Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 282>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't see a problem in the folks who've been involved with X album chiming in to do a review - as long as it's clear who the person is. We've received some ninja reviews before from various band members posing as an old progger who'd just heard the finest piece of prog this side of 1976. 
As a matter of fact, I welcome reviews from people who've been involved with an album/band. Sometimes these can be highly interesting and welcome the average Joe into the very making of the record.
Yes, I remember a review, I think he was the drummer of Plat Du Jour, surprised to see his old one-shot band featured and receiving a lot of 5 stars reviews, so he has written the story of the album. Not a proper review, but a very interesting reading. This case is different, as it can be interpreted as a self-advertising, but as I've written before, the review itself doesn't break any rule IMO. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 10:52
Well it is self advertising and that is also quite obvious. If it hadn't been I would've reacted otherwise.
Anyway, I don't think this should lead to a new rule, because where exactly do you draw the line? Are band members allowed to rate their own music - their friends - or their friends' friends' bands? When is a person too involved to offer up an opinion? I'd say never as long as it's done in the open.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 26 2015 at 10:53
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 11:43
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't see a problem in the folks who've been involved with X album chiming in to do a review - as long as it's clear who the person is. We've received some ninja reviews before from various band members posing as an old progger who'd just heard the finest piece of prog this side of 1976. 
As a matter of fact, I welcome reviews from people who've been involved with an album/band. Sometimes these can be highly interesting and welcome the average Joe into the very making of the record.
Yes, I remember a review, I think he was the drummer of Plat Du Jour, surprised to see his old one-shot band featured and receiving a lot of 5 stars reviews, so he has written the story of the album. Not a proper review, but a very interesting reading. This case is different, as it can be interpreted as a self-advertising, but as I've written before, the review itself doesn't break any rule IMO. 
I remember that review, I think he gave the album 4 stars while most people gave it 5, I remember thinking he must have been too shy to give the full score.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:13
Originally posted by ProgShine ProgShine wrote:

Guys. Not treally sure what to make of this, but I don't think this is really nice.

This: http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=35522 is a profile from Nick Catonia, he's the main man on Melodic Revolution Records.

And he reviewed one of the albums published by his own label... (a 5 stars review): http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1290271

How we deal with this kind of stuff?
Progshone, this has already been discussed on here.
Nick Catonia? has 30 plus bands who have produced many albums, many of them listed here on ProgArchives. He only ever reviewed one album and that is because, to him it is special. He did it openly. He has nothing to do with the band except that he sells a small percentage of their albums.
Hug to you, Hug
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 13:02
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Guys. Not treally sure what to make of this, but I don't think this is really nice.

This: http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=35522 is a profile from Nick Catonia, he's the main man on Melodic Revolution Records.

And he reviewed one of the albums published by his own label... (a 5 stars review): http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1290271

Nick Catonia? has 30 plus bands who have produced many albums, many of them listed here on ProgArchives. He only ever reviewed one album and that is because, to him it is special. He did it openly. He has nothing to do with the band except that he sells a small percentage of their albums.
Hug to you, Hug

Trouble is, Sonia, that there are more than a few who want people to register potential conflicts of interest. Note I said potential, not actual.

I am one of them. It is for that reason that every album I review where the album has been provided to me to review, I say so. If it doesn't say so, then the reader can be assured that I spent hard earned cash on it.

Nick is the man behind the label. I have no issue at all with him reviewing a mighty fine album. I do, though, think it might be better, certainly for the band, if he told the folks out there the interest he has, no matter how fleeting that might be.

A last word. Again, I have no issue whatsoever with bands looking to promote their works on this site. No issue whatsoever. It is, though, not an advertising site, but an archive
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 13:35

Not much of a review, but I've taken note of the info it provided. Wink
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 13:41
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Hug to you, Hug

Trouble is, Sonia, that there are more than a few who want people to register potential conflicts of interest. Note I said potential, not actual.

I am one of them. It is for that reason that every album I review where the album has been provided to me to review, I say so. If it doesn't say so, then the reader can be assured that I spent hard earned cash on it.

Nick is the man behind the label. I have no issue at all with him reviewing a mighty fine album. I do, though, think it might be better, certainly for the band, if he told the folks out there the interest he has, no matter how fleeting that might be.

A last word. Again, I have no issue whatsoever with bands looking to promote their works on this site. No issue whatsoever. It is, though, not an advertising site, but an archive
Lazland, hello! Hug
I do understand what you are saying, however in this case the reviewer mentioned above has many bands on here, two of these are listed on P.A. 2014 Album releases, he only reviewed one of them because he likes the album very much.

This album on PA has 214 ratings, 36 reviews (of which 17 reviews are from PA Collaborators). This fact alone makes it one of the most popular and balanced albums compared with all 2014 releases. 

Some love the album others don't but this is what makes music interesting.

More hugs Hug
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 13:45

I do understand what you are saying, however in this case the reviewer mentioned above has many bands on here, two of these are listed on P.A. 2014 Album releases, he only reviewed one of them because he likes the album very much.

