Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 181>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews discussion
    Posted: September 08 2006 at 15:01

This thread has been created to facilitate general discussion about reviews. Please use it to discuss in civil and friendly terms, specific reviews or reviews and reviewing in general.

The former "Inappropriate reviews" thread has now been closed, and a new "Reviews reporting thread" created here:

Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Australian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 19:47

I just want to say to encourage others to spell check and read over their reviews, I'd advise everyone to write their reviews in Microsoft Word or other similar programs to ensure there are no errors or miss-information. I know many people aren’t expert English-speakers so perhaps If they are unsure as to whether their review is grammatically correct they could PM a native English speaker and ask them to read over it, I’d be happy to do this. Tongue

I’m not saying I’m perfect, or even very good, just an idea.

Edited by Australian - September 08 2006 at 22:14
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OpethGuitarist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 01:12
That's a good idea, I really need to go back and revise some of my reviews because I know there are numerous spelling mistakes.
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 08:42
Good point - I recheck my reviews every once in a while (I'll probably stop doing that once the few I've done grow into a larger list) and find spelling errors and awkward sentences every time.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 10:20
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=89329

The remark at the end is rather useless in 5 years time.

counter-report: I don't see what's the actual problem. Confused

Gatot did something like that in other reviews as well. I believe that as a P.S. it's of no major problem, not at all inappropriately (a notion which some still don't understand). Plus he just sounds enthuziastic to make some publicity regarding the event.

Edited by Ricochet - September 09 2006 at 10:23
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 10:24
Moreover, as a collab I am sure he will edit out the last paragraph from his review once the time has passed.
sig
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 11:33
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

counter-report: I don't see what's the actual problem. Confused

Gatot did something like that in other reviews as well. I believe that as a P.S. it's of no major problem, not at all inappropriately (a notion which some still don't understand). Plus he just sounds enthuziastic to make some publicity regarding the event.

So? I thought the first post in this forum contained a reference to some review guidelines, which I read minutes before reading this review. I'm sure he is enthousiastic,and I'm sure there's a reason he's an honorary collaborator (he write some of the best reviews on this site) but other people get referred to the forum if they 'pull a trick' like this.

Besides: the same first post on this thread requests a report and a counter-report (if desired) from the reviewer himself. If this is the way the acknowledged 'Prog reviewers' are going to counter reports made here by others, like myself, I'm out of here - richocet bullets are the last I want to catch Wink.
Especially since the word 'inappropriately' was not used by me, nor in the title of this thread.

Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

Moreover, as a collab I am sure he will edit out the last paragraph from his review once the time has passed.

Possibly, but that doesn't weaken my arguments above.

Edited by Angelo - September 09 2006 at 11:40
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 17:50
BTW, I moved 3 posts from the Report Reviews Thread to this one as a test... in fact, the discussions about the validity or not of some reviews shall be made here. Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 18:22
Nice move Wink

Let me add to this discussion that I was a bit pissed off about the first two reactions to my report. I still stand by it, but want to make clear here that my attack on Rico and Trickster being 'Prog reviewers' was completely off-topic. Apologies to both. Embarrassed

Back to the discussion - or rather, to the next one? Smile

Edited by Angelo - September 09 2006 at 18:23
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Australian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 18:36
Reviews seem to be getting shorter and shorter...
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 19:19
Next step should be perhaps consider valid a review with 100 words minimum instead of the present 50 words. Below 100 words reviews should not appear in the homepage and be counted as a single rating. Just an idea! Lamp
Guigo

~~~~~~
Gravity Eyelids View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravity Eyelids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 19:27
Originally posted by Australian Australian wrote:

Reviews seem to be getting shorter and shorter...

I like shorter reviews (around 100 words). Short, sweet, and to the point.
Into this wild Abyss the fiend
Stood on the brink of Hell and looked a while,
Pondering his Voyage.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 19:51
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Next step should be perhaps consider valid a review with 100 words minimum instead of the present 50 words. Below 100 words reviews should not appear in the homepage and be counted as a single rating. Just an idea! Lamp

That sounds like a good idea Guigo.Clap

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Australian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 19:52

That's a good Idea and will encourage people to write decent length reviews. Ratings without reviews should be discarded all together...
Gravity Eyelids View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravity Eyelids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 20:11

That's a good Idea and will encourage people to write decent length reviews. Ratings without reviews should be discarded all together...

I agree completely here.
Into this wild Abyss the fiend
Stood on the brink of Hell and looked a while,
Pondering his Voyage.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Australian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 20:12

At least when someone writes a review, even a short one they justify their rating.

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 04:53

At least when someone writes a review, even a short one they justify their rating.

That's true, but most reviews below 100 words contain any information besides "this is a great album" or "this album stinks" - in a slightly more elaborate way.

I could agree with a 100 word minimum, and maybe M@X can add a simple check at the review entry form that warns reviewers if post a review with less than 100 words. That warning might even persuade some of the people that vote stars without reviewing to add some explanatory text.

For me, and I guess for lots of others, the real motivator to buy an album or to leave it alone, is not the number of stars it gets, but rather the motivation behind it.
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Australian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 07:41

I think people forget that 3 stars means good, and therefore feel inclined to give every album with any good moments four or five stars.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhikkhu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 11:50

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">I think people forget that 3 stars means good, and therefore feel inclined to give every album with any good moments four or five stars.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

I agree, but I also think people don't really pay attention to how the system works. It is devised to rate according to a prog collection. That is how I rate. There are albums that I absolutely love, but don't think they are must haves for everyone. We should encourage people to use it as intended.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 12:01
I think the submit a review page suggests 75 words now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 181>