Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 282>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 10:25
nuc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 10:30
    Another user is delusion squared oriented, will be the same person?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 23:28
Just wondering what was going on here on home page

2 reviews same album, same reviewer, different reviews

Dark End of the Street
Moving Hearts Prog Folk

Review by kenethlevine 
Special Collaborator Prog-Folk Team

— First review of this album —
4 stars Following up a debut like "Moving Hearts" the previous year must have been a daunting task, and subsequent partial implosion was inevitable, but MOVING HEARTS easily met the challenge on "Dark End of The Street". This is more an album of its time and, while still arguably a classic, isn't entirely in the same league as its predecessor.

The album opens with perhaps its weakest track, "Remember the Brave Ones", penned by Christy Moore's brother Barry, soon to be known as LUKA BLOOM. It's not bad but a bit overwrought and marred by period synthesizers. Still, "All I Remember", while easily the poppiest song ever released by the group, manages to buck the signature sound more convincingly, like an affectionate cross between BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN and RUNRIG. The title track is a convincing interpretation of a classic folk song with lyrics that can be applied to one's own unique circumstances. "Allende" and "Let Somebody Know" are both warm ballads, while "Half Moon" is a languid and lovely instrumental with bass, sax and piano blending sultrily.

"What will you do about me" is probably the most transcendent piece here, sung from the point of view of an aging peacenik environmentalist who refuses to give up the ghost much to the chagrin of the authorities. The chorus makes one and one's hairs stand equally at attention and the sax, pipes, lead guitars and synths round out this roughly woven and moody number.

Highly recommended even if somewhat dated, "Dark End of the Street" shines at the 4.5 star level even today.

Send comments to kenethlevine | Report this review (#734866) 
Posted Saturday, April 21, 2012, 09:17 EST | Review Permalink | Submit a review for this album

Dark End of the Street by MOVING HEARTS album coverBoxset/Compilation, 1982
4.00 | 1 ratings 

BUY
Dark End of the Street
Moving Hearts Prog Folk

Review by kenethlevine 
Special Collaborator Prog-Folk Team

— First review of this album —
4 stars Following the success of the two classic MOVING HEARTS albums in the UK and Ireland, WEA released a compilation with the highlights of both for American consumption, curiously named after and endowed with the same cover as the second of these. It is a good representation of the scope of the group's Celtic rock signature sound.

The album is slightly weakened by one song in particular that does not mesh well even within that admittedly broad lexicon. That song is Barry Moore's "Remember the Brave Ones". Barry was to re-brand himself as LUKA BLOOM and meet with moderate success in America, as a way of thrusting out from under his brother Christy's dominance in the nest. This track doesn't even sound like Luka, and, while thematically in step with the political struggles concept, is musically a bit more 80s sounding, with synthesizers played by Donal Lunny. Still, it does have that indelible spirit, and sounds better now than I remember it in the day. The compilers also chose to include two rather rote pipe led instrumentals, where one would have easily been sufficient.

For the rest, apart from superb "Hiroshima Nagasaki Russian Roulette" and "No Time for Love" originally on the self titled album, we are treated to several winners culled from the second release, the urgent "What Will You Do About Me" being the best of these. It flawlessly channels the peace movement of the 1960s but from the perspective of one old enough who have been there in the first place, telling us that he didn't abandon those values for the comforts of the bourgeois lifestyle. He's sticking around for the long haul, and what shall we do about him. "Let Somebody Know" is a gentle feeling ballad, and "Dark End of the Street" shows they could tackle full-on soul numbers and transform them into subversive Irish folk. "Half Moon" is a lovely bass-led instrumental, with timely piano rolls, on par with "Lake of Shadows" off the debut, omitted here.

If you are a vinyl collector in America, you might find one of these around, and it would be worth the search. Since only 2 tracks from the second album are missing here (both good ones of course), you might be fine with just the debut and this compilation. But, if a true collector, seek out the two original albums in all their glory. This street is well worth travelling whether in darkness or in light.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 23:38
^^^^ Actually are the albums slightly different - thats weird using the same front cover for 2 separate albums....
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 02:12
That's what Ken said Wink
What?
alinux View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 08:38
Dear Friends,

Here you are other rating manipulation:
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=40415

For 2012 it's ASTRA oriented user:

It's OK for me giving 5 stars to a personal favourites! But, damned 2 or 1 stars to other bands, just to underrate them is really frustrating!

Please, admins, moderators do something.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 09:15
^ i really don't see how this is manipulation.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 10:13
Somebody who gives high rating to the symphonic albums and gives one star to After Crying makes me doubt that he has really listened to them. (He has the right to rate them this way in any case).

I don't see a manipulation but I have never heard Astra.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 10:54
Yeah I really don't see any manipulation going on here either. What I do see is that Alinux goes to fight for the band Profusion every chance he gets, but sometimes people just don't enjoy albums they hear. They have the right to dislike something. Plus the highlighted so-called manipulator has rated a fair amount of 2012 releases with 3 stars. If this was manipulation, we'd see 5 stars for Astra and the obligatory 1 star parade for everything else.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 11:28
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^ i really don't see how this is manipulation.

I agree. I think a touch of paranoia is creeping into proceedings here.

Wait..I have to go............That's the CIA on the phoneSmile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 01:10
Perhaps not manipulation in this case but it shows a disregard for some classics.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 01:21
^ What, you mean like giving Going for the One a two?  I would have gone for the one. It's not that bad really, I just don't really get your point.  That's happening to me a lot of late by the way.

Edited by Logan - April 24 2012 at 01:25
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 04:02
^I agree with Logan. What disregard for some classics? 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 05:37
^ I don't see any disregard for the classics but It looks like manipulation for new-releases to favour one artist but with all such things it is difficult to prove even if it is obvious to see.

HOWEVER....

Two accounts: Tommy_Jimmy and bobby_2586 - ratings posted from the same IP address, both give 5-stars to all Astra albums, similar email address - ergo they are the same person and this is definite ratings manipulation.

Both accounts suspended. Approve
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:05
^Good work DI Cracknell!

Edited by Snow Dog - April 24 2012 at 06:05
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:12
Clap
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:37
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ I don't see any disregard for the classics but It looks like manipulation for new-releases to favour one artist but with all such things it is difficult to prove even if it is obvious to see.

HOWEVER....

Two accounts: Tommy_Jimmy and bobby_2586 - ratings posted from the same IP address, both give 5-stars to all Astra albums, similar email address - ergo they are the same person and this is definite ratings manipulation.

I am happy to withdraw my previous comments.

Nice work InspectorClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:40
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

HOWEVER....

I am happy to withdraw my previous comments.

I don't. I can only judge on visible evidence. It is up to Admin to investigate further if they want and find further evidence.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:47
^ If someone is going to give 1-stars to the two albums above the album they gave 5-stars to in the top albums of 2012 chart (ie Weather Systems and Synthetic vs The Black Chord) then I'm calling that manipulation whether they've really heard the other two albums or not - I call that "obvious" because it is. If I can prove it is manipulation then the ratings are toast, if I can't then it stays.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:50

^ If someone is going to give 1-stars to the two albums above the album they gave 5-stars to in the top albums of 2012 chart (ie Weather Systems and Synthetic vs The Black Chord) then I'm calling that manipulation whether they've really heard the other two albums or not - I call that "obvious" because it is. If I can prove it is manipulation then the ratings are toast, if I can't then it stays.

I actually didn't look at the  chart and how it affects things.My bad.

I was just looking at the list posted. There is no evidence of year or anything untoward.

Edited by Snow Dog - April 24 2012 at 06:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 282>