Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 282>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 15:38
What about giving zero weight to ratings in case the album has less that 10 reviews in total (collabs or not)?

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 15:49
I was thinking more like five or less ratings if feasible (especially if it has at least one rating with review) , but sure....  The devil is in the details.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 15:51
Guys, guys, guys! This thread is for reviews reporting not for discussion.

Smile
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 15:52
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

This is a rock music history lecture, not a review:

The Silent Sun / Thats Me by GENESIS album cover Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, 1968
3.00 | 27 ratings

BUY
The Silent Sun / That's Me
Genesis Symphonic Prog

Review by RINLEW

4 stars THE SILENT SUN and THAT'S ME were written in 1967.

This year was a crucial turning point in the sixties. Before 1967 rock was simpler, naive, accessible, radio and dance oriented.... but in 1967 (thanks to the Beatles/George Martin's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band) rock began to incorporate other 'sounds' like, for instance, music from India, jazz, folk, etc.... but primarily: classical music. Different styles were absorbed and thrown into an imaginary blender: the end result was a new type of rock that became known as psychedelic rock.

British psychedelia toyed with orchestras, sometimes using very big ones to create very little sounds. The new generation of groups messed with noises, sound effects, voices, reversed tapes, long improvised guitar solos, reversed guitar solos, free form music, reverberation, delays and a multitude of other stereo effects. The recording studio became an instrument itself. The sound of the electric guitars was distorted with feedback and with the (then) recently created fuzz boxes. Before 1967 the instruments used by the British invasion bands were guitars, bass and drums. After 1967 the use of unusual instrumentation became the norm: sitar, tabla (plus other Indian instruments), electric organ, violin, violoncello, flute, harpsichord, oboe, harp, strings, brass, etc.... Musicians were fuelled by LSD, so their music had to sound like a drug experience too.

Suddenly classical music (once the cheesy sound of our parents - the (then) mocked older generation) was now hip and an integral part of UK's new rock. The Beatles had already given the signal in 1965 with their hit 'Yesterday': instead of guitars, there was a string quartet playing the classical flavored arrangement written by George Martin. Even the dirty Rolling Stones joined with a similar treatment for 'As Tears Go By'.

Before 1967 rock was the cry from the streets. Now a lot of middle-class kids who had studied in good schools, who had studied music and knew the classics were able to apply them to rock and roll. In 1967 the standards of British rock were raised, the frontiers were broaden. British psychedelia gave birth to bands led by kids who were highly trained and were able to play very well their instruments: Keith Emerson (The Nice ' later ELP), Hugh Banton (Van Der Graaf), Tony Banks and Anthony Phillips (Genesis), Robert Fripp (Giles, Giles & Fripp - later King Crimson), Rick Wakeman, etc.... Groups which had classical or avant-garde leanings appeared (Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Pink Floyd, amongst others).

On the other side of the Atlantic, USA was also immersed in psychedelia, but their hippie- acid-rock was more crude and raw than its English counterpart: each country tended to lean towards its roots. In the case of American rock, it was Blues or Country. But these 2 styles were not a tradition in UK, so while American rock leaned towards them, English rock leaned towards classical music. It was their past, their European musical origin.

In 1967 it seemed that rock had reached its highest creative point.... But no: gradually it continued to evolve and within a year or two it had morphed into an even more complex type of music, which came to be known as Progressive Rock. But its seeds were sown in 1967.

Send comments to RINLEW | Report this review (#730086)
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012, 09:20 EST | Review Permalink | Submit a review for this album

BUMP!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 16:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was thinking more like five or less ratings if feasible (especially if it has at least one rating with review) , but sure....  The devil is in the details.

But then you don't change anything for the albums who do have more than 5 ratings, abusers can still rate them, and few times from different accounts.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 16:32
^^ I see your bump and raise it.  Sorry, we should be discussing this in the discussion thread, but it ican be so unwieldy responding to comments made here there.

Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

But then you don't change anything for the albums who do have more than 5 ratings, abusers can still rate them, and few times from different accounts.

One would not allow ratings without reviews to be factored into the album ranking and average rating value of albums with more than a few ratings.  I mentioned it in my earlier post as a corollary to the idea of not allow ratings-only have any weight in the average rating value and/or ranking because when an album particularly has only ratings without reviews, I think it can add some eye-value to the discography page, and one can better find the album in some cases using the top lists  with a refined search, since albums without ratings no longer show up there.

After adding a discography, sometimes I have liked to rate a few albums to indicate the ones that I think would be of most interest to people who check out the addition.  I don't know how feasible an idea it is, and was just a thought.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 02:48
But what do you think about my idea, any comments?
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 06:15
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 07:14
^ wow, what a waste of time that review was. Definitely poor form
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 09:20
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Shocking review that openly rambles on to get to 100 words. Nuke it!
alinux View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 10:48
Hello All,

This time this user and very 

DELUSION SQUARED oriented stargiving.

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=31731

He gives:

1 STAR to KOTEBEL, because it's above DS.
2 STARS to PROFUSION because it's under.
3 STARS to IOEARTH because it's not a "danger" anymore....

Really disgusting!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:51
Ah well the ratings here are not making much of a diff but this smells like ratings manip again
alinux View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 12:06
Yeah, it's definitely ratings manipulation!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 14:44
Originally posted by alinux alinux wrote:

Really disgusting!

Yeah, Alcest's latest is a solid 4

Wink

Edited by Triceratopsoil - April 20 2012 at 14:45
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 16:34
Just want to say, i think its a great idear, to make ratings only not count at all. Thats from someone who have a lot more ratings than reviews. The only thing that matters is to get the system back on track, and its clear that new releases are manipulated way too easy as it is. 
Its a lot better than a total ban on ratings only, as mentioned they still show what you think of the albums, even though they dont count in the overall rating. 

On a side note : Got this great idear for a new signature today :
"That was all I had to say but I guess I had better get my self up to that 100 word minimum so here I go rambling and rambling, take that system. Rambling and Rambling."

Edited by tamijo - April 20 2012 at 16:35
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 16:55

Gone
Dougie of Anubis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dougie of Anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 02:27
The following review is stolen from a mediamikes.com review of Hemina's album:
http://www.mediamikes.com/2012/02/cd-review-hemina-synthetic/

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=733469

The reviewer's profile says he is from France and has voted up French band Delusion squared and voted down all other band releases this year.

I don't mean to be sour but this is a but rough.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 06:03
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

other languages are not allowed, so I'll deal with that Spanish review a bit later, thanks for reporting.
Gone
Thumbs Up
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 06:50
Originally posted by Dougie of Anubis Dougie of Anubis wrote:

The following review is stolen from a mediamikes.com review of Hemina's album:
http://www.mediamikes.com/2012/02/cd-review-hemina-synthetic/

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=733469

The reviewer's profile says he is from France and has voted up French band Delusion squared and voted down all other band releases this year.

I don't mean to be sour but this is a but rough.

Thanks for the report, it's now dealt with.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 07:45

Gone

ClapNukeNukeNukeClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 282>