Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 268269270271272 282>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote woundedpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 09:06
I thought the review was linked.

I went back and perused several reviews before posting my rant, and sat on it for several days.

Here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2739368
woundedpig View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote woundedpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 09:29
It's interesting that folks suspected which reviewer I was speaking of prior to my posting a link.

I guess there could be abusive posts, and there are poor quality, idiosyncratic, unhelpful, even useless, etc posts.  The only area which I can think might approach the abuse level are the reviews which threw water on the reviews of others in various ways, though not by name.  
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 09:55
Originally posted by woundedpig woundedpig wrote:

It's interesting that folks suspected which reviewer I was speaking of prior to my posting a link.

And you proved those suspicions to be correct! 😜😄

They are awful reviews!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 09:57
Originally posted by woundedpig woundedpig wrote:

I thought the review was linked.

I went back and perused several reviews before posting my rant, and sat on it for several days.

Here:
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2739368

Poorly written I guess, I also disagree with what he states there. 
But abuse?! I wouldn't say so. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 13:12
The Ummagumma review is awful

"Overall - 2 stars
The first album 8/10
Sysyphus 5/10
Grantchester Meadows 8/10
Several Species 5/10
The Narrow Way - 7/10
The Grand Vizier - 4/10
it is highly recommended for PF fans and prog fans in general"

How does all that equate to 2 stars?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 13:19
His skill in maths is clearly as good as his skill in writing. 😜

projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 18:39
^ Mmm... Does a 2-star rating has to be the equivalent to 4/10 ? Not sure about that.

It means "Collectors/fans only", I don't think it means 40% on any scale.

But I agree there is a problem with this specific review, as it says "highly recommended..." Confused

Edited by projeKct - April 26 2022 at 18:42
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2022 at 10:35
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2777405

This review doesn’t discuss the music at all - just states historical facts?!?!?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2022 at 10:45
Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2777405

This review doesn’t discuss the music at all - just states historical facts?!?!?

It's not a review, and to make it worse, it's copy-paste of the bandcamp write-up: https://kawabata-makoto.bandcamp.com/album/makoto-mango

Will deal with it. Thanks.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2022 at 09:17
eh...this review says next to nothing about the musical content of the release in question: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2786683

It´s more a tirade over the placement of the album on PA, which is just ridiculous to use a review for. This sentence is probably the only valid one if we are to think of the text as a review: "Also, I hate their version of the house of the rising sun.", and even that isn´t exactly an intelligent comment...but to each his own.

Based on this review he can actually write reviews which talk about the actual music: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2786517

Edited by UMUR - August 26 2022 at 09:25
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2022 at 09:26
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

eh...this review says next to nothing about the musical content of the release in question: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2786683

It´s more a tirade over the placement of the album on PA, which is just ridiculous to use a review for. This sentence is probably the only valid one if we are to think of the text as a review: "Also, I hate their version of the house of the rising sun.", and even that isn´t exactly an intelligent comment...but to each his own.

Based on this review he can actually write reviews which talk about the actual music: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2786517

I did post something similar as a parody of his style a few weeks back.

My opinion is that this particular reviewer does PA absolutely no favours whatsoever.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2022 at 09:45
Thanks Umur.

I've deleted at least one review of his before as I recall, and I will delete that one too (this is still preferably to the one I deleted actually).

Quoting so it doesn't disappear into the ether -- mostly in case the reviewer hasn't saved it and wants to seriously improve on it (I'm in the habit of saving those I delete regardless of the quality):

One star

"This is not a prog album. And that is ok. But having said this, we are at a prog site. And I rate the albums based on their potential to enrich a prog collection. Unless the genre attached to the group indicates it's not about prog. Oceans of Slumber are labelled as Extreme Prog Metal.
I just admit I never listened to the previous output of this band. But based on this record, they should be labelled differently. Something prog related.

Having said all of this, I find it a decent record. Nothing to write home about. I gave it multiple spins to form an opinion, but I will probably never return to it again.

I rate this 1 star. Because it's not prog at all. Also, I hate their version of the house of the rising sun."

I know this person has had quite a few problematic reviews, and I will review more of his reviews anon.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 07:46
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

"I rate this 1 star. Because it's not prog at all"

It's like we're back in mid-2000s PA LOL
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 08:04
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Do we still have 'members' who insist on giving every Opeth release '5 stars' and every DT release '1 star' (or vice versa?) I think a fair amount of that needed to be weeded out back in 2005!
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 08:13
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Do we still have 'members' who insist on giving every Opeth release '5 stars' and every DT release '1 star' (or vice versa?) I think a fair amount of that needed to be weeded out back in 2005!

lol, I'm sure there are still a few members like that here and there. Or, on the other end of the spectrum, the ones who give a bunch of prog-related albums 5/5 while hating on the majority of full-fledged prog metal albums (a certain "pumpkin" user comes to mind) LOL

Edited by Necrotica - September 10 2022 at 08:13

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2022 at 08:19
(also, keep in mind that my original account was from 2006-2007 timeframe, so I've been here for much longer than 2015)

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2022 at 10:25
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=28500
This review is generic, full of blanket statements, doesn't tell you ANYTHING about the album and it's too short.

How did this person even get a Prog Reviewer badge? xD
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2022 at 10:28
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=28500
This review is generic, full of blanket statements, doesn't tell you ANYTHING about the album and it's too short.

How did this person even get a Prog Reviewer badge? xD

that's a bad one indeed, it looks unfinished LOL
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2022 at 11:08
^ Unfinished or published in error. His reviews are normally much better than that, when I’ve come across them before.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2022 at 11:16
I've noticed that in the early days of the site there were a good number of reviews that were short like this, even blurb-like, before standards were put in place for reviewers to write longer and better reviews.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 268269270271272 282>