Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189190191 282>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 17:21
^ SortedThumbs Up
1970sgenesisfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970sgenesisfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 11:43
This review looks like it was put through Google Translate. Could you check it out?

Thanks.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 11:48
I have pasted the review into google translate and in Italian it sounds worse than in English. If it's a translation it's not from Lor68's home language, and this is quite unlikely, I think.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 15:31
Originally posted by 1970sgenesisfan 1970sgenesisfan wrote:

This review looks like it was put through Google Translate. Could you check it out?

Thanks.

Lorenzo's reviews are normally excellent (hence the PR status) so it's a bit puzzling certainly.
I've sent him a PM suggesting that translation tools ain't doing his prose justice.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 21:40
Very little actual content, pretty much the lineup and the rest, well..

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=740223

smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 22:36
/\ At the end it clearly states that I know it was a half assed review!
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 22:43
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

/\ At the end it clearly states that I know it was a half assed review!

That doesn't make it any better.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 22:44
It's not that bad
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 05:16
^ Agreed, but since when did 'meh' qualify as analysis?Wink If you were able to offer the positivity you afford to the title track commensurately for those you care less for, it may well have been a blinding review. Just put a bit more flesh on the bones and you'll be halfway there.

BTW for me Sailors Tale is the only redeeming track on the albumEmbarrassed
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 05:48
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=790116

No-one has mentioned this yet?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 05:58
^ the analogy with the artist as mental patient and reviewer as analyst is a brilliant idea albeit not expressed to best effect but I suspect more people will have an issue with the one star rating rather than the content of the review. It's a very imaginative and daring piece of writing that will upset only fan boys.(so f*ck em)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 06:00
Ha!! I just read that review only a few minutes ago on the `Sea Of Tranquility' website! Knowing nothing about the band, but deciding to read a review to understand their music better, I started to read that review....then after about a migraine inducing minute, I thought `I don't have time to read this s**t' lol!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 06:10
^^ I'm more concerned about it being a previously published, recycled review - one must ask how many more we can expect if we permit this self-plagiarism.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 08:03
^ fair comment but we do need to ask ourselves whether the notion of exclusivity has any credible vestige of meaning on sites that are non remunerative and volunteer based. I'm not even sure where we can even begin to police such a phenomenon as non contractual obligation.Confused

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 20 2012 at 08:05
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 08:07
^ true, but we should not encourage them either.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 08:12
I honestly do not see the problem as wrong as it is the author's own work. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 08:19
There is nothing inherrantly wrong with it - but there is nothing inherrantly wrong with just going to the Sea Of Tranquility website to read it either. Spamming a review across multiple sites (and that includes MMA btw) is redundancy and I don't see the point of it beyond self-promotion.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 08:28
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I honestly do not see the problem as wrong as it is the author's own work. 

The problem arises because the majority of volunteer based web sites who publish member submissions are granted an irrevocable licence over such materials i.e. the author does NOT own his/her work - the act of submitting a review for example, grants ProgArchives an exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sub licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such ratings, reviews and comments throughout the world in any media, whether now known or hereafter developed

I'm sure that both of us would agree that the foregoing is pretty thorough.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 08:43
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There is nothing inherrantly wrong with it - but there is nothing inherrantly wrong with just going to the Sea Of Tranquility website to read it either. Spamming a review across multiple sites (and that includes MMA btw) is redundancy and I don't see the point of it beyond self-promotion.

I only read reviews here really, so for my part at least, I am glad he published it here too. That is selfish maybe.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 09:10
If you're going to start taking down reposted reviews, mine is not the only one you will have to take down:
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=299309

EDIT: That's just one example by the way.

Maybe mine is being singled out because people here love motW? If it makes you feel any better, I bet you my review will actually generate MORE interest in the album.

Edited by dtguitarfan - July 20 2012 at 09:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189190191 282>