Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 282>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 09:24
^I like your review.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 09:33
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ Agreed, but since when did 'meh' qualify as analysis?Wink If you were able to offer the positivity you afford to the title track commensurately for those you care less for, it may well have been a blinding review. Just put a bit more flesh on the bones and you'll be halfway there.

BTW for me Sailors Tale is the only redeeming track on the albumEmbarrassed

Alright, I'm trying to do better. Remember, I've only been writing these for a little over a month.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 11:51
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Maybe mine is being singled out because people here love motW? If it makes you feel any better, I bet you my review will actually generate MORE interest in the album.

You really gotta stop going into this.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 11:58

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I honestly do not see the problem as wrong as it is the author's own work. 

The problem arises because the majority of volunteer based web sites who publish member submissions are granted an irrevocable licence over such materials i.e. the author does NOT own his/her work - the act of submitting a review for example, grants ProgArchives an exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sub licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such ratings, reviews and comments throughout the world in any media, whether now known or hereafter developed

I'm sure that both of us would agree that the foregoing is pretty thorough.

A lot of my reviews were ones I originally wrote for my music blog, then posted on PA in order to share my thoughts with people who would otherwise not see them. I never realized that would be a problem, but if this is the policy of the site, it makes me less likely to review in the future.

I would have thought the goal would be having as many reviews as possible in order to best serve people trying to determine whether they will like a particular album, not to amass intellectual property and prevent it from being seen elsewhere.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:28
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

The problem arises because the majority of volunteer based web sites who publish member submissions are granted an irrevocable licence over such materials i.e. the author does NOT own his/her work - the act of submitting a review for example, grants ProgArchives an exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sub licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such ratings, reviews and comments throughout the world in any media, whether now known or hereafter developed

A lot of my reviews were ones I originally wrote for my music blog, then posted on PA in order to share my thoughts with people who would otherwise not see them. I never realized that would be a problem, but if this is the policy of the site, it makes me less likely to review in the future.

I would have thought the goal would be having as many reviews as possible in order to best serve people trying to determine whether they will like a particular album, not to amass intellectual property and prevent it from being seen elsewhere.
I would think a personal blog wouldn't pose a problem, that it's a different situation than a shared review between two music sites, but I'm interested to see what the answer to this will be too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:34
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Maybe mine is being singled out because people here love motW? If it makes you feel any better, I bet you my review will actually generate MORE interest in the album.

You really gotta stop going into this.
Besides, yours was singled out probably because you actually mentioned in the review that it had been previously published elsewhere.  Other such examples usually don't make that piece of info known.  Personally, I think it was the responsible thing to do, for you to "footnote" the review like that, but apparently reproducing (in full) previously published material of any kind poses problems.  News to me, but that's how it is.

Personally, I thought your review was a pretty creative approach. I'm not sure I'd extract a "one star" value out of it, but that's your choice.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:41
To my knowledge we've never enforced any exclusivity on any reviews published here, nor have we ever taken down a review that was published elsewhere unless a direct accusation of plagiarism was made against it (and found to be true). To date no other site has objected about a review being cross-posted on this site.

However, since PA and MMA are sister sites it seems wrong to me to spam the same review on both sites - that is unecessary and seems to serve no other purpose but to purely to bump up the reviewers review count.

Personally I would prefer some degree of diferentiation between a review published on a Metal site to one published on this (or any other Progressive Rock) site even for the same album as reviewed by the same person. For example should I ever be motivated to write a review for My Dying Bride's For Lies I Sire for MMA it would get a different review and rating as a Doom Metal album than I would give it here as a Tech/Extreme Prog Metal album because here the review should be biased towards what makes it a good/bad/indifferent Tech/Extreme Prog Metal album rather than what makes it a good/bad/indifferent Doom Metal album. Just as if you read the reviews on Planet Mellotron they all have a bias towards albums that use the mellotron and they rate them accordingly.

What?
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:43
I've seen other reviews where the authors have mentioned the review being posted elsewhere, and I've never heard of there being a problem with that.  I really don't see a reason why this one should be singled out when the practice has been allowed for this long.  Dean already said that there was nothing intrinsically wrong with it, and it's not "self-promotion," either, it's taking something you wrote for another site and sharing it with this one.

I love motW, but I thought the review was quite humorous and enjoyed it.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:47
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

To my knowledge we've never enforced any exclusivity on any reviews published here, nor have we ever taken down a review that was published elsewhere unless a direct accusation of plagiarism was made against it (and found to be true). To date no other site has objected about a review being cross-posted on this site.

However, since PA and MMA are sister sites it seems wrong to me to spam the same review on both sites - that is unecessary and seems to serve no other purpose but to purely to bump up the reviewers review count.

Personally I would prefer some degree of diferentiation between a review published on a Metal site to one published on this (or any other Progressive Rock) site even for the same album as reviewed by the same person. For example should I ever be motivated to write a review for My Dying Bride's For Lies I Sire for MMA it would get a different review and rating as a Doom Metal album than I would give it here as a Tech/Extreme Prog Metal album because here the review should be biased towards what makes it a good/bad/indifferent Tech/Extreme Prog Metal album rather than what makes it a good/bad/indifferent Doom Metal album. Just as if you read the reviews on Planet Mellotron they all have a bias towards albums that use the mellotron and they rate them accordingly.

