Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 205206207208209 282>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 04:20
^ it can't be slander if its true, but yes, unsubstantiated speculation about the sexual orientation of the artist re the merit of any music is clearly w.a.n.k.y.n.e.s.s aforethought. It's a bizarre review though, as he gives 'Raven' 5 stars and praises Wilson (sincerely) to the heavens. he also fails to trash Storm Corrosion (3 stars) Might just be a really lame attempt at humour or trying to court controversy?
From his Storm Corrosion review:

We all saw this project coming. We all know that Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt are basically a gay couple...musically of course.

I agree the 'gay lover' part should be edited or delete.

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 17 2013 at 04:34
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 06:17
Artist's sexual preferences as any other personal thing are relevant only when they are reflected in their artistic production. I would fire that review.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Tubes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 13:42
Artist's sexual preferences as any other personal thing are relevant all the time because that is a big component of anyone's personality and will be reflected in their music, of course. I'm pretty sure it was intended as joke, anyway, but either way, don't be hating on homophobes. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 14:03
...and today's nomination for most ignorant comment of the month is:
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

Artist's sexual preferences as any other personal thing are relevant all the time because that is a big component of anyone's personality and will be reflected in their music, of course. I'm pretty sure it was intended as joke, anyway, but either way, don't be hating on homophobes. 
What?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 15:42
Originally posted by Tubes Tubes wrote:

Not always and even when they are it's not always relevant. Imagine if Edgar Froese was gay (he may be or not, I surely don't care), how can this be reflected in Phaedra, Rubycon or Alpha Centauri? After your campaign against Gentle Giant I think you are having fun by provoking. It may be a funny joke but it has to be done with a bit of intelligence that I think you are not showing. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 09:40
Maybe some trolling or just rating abuse on the new Phideaux album still in post production

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 02:09
I don't know if ignorance, inaccuracy and inconsistency are good enough reasons for reporting a review but this one of Going For The One gets a prize, unless its meant to be a joke:

"The title track is very rocky and mellow (?) with some fine slide playing from Geoffrey Howe"

"Turn of The Century has some lovely aggressive  (?) vocals by Ian Anderson"

"Wondrous Stories is very Nicola-ish in its simplicity, moving backing vocals from Crisp Squire and Steve Hackett"

"Awaken, probably the best song that the band has ever written, although it is not as good as "Gates Of Delirium" "Close To The Edge"and all of "The Yes Album"  Confused LOL

"The ony thing i don't like about this song is the church organ because it reminds me of funerals and Chrissy Parslow in particular. Aside from that i love the rest of it - A particular favourite section of mine is where Richard Wakeman gets all dramatic on the church organ Cry LOL Cry LOL

Edited by Gerinski - May 01 2013 at 03:22
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 02:19
^ It's like one of those spam threads we get for carpeting 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 03:00
Looks like an "automatic reviewer". My compliments to the developer.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 03:18
Really? The intentional humour in there is pretty clear to see, though not that funny. Obviously written by a Brit of a certain age.

What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 03:48
I love Faulty Towers, Allo Allo, George and Mildred, Keeping Up Appearances, Monthy Pyton and Little Britain, but I guess that this specific sort of British humour is beyond my abilities.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Really? The intentional humour in there is pretty clear to see, though not that funny. Obviously written by a Brit of a certain age.

I don't get that humour but I'm not British. I think that taking some random pieces of sentences from other reviews, reading the band lineup and the track titles from the album page could be enough to give the input to a program.
Of course a program wouldn't say "Ian" instead of "Jon", but may rename "Rick" into "Richard".
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:24
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I don't get that humour but I'm not British. I think that taking some random pieces of sentences from other reviews, reading the band lineup and the track titles from the album page could be enough to give the input to a program.
Of course a program wouldn't say "Ian" instead of "Jon", but may rename "Rick" into "Richard".
And Geoffery Howe?

What?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:29

And Geoffery Howe?

That's mysterious effectively, There has been a Geoff in a Yes album, if the program reads a database Geoff may come from Drama.
However I'm joking at least as the reviewer, but the idea of a program writing reviews is intriguing
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:35

And Geoffery Howe?

That's mysterious effectively, There has been a Geoff in a Yes album, if the program reads a database Geoff may come from Drama.
However I'm joking at least as the reviewer, but the idea of a program writing reviews is intriguing
Geoffrey Howe was Chancellor of the Exchequer (and various other Govt posts) during the reign of Margret Thatcher, he was often a figure of ridicule on the satirical TV programme Spitting Image - the reviewer is punning with the names, hence Chrisp Squire, Ian Anderson and Steve Hackett.
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:23
Yes, but who is Colin James?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:26
I don't understand Nicola'ish, too.

Wikipedia says:

James was born in Regina, Saskatchewan. He and his band The Hoodoo Men opened for Stevie Ray Vaughan for several tour dates in the United States. According to legend, Vaughan himself suggested the stage name "Colin James", because when announced over arena P.A. systems, "Munn" sounded like "Mud". James also played guitar on Richard Marx's song "Thunder and Lightning".

This is his website

I'm currently listening to Camel, so I wouldn't switch them off to listen to Colin James's samples
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:30
Colin Powell + Henry James = Colin James

Triceratopsoil(Colin) + James Dean = Colin James

Colin James + Colin James = 0 (Time space continuum)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 07:44
At any rate, it seems it was his first review, if he will feed this kind of reviews into the site he may get some Brits to laugh but he may create some serious confusion for other users! At least the rating itself was fair.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 08:24
I don't really know the album, but does the title cut have slide guitar?
Are wild inaccuracies enough reason to delete a review or has this reviewer circumvented the rules by writing almost total nonsense?  In any case, it looks pretty bad on the site and will also confuse people.  The writer should start their own site for referential prog reviews rather than piggyback here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 205206207208209 282>