Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 282>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toddbashee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 14:29
Your website has become one of the most useful and enjoyable resources in my daily computer life.  I'm just having some problems with reviews such as this one of Spock's Beard's Brief Nocturnes....

I like good use of language, but I'm not a snob and I'm not mean. but when a "review" consists of both completely illiterate writing, AND an absence of information and insight, I feel like my time has been wasted and the value of the website has been diminished. 

Is there some minimal moderator activity that can be used in order to make sure that a basic standard of communication quality has been met?  Good-enough use of language so that ideas are communicated, and the presence of some observation, insight, perspective, etc, that would guide a reader in the choice of what to purchase.  

This alarm bell has been going off in my head more and more lately.  I don't think it is all me

Thanks for considering my comments, and for the huge effort that has gone into creating this resource and this musical community.

TB-i M.Eb
Just Like the Kind Mom Used to Make
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 19:16
^ I assume you mean this review:

Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep by SPOCKS BEARD album cover Studio Album, 2013
3.94 | 233 ratings

BUY
Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
Spock's Beard Symphonic Prog

Review by robbob

3 stars Time to turn?

It seems so.

Until X we had the traditional modern us symphonic prog rock ...still with Neal Morse impromptu

But now ...an important change in vocals participation...

Ex Enchant voice is good ...and Enchant was quite a good heavy prog band...but...

It seem Enchant ...and in a little less matter ...Darwin s Radio ..was imported..

So then this band is not yet one of the most important symphonic prog rock bands of the us..

This is no more symphonic prog ...this is a heavy prog rock band in the line of Enchant and Darwin s Radio...

I really didn, t like so much this changes...

3 stars

Send comments to robbob | Report this review (#963820)
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 10:31 EST | Review Permalink | Submit a review for this album

I think it's valid even if not very informative. We have members from all over the world and most of them are not English native speakers (in this particular case the author of the review is from Chile) so their English command may be limited. But that does not mean we should prevent them from expressing their views!

Edited by Tuzvihar - May 22 2013 at 19:22
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 19:47
Originally posted by toddbashee toddbashee wrote:

Is there some minimal moderator activity that can be used in order to make sure that a basic standard of communication quality has been met?  Good-enough use of language so that ideas are communicated, and the presence of some observation, insight, perspective, etc, that would guide a reader in the choice of what to purchase.  
This alarm bell has been going off in my head more and more lately.  I don't think it is all me

Thanks for considering my comments, and for the huge effort that has gone into creating this resource and this musical community.

It's been discussed in the past a good amount and the feelings you express are felt by many members and collabs.  The answer, which I support, is usually something like 'If it's a decently written review in English and doesn't violate any site rules, it stays".

That may seem overly tolerant or even detrimental, but what must be remembered is that this is a public platform for reviewing Prog.   That is the heart of the site, or at least the backbone; the ability for any member to instantly publish a write-up.   It has pitfalls to be sure, but no more than a democratic society with normal social problems.

If Admin decide the review in question should go or the member PM'd and told they should edit it, that's fine.   I frankly think the review is absolutely fine as it is, and further, it shows excellent writing skills for a non-native writer of English.

bonestorm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonestorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 17:44
I think that review is fine.  The English is broken but the reviewer still conveys the basic ideas ok.  This is not a professional review site, it's a community, and we're going to have varying levels of ability across our reviewers.
Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claugroi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 20:43
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=868870

This review seems quite inappropriate to me. Giving a one-star rating (as well as a 5-star one) is a huge responsability and something that must be done with conscience. The reviewer doesn't seem to do it with responsability. It looks as though he was angry with the album (and/or the band) and with the site and just did the first thing that came to his furious mind. He even states "I don't care about YES".

Appart from this, he also supports his whole review based on a Hackett quote and criticises quite harshly Prog Archives for something that is rather subjective, merely his individual opinion.

Please, people, read the whole review clicking on the link and judge by yourselves.

Thanks.
Symphonic Prog Master
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 21:38
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=868870

This review seems quite inappropriate to me. <span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Giving a one-star rating (as well as a 5-star one) is a huge responsability and something that must be done with conscience. The reviewer doesn't seem to do it with responsability. It looks as though he was angry with the album (and/or the band) and with the site and just did the first thing that came to his furious mind. </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">He even states "</span><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">I don't care about YES".</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"></span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Appart from this, he also supports his whole review based on a Hackett quote and criticises quite harshly Prog Archives for something that is rather subjective, merely his individual opinion.</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"></span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Please, people, read the whole review clicking on the link and judge by yourselves.</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Thanks.</span>

