Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 282>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 08:59
I have also noticed that review. It's his first attempt to a review after a number of ratings. He started with a bunch of 4 and 5 stars then went to 1 and 2. The review doesn't say much other than "I don't understand this kind of music" and denotes also a lack of attention in listening. However, badly written doesn't mean improper or offensive, so even if its value is close to zero I think it can stay. If the admins think it deserves attention, I'd sugget to PM the reviewer and underline him the rules. Somebody did the same with me for my first review which was a 1-star to GTR. After that, I have rewritten it completely, following the rules. (my rating remained 1-star).
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
batmura View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batmura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 12:27
Resolved. Thanks to everyone involved.

Edited by batmura - August 16 2016 at 15:38
Sea of Tranquility - The Web Destination for Progressive Music
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 12:47
Wouldn't call this plagiarism by any means. He clearly mentions that it is a bit from an interview. He is basically just relegating what the band intended with the music. Sure he could've said where he read the interview but...come on. If I were you I would've written him a mail and asked him to edit the review so as readers can see where the interview is from. It's not like he plagiarised your words.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 14:58
Agree with David. Was going to edit it myself, but I see it's been edited. Plagiarism is a serious charge, and is a term that should be carefully used, but that involves passing off other people's writings, inventions or thoughts as one's own.   As said, he clearly mentions that he is quoting the musician from an interview. If he had not done so, then one might accuse it of plagiarism of the artist rather than the interviewer, but he did mention it. Where it did fall short by the terms of my formal work was properly citing the source and using quotation marks, but that seems to have been fixed. In some cases one can't quote any portions of an article by law without permission, but commonly fair dealing/ fair use policies permit quotations in such cases (in reviews, satires, academic papers, various non-commercial applications) -- that said, proper citation and quotation, as said, is good.

Generally a PM to the reviewer is considered the nicest way to address such problems. I'm positive no malice was intended by the reviewer, and the reviewer is, in my experience, a very nice person.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2016 at 12:31
Not sure it's abuse, but what is it?
A joke? A bad case of English as a second language? Or both?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2016 at 12:52
^ dozen braques ani rulez an is anglisse hes betteur dan mine.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2016 at 17:23
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

What a psychedelia ... like me in my early PA days. Tongue
Not against PA rules, anyway.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2016 at 21:07
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 15:41
LOL I'm amused at this writing too, a somewhat proto-prog psychedelia expression

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 15:45
Mandy!!! Perhaps he has returned LOLHeart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 16:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Mandy!!! Perhaps he has returned LOLHeart

YES! YES! YES! Exclamation

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 16:05
oh that review shoe fits doesn't it. Like a walk back through a reviewing time machine to PA's circa 2006.

god I miss him... and his reviews...Heart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 04:33
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

What a psychedelia ... like me in my early PA days. Tongue
Not against PA rules, anyway.
LOL

Yeah, was pretty sure it wasn't against the rules, just wanted to check with you. Gotta hand it to the reviewer though, his enthusiasm for album and band piqued my curiosity about them, so you could say the review served its purpose.
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbzr48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 15:16
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=47940 review # 1697568 by MEEK

What kind of nonsense is this? no review but copy and paste of the special guests!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 15:29
You're right, what a foolish review, and most certainly he copied/pasted directly the mail received from newprogreleases.blogspot.com without no extra contribution - such people is incredible !!!!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 00:48
So we've been at this exact same point a few times before, but do we really need yet ANOTHER dreary, angry, hateful atheist rant pretending to be a CD review from Barney?

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1742316

It's not that I (and a few others I've heard from) think the guy's an idiot, but he just can't help himself with these vicious rants, which also spill over into so many of his posts no matter how unrelated. Seriously, he should be able to find a million other sites on the web to voice his thoughts on his subject of choice, but we don't need it on a music website.

Oh, and in my case, it's not that I'm offended because I'm Christian with what he says, it's that it's an ugly, boring and abusive rant in general, and, worse, for an album review, doesn't actually discuss ANY OF THE MUSIC at all!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 11 2017 at 00:49
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 02:25
^Actually, he buried this line.."The musicianship is awesome , the prog music equally the best around at the moment". Therefore 1 star for Jesus-ing it up a bit too much?
Perhaps it's a bit of homage. Jesus did some of the most progressive work at the time and still got crucified.

But yeah, the music should probably get more of the review content.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 04:33
Heh...and to think that I actually defended his "approach" back when he did a similar review of Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope. Sure very shortly after, in this very thread, it became evident that Barney indeed was running a crusade on his own. Sorta like the old man down on the pub who after a few pints starts bitching and moaning about whatever downfalls of this day and age.
Now I am certainly not a big fan of any organised religion, but still, in my short experience on this earth I have still learned a) you will never discourage or enlighten anyone on line nor will you ever get them to rethink their ways and b) a music site is peobably a poor soapbox to stand on if you're about to do a vile rant on religion. It can be done and done gracefully and with respect...this one though falls short of just about everything bar it's obvious intention: get a rise out of Christians.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 05:03
It doesn't OFFEND me, Dave (I can't talk for some of the others that have discussed it, but I don't think they'd be any different)...I don't think it offends even one person that reads it, but I'm pretty sure there'd be a consistent `What a sad unhappy ranting b*****d' response. Probably not the `I am going to BLOW SOME MINDS' reaction hoped for in the first place. Where's that `yawn' emoticon gone?!

I sure don't read it and spray my drink all over the screen in outrage exclaiming `What what WHAT?! HOW DARE HE!!!!!' in theatrical overdramatic fashion!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 11 2017 at 05:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 06:03
Sorry mate I read my post back and it was not supposed to be a dig on people getting offended - I certainly didn't perceive your original post that way.
I still think he was trying to get a rise out of Christians by ridicule. That sort of thing almost always falls flat when it's done in such a crass way. I do not think any group of people are above criticism - good or bad - but there is a way of pointing out flaws to folks you're not in agreement WITHOUT pissing on them in the process. I learned that the hard way whilst simultaneously establishing a far beter relationship with my grandmother who is both into the big g.o.d. as well as the sonic disease called Hansi Hinterseer.
I love her and think she is a wonderful human being...but absolutely do not agree with her philosophical views or taste in music. I used to take stabs at her in my youth - mostly because I thought she'd come around and see the error of her ways, but soon realised that it was me who was in the "wrong".

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 282>