Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 282>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 10:08
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Although I'm far from agreeing with anything he said, he's still entitled for his opinion. I wrote a 1 star review to an album which a lot of people rated with 4 and 5.

Just curious.....what album was that ?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 10:13
Discussions in Reviews Discussions and Reports in Reviews Reporting .... how difficult is this concept?

and it was Return to the Sabbat.
What?
The Wasteland View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wasteland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 10:17
First time posting, and I'm saddened that it happened to be in order report a review of another fellow user, but the aforementioned Images And Words review is not only an insult to those who write reviews for a living or driven by their passion, but it stands in evident violation of the guidelines for appropriate reviewing that the OP of this thread so kindly links to:

4 - Write in an intelligent and considerate manner. Rude or insulting language (including blatant vulgarity) will not be tolerated! Show respect for other reviewers, readers, the artists, and the CD and song titles. Do not belittle reviews posted by others, their opinions are as welcome and valid as yours. It is generally best to avoid commenting on other reviews altogether. 
The following are examples of phrases which should NOT appear in reviews:  "Reviewer Joe Smith is stupid for saying that...", "Anyone who doesn't like this album is an idiot", "The band which made this album is rubbish", etc.,

5 - Do not voice general opinions on matters such as whether a band/album/sub-genre should be included in the site, whether you agree with the star rating system, etc.. Such matters should be discussed in the forum. Keep the review pertinent to the specific album concerned. The reviews section is NOT the place for initiating or prolonging a debate.

The guy is clearly entitled to have his own opinions and to 1-star whatever album he dislikes, but not all opinions make a respectful and appropriate review. This one, in my own opinion and according your own rules, isn't.

Regards,

A longtime reader, first time poster.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 10:32
Originally posted by The Wasteland The Wasteland wrote:

First time posting, and I'm saddened that it happened to be in order report a review of another fellow user, but the aforementioned Images And Words review is not only an insult to those who write reviews for a living or driven by their passion, but it stands in evident violation of the guidelines for appropriate reviewing that the OP of this thread so kindly links to:

4 - Write in an intelligent and considerate manner. Rude or insulting language (including blatant vulgarity) will not be tolerated! Show respect for other reviewers, readers, the artists, and the CD and song titles. Do not belittle reviews posted by others, their opinions are as welcome and valid as yours. It is generally best to avoid commenting on other reviews altogether. 
The following are examples of phrases which should NOT appear in reviews:  "Reviewer Joe Smith is stupid for saying that...", "Anyone who doesn't like this album is an idiot", "The band which made this album is rubbish", etc.,

5 - Do not voice general opinions on matters such as whether a band/album/sub-genre should be included in the site, whether you agree with the star rating system, etc.. Such matters should be discussed in the forum. Keep the review pertinent to the specific album concerned. The reviews section is NOT the place for initiating or prolonging a debate.

The guy is clearly entitled to have his own opinions and to 1-star whatever album he dislikes, but not all opinions make a respectful and appropriate review. This one, in my own opinion and according your own rules, isn't.

Regards,

A longtime reader, first time poster.

I second this.  I just came here to report this review, but see that someone beat me too it.  It is not a review at all, and should be removed.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 22:29
^ Everyone has the right to their opinion until such time as the exercise of same offends some folks? The act of joining this site is tacit acquiescence to the published site guidelines (read: your  theoretically limitless right is restricted to those parameters decided by the site administrators) Liberals tying themselves in idealistic knots at the very hint of an invited demurring voice..Yep, it's a very immature and ignorant review certainly but having heard said album, I happen to agree with every badly chosen word. Notwithstanding the published review guidelines, anyone has the right to call Dream Theater out for the soulless charlatans that those in your midst clearly believe them to be. You don't have the right not to be offended etc
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Life Syndrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 23:09
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ Everyone has the right to their opinion until such time as the exercise of same offends some folks? The act of joining this site is tacit acquiescence to the published site guidelines (read: your  theoretically limitless right is restricted to those parameters decided by the site administrators) Liberals tying themselves in idealistic knots at the very hint of an invited demurring voice..Yep, it's a very immature and ignorant review certainly but having heard said album, I happen to agree with every badly chosen word. Notwithstanding the published review guidelines, anyone has the right to call Dream Theater out for the soulless charlatans that those in your midst clearly believe them to be. You don't have the right not to be offended etc

Dude, the review is clearly against site rules, whether you agree with it or not.  Get off your high horse.  In fact, he broke at least 3 or 4 rules.  Plus, he didn't even REVIEW THE ALBUM.  He said he hadn't listen to more than a few minutes at a time, and has never heard the whole thing.  How can he rate it then?  I don't like DT, but I guess I should just go pick a band in a subgenre I don't enjoy, and just rate their albums "1 star" each just because I'm entitled to my opinion, right?  Sheesh.  On top of that, his other 5-star reviews actively insult other prog fans.  The guy's a troll.
theprogmind.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 23:22
I think the whole point of my reply was attempting to illustrate the shallow hypocrisy of those who preface their posts with the rejoinder: everyone has the right to their opinion when such is palpably at odds with the review guidelines. i.e you do NOT have the right to contravene the review guidelines if such contradicts your opinions
How hard is that to understand/? I am not even saddled up pilgrimWink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Life Syndrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2013 at 05:22
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I think the whole point of my reply was attempting to illustrate the shallow hypocrisy of those who preface their posts with the rejoinder: everyone has the right to their opinion when such is palpably at odds with the review guidelines. i.e you do NOT have the right to contravene the review guidelines if such contradicts your opinions
How hard is that to understand/? I am not even saddled up pilgrimWink