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, however I too agree with Claugroi above. In my opinion too, this is certainly not a review, it says nothing about the album itself, the music in terms of its concept thus instrumentals, vocals or lyrics. My perception of any review is to describe in an articulate manner how the album might sound to the reader or prospect buyer (or to oneself in terms of personal taste, again in an articulate manner), depending on its purpose it may be bias or objective. This one clearly cannot be considered a review, which obviously does not describe the album.
This new album is not a favourite of mine either, plus I can’t get beyond the fact that John Anderson is not singing on it, however it is certainly prog. Not my fav album of theirs however - The Man You Always Wanted me to Be is a great track none-the-less.
hugs to everyone
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 23:39
As "at least one full prog album qualifies" the sentence about "albums which shouldn't be on the archives" is wrong. The review doesn't say much about the album itself and it's not much different from my first deleted one, years ago. Writing "it stinks" is not reviewing. Personally I'd PM him asking to rewrite it while the rating is maintained as rating only.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
PaulH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 13:49
For the album "Un Milione di Voci" by the band Periferia Del Mondo, the band itself has posted an "auto-review" (whatever that is?) with a 4 star rating.  If I'm reading things right, it is review #32198 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=32198).

I'm not arguing against the rating, but it seems inappropriate to me for a band to post a review of their own album, and for any sort of "auto-reviews" to be generated.  Reading this specific "review," it really seems to me to be just a promotional posting.

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 14:56
^ It's from 2004!!
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 13:38
There is a review double posted on Nemo's Si Pt. 1:
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=216594 is a copy of this review from the same person:
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 02:53
And this is a very poor review:
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=101183
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2013 at 13:07
ProgShine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgShine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 04:15
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

nothing about music here...

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=986750

https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 08:44
Originally posted by ProgShine ProgShine wrote:

Not really...

The best song is "luminol": the song starts very quickly and impulsive, after 4 minutes it changes in great melancholic part, then the song creates a complex structure before it ends with a perfect round-off. Twelve minutes of a great music explosion. 
ProgShine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgShine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 10:24
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Not really...

The best song is "luminol": the song starts very quickly and impulsive, after 4 minutes it changes in great melancholic part, then the song creates a complex structure before it ends with a perfect round-off. Twelve minutes of a great music explosion. 

A 5 stars review because of one song? Or is it because is SW? Then is ok?
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 10:28

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Not really...

A 5 stars review because of one song? Or is it because is SW? Then is ok?

nothing about music here... Almost the same here:

I don't comment the rating, only the sentence. Personally I have never heard that album.

Cosmik Debris View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmik Debris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 14:24
This is the most distasteful review I have ever read in PA. The writer seems not  properly lıstened to the NEMRUD's new Ritual album or have not even bought it. There is no musical critisism but some other purpose between the lines. Yes nobody is expected to like every new release but we must all  pay to learn some respect to other peoples likes and tastes. The writer of this specific review does not respect other reviewers comments eighter and even goes further to tell me to buy the album or not.  Who are you baby?  I am sorry to see that such characters are occupying PA pages. This guy is nothing but pathetic. Both NEMRUD albums are excellent and at least four star albums.  
gen77c View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen77c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 14:36
I agree, it seems like it was written just to antagonize. I heard the album yesterday and rated it 5. At most I would believe a 3 star rating.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 14:36
^ The review he is referencing.. http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=997108

1 stars I strongly disagree with what I have to read on this page, but such is the fate of music: It is all a matter of tastes.

To be precise: In contrast to other writers, I cannot find any memorable passages. I can find many passages that remind me of very obvious predecessors, and when I want to listen to those, I will gladly take a cd out of my shelf and let my cd player do its job.

What is considered as "spacey" seems to be a rather cheap array of keyboard presets and overly clicheridden guitar effects. These passages are in no way motivated and come across as fillers. They aim at mass popularity in the Pink Floyd department. No, this is not how to do it, people.

The sound is, also, not reminiscent of the 70ies, it is a cheap copy of long overcome times. People, the times have been a-changing for quite some, uh, time! We have heard this kind of arrangements over and over (and over) again in so many attempts that, to be honest, are a lot superior to these whimpy nostalgic toneworks...

So, there may be people who get the impression that these reviews may all have come from, let's say, a very fanboyish following of the band... Maybe one should take it with a lot more grains of salt. To me, at least, this is simply extremely boring and in no way well-produced. Nope. Don't buy this (pun intended...),

----

Sorry Cosmik, but there isn't anything wrong with this review. I can tell you enjoy the album, but he gives support and gives plenty of musical criticism. He isn't slandering any reviewers or being very disrespectful in a way that could deserve deleting of the review. Disagreeing with a review(er) will happen often, but that doesn't mean they are wrongful or deserve a report.

My opinion at least.

Welcome to PA's forums. 

Edited by Horizons - July 13 2013 at 14:38
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Horseradish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horseradish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 15:07
Maybe you should check this reviewer's profile and see if you can find any interesting patterns.

Hint: it's connected to a certain album, that has more 1 star ratings than 5 star, yet is somehow second on the list of top 2013 albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 282>