I don't think anyone has a problem with him submitting a review; rather, I think lazland is asking for "full disclosure", a policy with which I am in favor.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 13:55
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I don't think anyone has a problem with him submitting a review; rather, I think lazland is asking for "full disclosure", a policy with which I am in favor.
ha! Patraic, he did on his PA profile, thus you want him to mention it inside the review too? That is positive for him too but wouldn't this be perceived as label advertisement?

He did write a very detailed review, track by track.

Hug Hug
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 14:25

ha! Patraic, he did on his PA profile, thus you want him to mention it inside the review too?

Yes, I do.  That information should be right up front.

That is positive for him too but wouldn't this be perceived as label advertisement?

Possibly, but at least everything is out in the open - I think that's less of a problem.

The quality of the review is absolutely not the issue here.

Hug Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 15:09

ha! Patraic, he did on his PA profile, thus you want him to mention it inside the review too?

Yes, I do.  That information should be right up front.

That is positive for him too but wouldn't this be perceived as label advertisement?

Possibly, but at least everything is out in the open - I think that's less of a problem.

The quality of the review is absolutely not the issue here.

Hug Hug

These are all trivial things and should not really matter. A fan joining PA in signing up on a real profile (regardless who they are) posting a detailed review of an album that he really likes on PA and leaving should be considered great for any related site.  

Meanwhile unfortunately there is concern that there are those who join with a fake profile, rate a few albums very low on purpose while scoring 5 stars to one single album.     

On an interesting note, the band referenced have not shared that review, they have however shared Tarcisio Moura’s  review (among many other PA Collab/Prog Reviewers reviews too) who did not give them 5 stars and instead gave them a really great 4 star review. His review shared by the band from PA alone got 60 fb likes on PA! Not many bands have as many fb likes on PA for a single review.

Here is Tarcisio’s review: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1301190

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 15:23
Nothing wrong with the review, he should have declared his conflict of interest in the opening lines of the review.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 15:34

These are all trivial things and should not really matter.

Well, if that's your opinion I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 21:09

Ok if this is a big deal I suggest you guys msg the reviewer not the band, it's not their fault and yes we agree to disagree here. I am not going to inform the band of this, enough negativity and I wish them to be happy.
This band has had their share of negative reviews, some negative ones seem fair and others are blatant lies and I have to say that one is from one of your fellow brethren collab's. The band did not report it because they told me that this happens in the music industry and one should rather focus on the positive. I know (this is my point of view and thinking) they thought it would be pointless and make it worse as it obviously would bring a negative backlash to them. I can see why they would think such thing.
Collabs make mistakes too, they should know better compared to a person who is a new member and wrote one single review with a real profile also is allowed to be overlooked in this case. Confused
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 22:40

Ok if this is a big deal I suggest you guys msg the reviewer not the band, it's not their fault and yes we agree to disagree here. I am not going to inform the band of this, enough negativity and I wish them to be happy.
This band has had their share of negative reviews, some negative ones seem fair and others are blatant lies and I have to say that one is from one of your fellow brethren collab's. The band did not report it because they told me that this happens in the music industry and one should rather focus on the positive. I know (this is my point of view and thinking) they thought it would be pointless and make it worse as it obviously would bring a negative backlash to them. I can see why they would think such thing.
Collabs make mistakes too, they should know better compared to a person who is a new member and wrote one single review with a real profile also is allowed to be overlooked in this case. Confused

Yes the thin veil of cyberspace threatens this very species......FB was down yesterday and it made headline news afround the world. Let bands or their brethren punt away. The bias expressed in review ratings is short lived as true time dictates the real rating....No matter, no fuss where intentions seem good. I do enjoy the PA guardians though, they also are to be admired for holding up values whether perceived overkill or not....Hug
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 22:44
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Yes the thin veil of cyberspace threatens this very species......FB was down yesterday and it made headline news afround the world. Let bands or their brethren punt away. The bias expressed in review ratings is short lived as true time dictates the real rating....No matter, no fuss where intentions seem good. I do enjoy the PA guardians though, they also are to be admired for holding up values whether perceived overkill or not....Hug
I love and second everything you said Chris S HugClap
Inc. what you said about PA Grumpy Guardians Big smile more hugs Hug

Edited by Kati - January 27 2015 at 22:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 13:32
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Well?
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 15:30

Well?

We must have missed this one, sorry. I've taken care of it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 05:08
Thumbs Up
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 21:53
I'd like to chime in in favour of full disclosure.  I don't think full disclosure is a big deal actually.  I disclosed my friendship with the songwriter of Rainburn in my review, not so much because I am a friend but because I had heard the rough cuts of the songs long before and given feedback.  Rather than self declaring my impartiality, I'd leave it to the reader to decide if I am detached enough to be able to review.  Not wanting and resisting full disclosure is what arouses more suspicion imo.  Also I can understand an adolescent still in college not being aware of full disclosure and finding it a nuisance but I would certainly expect a producer or a record label owner to understand the implications.  I am not going to demand for it to be imposed but I certainly do think full disclosure adds more integrity to the review.

Edited by rogerthat - January 31 2015 at 21:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 282>