Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 172173174175176 282>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 09:02
Actually, I'm wondering where the reviewer got the copy he is reviewing because we didn't send him a promo copy.  There has been a huge problem of pirated copies on Progarchives in the past with reviewers, and more than  a few pirate sites get there data about releases from progarchives, like theforgottensuns.blogspot.com comes immediately to mind.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 09:15
I don't know Shawn, maybe he bought it from Amazon Stern Smile
What?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 11:12
Originally posted by BigBoss BigBoss wrote:

Actually, I'm wondering where the reviewer got the copy he is reviewing because we didn't send him a promo copy.  There has been a huge problem of pirated copies on Progarchives in the past with reviewers, and more than  a few pirate sites get there data about releases from progarchives, like (xxx) comes immediately to mind.

That's not a very nice thing to say BB.

We've very conscious here of protecting copyright, we don't allow links to illegal sites, file sharing, swapping pirate copies etc. If you see a post which breaches our strict rules on this, please report it.

You take advantage of the site to get a lot of free publicity for your ventures, if you'd rather people did not know about your releases, don't tell them!

I'm not sure that including a reference in your post to what I assume is an illegal blog site is a good idea either.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 11:14
^I'm pretty sure he only means that reviews are from illegal downloads, not that we support it. And it is true that sites use info and reviews from here in download sites.

Edited by Snow Dog - March 08 2012 at 11:15
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 12:19
However we are used to delete reviews of albums not yet released unless we know that are from a promo copy, isn't it?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 12:26
Yes, but the release date of the album is listed here as February 2012 so in theory it should be attainable at this point unless that date is incorrect...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 12:44
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^I'm pretty sure he only means that reviews are from illegal downloads, not that we support it. And it is true that sites use info and reviews from here in download sites.

I think he was having a go, Ian, and he was, IMO, being unfair.

He should also realise that the majority of the reviews posted on PA ending up on such sites do so for reasons completely beyond our control. Once a review has been posted, it is in the public domain, and it is just a question of copying and pasting the thing onto the destination site, easy as. More than a few of mine have ended up on such site, without my influence or permission, or indeed knowledge. It's just the way the internet works, and he should know this.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 12:51
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I think he was having a go, Ian, and he was, IMO, being unfair.

He should also realise that the majority of the reviews posted on PA ending up on such sites do so for reasons completely beyond our control. Once a review has been posted, it is in the public domain, and it is just a question of copying and pasting the thing onto the destination site, easy as. More than a few of mine have ended up on such site, without my influence or permission, or indeed knowledge. It's just the way the internet works, and he should know this.

I'm not convinced he was having a go.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 13:07
Seems clear to me: "There has been a huge problem of pirated copies on Progarchives "
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 13:09
........ in the past with reviewers, and more than  a few pirate sites get there data about releases from progarchives,
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 13:58
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Seems clear to me: "There has been a huge problem of pirated copies on Progarchives "
Seems clear to me that pirated copies are not a problem of ProgArchives.

We can't control how our members get the access to albums. There is music and there are PA members' opinions. The rest is beyond of PA control.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Barvisca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barvisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 15:25

After reading ProgolateCookie’s review ( http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=649902 ) ,  if it could be named so, it occurres to me the following:

1. From the very beginning  ProgolateCookie could not hide his disaffection for “ProgRock records”  and because of this nuance his “opinion”  seams very tendentious;
  2. ProgolateCookie can't  hide and underlines his dislike to the good reception of the new album of the  Profusion and his contemptuous tone diminishes the feelings of those listeners and colleagues of the forum, who like Rewotower.
  3. His very personal and biased opinion about Rewotower  amplifies the  contrast  with other colleagues who gave their  constructive, impartial  and professional  feedback on this forum or in their reviews. I noticed that ProgolateCookie prefers rating to writing reviews. In the case of Rewotower it was not enough to him  just putting 2 stars (  the only one star was sufficiently enough  because he did not like the album),  but he preferred  to emphasize how his tastes are above of those of the fans of Rewotower. Why?
  4. By the way, I saw that in the list of ratings ProgolateCookie placed  the album “The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn” of PINK FLOYD under the Rewotower, as ProgolateCookie gave it the only one star. So something tells me that the two stars of ProgolateCookie for the album  Rewotower should become simply “The Gates Of Dawn”  for the Profusion

Barvisca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barvisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 15:39
Originally posted by Barvisca Barvisca wrote:

After reading ProgolateCookie’s review ( http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=649902 ) ,  if it could be named so, it occurres to me the following:

1. From the very beginning  ProgolateCookie could not hide his disaffection for “ProgRock records”  and because of this nuance his “opinion”  seams very tendentious;
  2. ProgolateCookie can't  hide and underlines his dislike to the good reception of the new album of the  Profusion and his contemptuous tone diminishes the feelings of those listeners and colleagues of the forum, who like Rewotower.
  3. His very personal and biased opinion about Rewotower  amplifies the  contrast  with other colleagues who gave their  constructive, impartial  and professional  feedback on this forum or in their reviews. I noticed that ProgolateCookie prefers rating to writing reviews. In the case of Rewotower it was not enough to him  just putting 2 stars (  the only one star was sufficiently enough  because he did not like the album),  but he preferred  to emphasize how his tastes are above of those of the fans of Rewotower. Why?
  4. By the way, I saw that in the list of ratings ProgolateCookie placed  the album “The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn” of PINK FLOYD under the Rewotower, as ProgolateCookie gave it the only one star. So something tells me that the two stars of ProgolateCookie for the album  Rewotower should become simply “The Gates Of Dawn”  for the Profusion

P.S.  I saw only 3 reviews from 100 ratings of ProgolateCookie!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 16:00
I have deleted my previous post because I want to hear more before writing any comment about this album. I think I'll go directly for a review.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 16:31

This will not end well Unhappy

What?
Barvisca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barvisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 18:22
Re. VanVanVan's reviw http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=655702
The example of how the review should be: heartfelt, serious, and constructively critic - as all the reviews I've read on this site, except that one that I noted here above...
Barvisca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barvisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 18:24
I think I should shorten the neck of my giraffe as it takes too much place :D  
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 18:52
Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is. He didn't like the album. End of story.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2012 at 07:05
Originally posted by Barvisca Barvisca wrote:

I think I should shorten the neck of my giraffe as it takes too much place :D  

No, I think your neck is not found wanting on any front Barvisca. I agree that ProgolateCookies review isn't a particularly well written one but it certainly doesn't contravene any of the review guidelines. He states his reasons for not liking the album in question and his misgivings are every bit as valid as another's praise.
Barvisca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barvisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 18:12
It was enough to me to hear from you that it was not a kind of diligently made critic review. This kind of opinion could be  posted in the forum, but when one names his opinion "review", I thinkб  the content  of this opinion should correspond to the title. I don't object  the absence of the "praise" (as you say) in ProgolateCookies's review but I objected the absence of the constructive critics. Merely healthy criticism which is very important to every beginner that helps them to grow. This item is the real goal  of your  prog-rock "fraternity", is not it ?
I am not here to ague...
I wish all the best and if the forum permits, I leave to all one of my favorite pieces... Hope you all enjoy it, but anyway: tastes differBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 172173174175176 282>