going off, no structure WHAT SO EVER. How do you go from jon andersons first amazing part to thiS!!??!

Miserable album, NOTHING like wake or court, which are both AMAZING. I would recommend it JUST for lizard, it is a must hear, the first few minutes at most.

Very dissapointed, as everyone here gives it 5 stars and the first thing they say is "Its very hard to get into", yeah, its not 5 stars then, most people here can HEAR great music their first listen, it doesnt need to be driven into you.

Just because you listen to the first 3 tracks fourty times that doesnt make them suddenly good, your just getting used to the terribleness.

5 songs, 3 are bad, 1 is good, 1 is 1/5 phenominal. Check it out if you need to.

3)3 stars An interesting album, of which i suppose is on the archives because of me :) cool!!

The version of pinball wizard on here is pretty awesome actually and has alot of power in it...i love it. The rest of the album is pretty much standard 60's rock, nothing too great, really a mediocre album...but the pinball wizard cover is a must listen for fans of The

4)3 stars Overall, a good album. Cadence and Cascade is unbelievable, and probably the best crimson song next to lizard. Wake of poseidon is also amazing, very court like.

Not much to say about this album, it is well structured, comes out pretty good, some terrible songs mixed in the bag that just shouldnt exist (as is always true with crimson) but overall a good package.

BUY THIS ALBUM for cadence and cascade, it is unfriggenbelieveable. That is the highlight, everything else is decent next to it, wake is best also.

Good stuff, 3/5

Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 282>