If you say so.  It seemed like you were galloping at full speed LOLLOL
theprogmind.com
toddbashee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toddbashee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 21:45
Sean Trane simply deluges The Flower Kings reviews with uninformative single star ratings.  I get it.  He doesn 't like them, on some deeply personal level.  But a simple survey of his "reviews" reveals that no musical information is being shared, rather a challenge to the reader to join the elite who are not easily fooled by....what? I have been writing music reviews for over twenty years, have a well-regarded book on music and psychology, and a philosophy degree, and I cannot locate his point.  It is disingenuous and self-indulgent, and offers nothing to the prospective listener.
Just Like the Kind Mom Used to Make
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 00:46
Correct.
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 01:19
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

And this is a very poor review:
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=101183
This thread is such a blast ..........I'm just sitting here crankin'.....yeah, sure mate   
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 12:24
T- Psychoanorexia

I've been looking at plenty of the people that have reviewed this album 5 stars.

~None of the collaborators have given it 5 stars
~All of the people reviewing the album give "Raven that Refused to Sing" 3 stars (The majority of them do rate this album) (and one guy says 2 stars i think)
~They all review his album either the same day or the day after they created their account
~They all rate a decent number of albums before reviewing the album. (If they are fans just attempting to write a review for him, wouldn't they just write the review instead of rating a bunch of other albums?) (Though one guy seems to just write a review)
~only 1 of them seems to have written reviews for other albums

I just feel sketched out about all this. Figured I would say something.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 12:35
^Howling at the moon

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 14:07
sorry i don't know what you mean by that but i'm sorry if i'm wrong or whatever
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Life Syndrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 14:16
Believe me, this has been discussed. I'm not sure if a decision was ever made on what to do about it, though.  There are some valid ratings for it, so I'm not sure what to do about it.
theprogmind.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 14:22
There is lunacy involved here that's for sure. What we can do about it is another matter. This is not the first time reviews of T- Psychoanorexia have been brought into question and it won't be the last. If I get some spare time over the next few days I may sweep through the database clearing out bogus reviews from common IP addresses, but to be honest it takes hours of my unpaid time for no benefit to me - I could care less who has the number one album for 2013 on our chart, and in terms of sales for those concerned I doubt it raises enough cash for them to buy a lunch at McD's for the band.

What we need to do is keep a levelheaded and not go off making unfounded accusations against people that we cannot prove. Apparently this started on another site as a  "sh*tstorm" between opposing fans and our chart is being used by those stupid fans to hype their current favourite bands. According to Olav, Thomas Thielen is as embarrassed by this as anyone - and from my experience of this behaviour in previous years, that is true of other musicians who've seen their albums hyped in this way.
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 14:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There is lunacy involved here that's for sure. What we can do about it is another matter. This is not the first time reviews of T- Psychoanorexia have been brought into question and it won't be the last. If I get some spare time over the next few days I may sweep through the database clearing out bogus reviews from common IP addresses, but to be honest it takes hours of my unpaid time for no benefit to me - I could care less who has the number one album for 2013 on our chart, and in terms of sales for those concerned I doubt it raises enough cash for them to buy a lunch at McD's for the band.

What we need to do is keep a levelheaded and not go off making unfounded accusations against people that we cannot prove. Apparently this started on another site as a  "sh*tstorm" between opposing fans and our chart is being used by those stupid fans to hype their current favourite bands. According to Olav, Thomas Thielen is as embarrassed by this as anyone - and from my experience of this behaviour in previous years, that is true of other musicians who've seen their albums hyped in this way.

My thoughts exactly.
It's no secret that I didn't particularly enjoy this album, but then again that should probably be proof of it being a serious contender for album of the year for the average prog listener into the current wave of melodic prog. The last couple of years have proven my tastes to be the exact opposite of what the general community thirsts for, and I am fine with thatSmile
Nick (progbethyname) is a guy I respect very much. He is honest and enthusiastic about what he likes, and if he says that this album touched his heart and he subsequently awarded it 5 stars - I believe him. 
So yeah hold your horses - and Dean, please wait until at least a couple more of our reviewers have rated/reviewed this thing. This is a database - not a sporting event.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 14:54
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

sorry i don't know what you mean by that but i'm sorry if i'm wrong or whatever

You did nothing wrong, sorry if you thought I meant that.
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 01:48
I'm one of the 5 star reviewers of Psychoanorexia Embarrassed and this prompted me to re-look at my review and the album. I stand by my 5 stars without any hesitation. It is a shame though when there are those who take advantage of the rating system in order to skew the scores in whichever way. I guess people can't be policed however I'm still of the opinion that reviews without written justification shouldn't be allowed - it's not hard to write 100 words. I wonder what the impact on the standings of albums would be if all of the score only ratings were deleted. We are here - or should be here - because we take music seriously and we love prog rock.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2013 at 05:59
Already reported but I have to say this review is absolute pits - written in 20 seconds with very little thought.
makes my reviews look like a thesis...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 282>