Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 282>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 06:16
"Multiple horns playing in unison" Is the only sentence in which the album's music is mentioned.

Also with all the bad about the album why givin it three stars?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 13:50
^And they even admit they haven't heard the whole thing in full.
Magma America Great Make Again
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 16:34
Yup, gotta agree with both of you guys. PA is better than that. Not that there shouldn't be room for different styles of writing and reviewing, but this is just weak uninspired plodding - mostly talking about other albums and why the guy behind Fractale, who incidentally probably also gave him the music for free, is completely wack for rating Soft Machine's 7 3 stars...
And as Darryl rightly points out, he hasn't even heard the whole thing!!!!

Personally I'd feel a hell more comfortable without these kind of reviews. They serve no-one other than the person writing them, probably in order to reach some kind of ridiculous quantity.
What irritates me the most though, is the fact that this guy obviously knows how to write - just like he comes across as somebody who knows a thing or two about music. Now why don't use that, instead of this lame and apathetic approach?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 17:41
Probably doesn't break any rules, but the review still bothered me:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=881494
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 19:14
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

Why?  Seems like his honest opinion.  We can't all have good taste!  Big smile
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 21:18
I don't know...there was very little talk about the actual music, and it was a big "comparing fest." His opinion is his to express, but there was nothing really written about the music, accept that he thought the chords sounded "atonal".
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 21:27

I don't know...there was very little talk about the actual music, and it was a big "comparing fest." His opinion is his to express, but there was nothing really written about the music, accept that he thought the chords sounded "atonal".

I think it's a poor review because, as you say, he compars it to others' reviews of the album and to other Yes albums but doesn't describe the music much, he apologizes for it, etc, etc.  But he does say he finds it boring and that he likes some of the upbeat parts, which implies he's not big on the mellower parts.  I've seen a lot worse;  worse is a review like this written by an actual reviewer/collaborator about an artist who doesn't already have 400+ positive reviews to more than offset this one, and scares everyone off from buying it.  There's no such danger with CTTE
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2012 at 21:06

Ditto!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2012 at 21:15
As a reminder folks, this is not the place to discuss reviews you don't like.  This is a "reporting" thread so every time you post here it means Admin is notified.  See below for the link to Review Discussion threadThumbs Up

With immediate effect, this thread replaces the "Inappropriate reviews" . Please use it to report reviews which you feel do not comply with the PA guidelines As a reminder, the guidelines can be seen here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13152

The following basic rules for this thread will be enforced, to keep the thread running efficiency.

a) Only reviews which you think do not comply with the above mentioned guidelines should be reported.

b) When reporting a review it is preferable to include the link ("Permanent link"). The text may also be included if you think it is necessary to make an observation or a pertinent commentary

c) Once a report is done for a particular review any other reports related to the same review may be deleted unless they contain relevant additional information. Please do not simply post in support of the original report, or indeed to challenge the original report. The admin team will consider each reported review independently and impartially.

d) Issues related to plagiarism, copyrights and other legal questions shall be reported directly to the Admin Team (Easy Livin or Atkingani) by PM. These issues shall NOT be reported here.

e) Issues related to personal taste, misunderstandings, doubtful interpretations, accuracy, etc, of a particular review shall be reported directly to the reviewer by PM. These issues should NOT be reported here. (Once the final changes to the site have been made, all reviewers will have a forum ID).

f) Reports containing sarcastic or disrespectful comments toward the reviewer should not be made. They shall be edited or even deleted.

g) Reviewers whose reviews are reported may use this thread to defend their review. One report, and one response only for each review though please.

h) A new thread for the general discussion of reviews has been created here:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28344 

We thank you all in advance for helping us to improve the site while ensuring this thread remains a civil place to visit.

(Please do not post initial comments about this thread here. Use the "Reviews discussion" thread.)

Atkingani and Easy Livin

On behalf of the Admin Team

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2012 at 21:27
I think people are confusing bad reviews with reviews that actually against the rules.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2012 at 21:37

I did not report the review, yet I agree with pianoman, thus did not break any rules nor complained, one would think we can speak up here neh :) escially me being a nincompoop. .
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2012 at 21:41
3 stars is not bad my problem is that that review gave me no insight about the album Unhappy

Edited by Kati - December 25 2012 at 21:41
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2012 at 21:49
Each post here is a report.  That's the issue, this thread is only to be used for "reporting". 

Please stop discussing reviews in this thread and move to the discussion thread linked below.  Thanks

Edited by Finnforest - December 25 2012 at 21:53

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2012 at 21:55
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Each post here is a report.  That's the issue, this thread is only to be used for "reporting". 

Please stop discussing reviews in this thread and move to the discussion thread linked below.  Thanks

Yes Sir! We understood this.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2012 at 09:26
Thanks allThumbs Up

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2012 at 18:04
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Thanks allThumbs Up

HugBig smile
DanthraX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanthraX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 11:51
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=890876

I think there's no need for this guy to be insulting another band in his review, I think that's wrong
I look up, I'm almost blinded

by the warmth of what's inside me

and the taste that's in my soul,

but I'm dead inside as I stand alone...
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 12:05
^he isn't actually insulting Crimson.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 13:08
It's like Bruford insulting himself LOL
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGM: Orb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 13:23
this review and this review of Beyond the Shrouded Horizon seem to be essentially just rewrites of the same thing. The two accounts seem to have reviewed and rated more or less the same albums and given them the same ratings. Both bought the double-CD version excitedly and were disappointed, both explain their excitement by Live Rails, both name check Chris Squire and Simon Phillips, both mention Voyage of the Acolyte and Spectral Mornings as his better albums. They even both use the same punctuation (" "'s around album names) whereas both accounts' reviews of Life Line Project's Time Out use CAPITAL LETTERS for album names.

Anyway, I think it's probably a second account by the same person. If so, really odd amount of effort to go to...

And I only noticed anything because one of the reviews had the phrase 'Hackett is literally reaching for stars.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 282>