Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 181>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 12:02
It does suggest so, it doesn't warn or enforce it when you submit.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 08:20
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Next step should be perhaps consider valid a review with 100 words minimum instead of the present 50 words. Below 100 words reviews should not appear in the homepage and be counted as a single rating. Just an idea! Lamp

That sounds like a good idea Guigo.Clap

Hang on here! This kind of decision belongs to M@X as far as I know and the man does not want to delete ratings without reviews for reasons that everyone should be able to express his/her opinions regardless of the English possibilities. And extending the reviews to 100 words will make it even tougher, than!!

Note that my reviews should hover betwenn the 200 and 400 words, so I do not feel threatened by this.

Edited by Sean Trane - September 13 2006 at 11:10
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 10:43
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I think the submit a review page suggests 75 words now.

Still showing 50 words minimum, Bob. However, 75 words minimum could be a good step.Smile

In any situation, the final decision belongs to M@x and Rony... Wink
Guigo

~~~~~~
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 11:51
I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

Just above the submit review text box it says:
THE MARS VOLTA De-loused in the Comatorium review (your text here, 75+ words suggested)

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 12:22
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

Just above the submit review text box it says:
THE MARS VOLTA De-loused in the Comatorium review (your text here, 75+ words suggested)

ShockedBig smile

Guigo

~~~~~~
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 14:57
75 words! OMG...I'm like in a difficult situation. CryWink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 05:53
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Actually I disagree with this change or increase of minimal count of words. This time 75 and next year 100.Thumbs DownOuch

I dio not think it is fair to ask me to go back on all my reviews that have 50 or 55 words, add more text just in order to reach a new amount just so that the reviews stays visible.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverstoned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 06:01

Yes, we should better be demanding about quality, not quantity.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 12:09
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Actually I disagree with this change or increase of minimal count of words. This time 75 and next year 100.Thumbs DownOuch

I dio not think it is fair to ask me to go back on all my reviews that have 50 or 55 words, add more text just in order to reach a new amount just so that the reviews stays visible.

Only an idea, buddies... don't need to maul me! Cry

BTW, in the case, the 75 or 100 words rule is adopted it shall not invalidate reviews done by the old rule. It will be valid for reviews done from the eventual date of adoption.Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 14:10
As you'll see from the wording, it says 75 words recommended.

There has been no change to the parameters for checking review length (which is actually 200 characters), and no current proposal to do so.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 15:18
This one wins the prize for the worst spelling ever (e.g. "Masterpiece! that is a word you culd yuse to describe this 70's classis"

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=89876

Also an almost total lack of punctuation makes it even harder to read.

Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fassbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 15:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

This one wins the prize for the worst spelling ever (e.g. "Masterpiece! that is a word you culd yuse to describe this 70's classis"

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=89876

Also an almost total lack of punctuation makes it even harder to read.

Priceless!!! A challenging reading though... Kind of semi-phonetical style...

Seriously, though, why not to check a review before posting? Some misspellings might be avoided...
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 15:36
Mandy's rival? Tongue 
Guigo

~~~~~~
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 07:06
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=93566

"(Content removed)

It shouldn't even be in the forums,that constitutes illegal activity.

Figured that, I even got censored by Bob when quoting the review...Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 11:18
Not so much censored Angelo, I just don't like giving such reviews ongoing publicity once they have been dealt with.Wink

Starve them of oxygen and they'll hopefully go away!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 15:08
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

RADIOHEAD — Hail to the thief
Review by EMinkovitch (Eliott Minkovitch)
I was curious, so I gave it a spin. I got exactly what I expected - this stuff is totally devoid of any creativity, imagination or songwriting talent. Absolute zero in emotional content as well - it's all flat, boring, grey and whiny. Sounds like soundtrack music to a coma. That pretty much sums up this album, as it does hundreds of other "alternative" rubbish all over the radio these days.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=33970

Ermm Actually, I thought that one fell (just) within the bounds of an acceptable review. It describes the music in a vivid (if highly scathing) manner, and Minkovitch's  rating is justified by his saying that the album completely lacks "creativity, imagination, songwriting talent and emotional content."

Negative reviews can be useful, and are normally among the most concise -- or even humourous. (I have written one or two similar reviews in my time -- see Renaissance "Camera Camera.") I think that even a fan of "alternative" music (and/or Radiohead) can get a feel of what this disk sounds like, from this review.

It's a tough call, but I wouldn't have cut this one. What are his other reviews like? 

Edited by Peter Rideout - October 15 2006 at 15:14
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tardis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 15:22
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Really, why bother to review an album if you truly think you have nothing new to add to what's already been written?Confused

STEVE HACKETT

Voyage Of The Acolyte

Studio Album

Review | Album details | All reviews

Review by EMinkovitch (Eliott Minkovitch)
Posted 5:04:06 PM EST, 1/27/2005

5 stars What more needs to be added? This is an essential part of the Genesis canon.

Agreed. It's lazy and extremely unhelpful. I'm interested in getting the listener's original perspective on an album!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 15:29
ConfusedThis is a bit confusing Easy: is this the appropriate thread for reporting questionable reviews? Your first post seems to indicate it is not, but it's now being used that way, nonetheless.

(So I'm sorry if I posted/responded in the wrong thread. I have now also posted my prior post in the other reviews thread. Perhaps this thread needs a new title -- something like "Review Writing.") Ermm
He chortled in his joy.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 15:30
Peter, this review has much less than 50 words or 200 characters, it did not go to the PA homepage and doesn't appear in the album page. It counts as a rating-without-review.Smile

EDIT: Anyway, this thread split is new. One for the inappropriate reviews and the other to discuss the content (or not) of some reviews. With time, I guess that people will be used to both.

Edited by Atkingani - October 15 2006 at 15:39
Guigo

~~~~~~
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2006 at 15:32
^ See? Tardis seems to have posted in the "wrong" reviews thread too! (He's quoting my post from the other thread. Is this a technical glitch?)Confused
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 181>