Some people on PA (like me) rarely visit MMA, and some people on MMA rarely visit PA.  So if you want the review to be read, it makes sense to post it in both places.  I see no way in which that qualifies as "spam."

I prefer to evaluate albums based upon their own merit, rather than their relation to a particular genre, so if I published a review on a metal site it would be almost the same as a review for the same album on a prog site.  That's a matter of the individual reviewer's preference, but you can't judge others for taking a different approach than the one you advocate.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 14:17
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Some people on PA (like me) rarely visit MMA, and some people on MMA rarely visit PA.  So if you want the review to be read, it makes sense to post it in both places.  I see no way in which that qualifies as "spam."
I didn't call it spam - I called the act of cross-posting as spamming

I prefer to evaluate albums based upon their own merit, rather than their relation to a particular genre, so if I published a review on a metal site it would be almost the same as a review for the same album on a prog site.  That's a matter of the individual reviewer's preference, but you can't judge others for taking a different approach than the one you advocate.
Of course I can, by simply following the rating guide for both sites I can see an obvious distinction between an "Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection"  and an "Excellent addition to any metal music collection", However I do appreciate that many reviewers have their own ratings system and definitions that we are supposed to guess at.
What?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 14:26

I didn't call it spam - I called the act of cross-posting as spamming

Of course I can, by simply following the rating guide for both sites I can see an obvious distinction between an "Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection"  and an "Excellent addition to any metal music collection", However I do appreciate that many reviewers have their own ratings system and definitions that we are supposed to guess at.
This is true.  Each user pretty much has their own ratings system to what that means.  How else can the same album have both 1-star and 5-star ratings.  Based on M@x's definitions this is fairly impossible.  1s and 5s should be extremely rare and kind of come about when the belief is kind of universally held, which to my knowledge is pretty impossible within the extremes of how all of us think.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 18:36
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I'm only quoting the rights applicable to materials posted on this site for our member's information. The implementation of those rights is at the discretion of the site owner but NOT the avowed goal of the site and no-one has ever stated as much.
I'm therefore puzzled and disappointed as to why you have jumped to such a conclusion?Stern Smile
Like Dean has said, we are not in the habit of removing reviews because they also appear on other sites. That would be counter productive to encouraging reviews and I like to think everyone else understands that.
To the letter of the law the site owner COULD attempt to prevent publication elsewhere but in reality this would be both impractical and difficult to enforce plus it would be detrimental to PA's aim of being AdTech Adthe most complete and powerful progressive rock resource innit?

JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 03:31

If you're going to start taking down reposted reviews, mine is not the only one you will have to take down:
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=299309

EDIT: That's just one example by the way.

I only mentioned it because it had the potential to be a contraversial review, not because it's a bad one. Not at all, it's a fantastic bit of prose and excellently written. Just the extreme low rating (which is fine if you actually just hated the music) and the way in which your points were made were a bit confusing to the average reader. They might have more than a little trouble finding the review inside the story that's all.

If the consensus is that the review, and the style of the review is legitimate then great. It's one of the best ways of tackling a review I've seen thus far on this site.

Edited by JS19 - July 21 2012 at 03:32
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 06:02
^have to  admit, one star is a bit harsh. Seems like  a reaction rating.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 07:29

Fair enough - but why isn't this discussion being had over the fact that there are so many 5 star ratings for this album?  Is this strange piece of weirdness REALLY a necessary piece of EVERY Prog lover's collection?  Or is it something that more adventurous people should try out and those just getting into Prog should stay away from until they've become more acquainted?  Maybe the PA admins should start telling people all over the site that their ratings are inappropriate? Wink

(I'm not serious.)

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 07:45

Fair enough - but why isn't this discussion being had over the fact that there are so many 5 star ratings for this album?  Is this strange piece of weirdness REALLY a necessary piece of EVERY Prog lover's collection?  Or is it something that more adventurous people should try out and those just getting into Prog should stay away from until they've become more acquainted?  Maybe the PA admins should start telling people all over the site that their ratings are inappropriate? Wink

(I'm not serious.)

Is your 1 star rating a retaliation for all the 5-star ratings - yes or no?

(I'm moderately serious)
What?
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 08:19

(I'm not serious.)

(I'm moderately serious)

My 1 star was based primarily on the fact that I did not enjoy the album (I was creeped out by it) and will probably never listen to it again, and as such I would want my readers to see a negative reaction.  A neutral 3 star just would not cut it for me in this case.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 08:33

(I'm not serious.)

(I'm moderately serious)

My 1 star was based primarily on the fact that I did not enjoy the album (I was creeped out by it) and will probably never listen to it again, and as such I would want my readers to see a negative reaction.  A neutral 3 star just would not cut it for me in this case.
That's good to know - after your experience with Part The Second I'm impressed by your determination and resolve to give them one more chance at impressing you, even if it was in vane - this tends to suggest that leaving Your Body Map is one you should avoid like the plague now.
What?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 12:36
Some pre-release ratings-only for the new Beardfish album that isn't being released until August 28th.

http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=38627
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 15:50
^ It will last until the end of this site.

It seems I've found a cure for lovers of early additions. Here it is Smile:

French invention I guess.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 282>