Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 181>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 15:49
^ I know that, but it might be easier to keep it in one thread that admins can check with regularity.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 16:03
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ I know that, but it might be easier to keep it in one thread that admins can check with regularity.

There are many things to check with regularity. You are much more likely to get that sorted with a PM.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 16:11
I guess I ought to get my old ratings deleted too. Btw. this is the review I just finished of A Hard Day's Night if anyone wants to read it: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2121576

Edited by The Anders - May 08 2020 at 16:11
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 19:27
I for the life of me cannot understand why someone reviews a prog related album and then hammers on it for not being prog. All i can think is, well duh! IT'S PROG RELATED!!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 19:34
Facepalm* Review the music for what it is, not wether it fits in a certain genre or not. Wait till this guy finds out about Kind of Blue. I noticed he edited the all traps on earth review, its about double the length but says just as much. "Rabble rabble Anglagard clone rabble rabble boring rabble rabble I have nothing to say about the actual songs or the instrumentation rabble rabble"

Edited by dougmcauliffe - May 08 2020 at 19:42
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 22:38
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I for the life of me cannot understand why someone reviews a prog related album and then hammers on it for not being prog. All i can think is, well duh! IT'S PROG RELATED!!!!
Maybe they don't understand the PA definition of Prog-Related. Neither did I when I first joined PA, but I do now. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 08:48
1 star for Eldorado by ELO Shocked  I thought 1 star ratings were for truly terrible albums, I don't know what's so offensively bad about that album. In fact, I think it's one of their better albums. It's strange to me he says that the tunes are good but still gives it the "Poor, For Completionists only" rating.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 09:29

1 star for Eldorado by ELO Shocked  I thought 1 star ratings were for truly terrible albums, I don't know what's so offensively bad about that album. In fact, I think it's one of their better albums. It's strange to me he says that the tunes are good but still gives it the "Poor, For Completionists only" rating.

Yeah I was a little surprised by that one.  Eldorado wasn't that bad, but it makes you wonder how he would rate "Face the Music" which is quite a bit less interesting.

Zoltanxvamos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoltanxvamos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 10:03
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Yeah I was a little surprised by that one.  Eldorado wasn't that bad, but it makes you wonder how he would rate "Face the Music" which is quite a bit less interesting.

What? Who gave Eldorado 1 star? That's a pretty good album
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 11:57

I wouldn't give it one star but i find El Dorado the LEAST interesting album of the entire 70s run. Part of this is it recycles ideas and seems to drop the ball on many others. My inner musician just finds it unsatisfying. Def better than 1 star though

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 14:37
I have seen the review, and it strikes me as being honest and well written, with some decent opinions, whether I agree with the rating, or not.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 19:03

Face the Music is musical gold compared to its successors  Sleepy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 19:38
1 star for Santanas Caravanserai Cry I mean, I really dig it, maybe it's not for everyone, but a single star :(

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 19:51

1 star for Santanas Caravanserai Cry I mean, I really dig it, maybe it's not for everyone, but a single star :(

One star? Seriously? There's a reviewer with utterly no concept of Santana's clear progression from Abraxas to Santana III to Caravanserai -- from commercial Latin-tinged rock to fusion. The departure from the restraints of rock are pretty clear even on Santana III. Sorry there were no "hits" for you, bad reviewer guy. But that was not the point. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 03:58
http://www.progarchives.com/review.asp?id=2418317#social-comments

I'm laughing at the social review comment here

"If you don't like it, you clearly didn't listen to it!!!"

This is such a neo-prog fan thing, some fans take negative reviews of their favorite albums as personal attacks and feel the need to justify why they like it. I bet this guy would travel 600 miles through desert and rainforest on foot just to watch Steve Hogarth drink a glass of water. Progarchives and other peoples opinions should have no bearing on how much you enjoy an album. He ends his comment by sh*tting on a bunch of other prog artists, whats that supposed to do? Change Frisos mind? Cringe.

Anyways, nice review and i'm happy to see some other perspectives on the album, finally knocked the thing out of the top 100 as well LOL it was previously rated the same as Pawn Hearts and that just couldn't last.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 04:08
^someone was annoyed Smile

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 16:50
If only there was an option to review an album without giving it a star rating. But anyway, to me personally, the amount of stars given is not important when there's a review accompanying it.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 18:11
http://www.progarchives.com/review.asp?id=2444439#social-comments

"I've just bought this album yesterday"

How can you rate am album 5 stars, "A Masterpiece of Progressive Music" after owning it for less than 24 hours. Lol.

What is it with this album and the endless stream of 5 star reviews? I think its pretty nice and pleasant, but 4.29? No way jose, this a solid 3.8-4.0x. I'll go out on a limb here and put it this way, this album is not on streaming, the only people who are rating and reviewing it are people who are already likely massive fans of the band willing to shell out the 17+ bucks for the CD.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - September 03 2020 at 18:13
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:42

http://www.progarchives.com/review.asp?id=2444439#social-comments

"I've just bought this album yesterday"

How can you rate am album 5 stars, "A Masterpiece of Progressive Music" after owning it for less than 24 hours. Lol.

It's fine by me because he used lots of paragraphs. Hint. Hint. ;)

Edited by SteveG - September 04 2020 at 12:43
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 20:26
In the last few months I got a few free downloads of new albums by bands I have reviewed favourably in the past.  I thought both were not up to their usual standards and I was torn in a number of ways.  I don't want to upgrade the review to make them happy.  I don't want to express my disappointment to make them unhappy.  And I also wonder if it's just me not being in a space to appreciate new music.  So in the end, orat least up to now, I have not reviewed them  :(  All this to say I would rather not receive these freebies for the above reasons, and luckily, apparently unlike some people here, I receive relatively few of these.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 181>